Guitar

SLNT_FIR

I'm starting to learn guitar now! :) Acoustic Guitar. Since, I'm borrowing my guitar, I just have a quick question, the black part beneath the strings, is that meant for PROTECTION against scratching, or are you SUPPOSED to pretty much hit it everytime because of strumming or what?

AAAND ANY other tips for starters would be helpful. I'm also trying to find a good site for learning chords, (no tabs please).

I'd recommend learning how to read the tabs. They're not difficult and they're great for making learning the cords more fun. You can find free tabs and chords for songs on the internet (secular and christian)

I say this with all music instruments, but learn the scales and chords. They should become second nature to you. I'll warn you that it's boring, but if you master the scales and chords on an instrument, you can play anything.

I'd also recommend for you to find some guitar buddies! It's fun to play with friends, and they will be able to share tricks and techniques that they have learned.

The most important thing though is to master the scales and chords! ;)

Last edited:
AMEN! Chords are THE most important thing for an instrument. I know... I play piano. Second most important is the scales, but I dunno if you can do that on a guitar... and yes, playing in a group is awesome

scales.... ew. gaaah! i don't want to play notes. i'm already getting chords down. time to go check it out.

know any particularly EXCEPTIONAL sites for fingerings?

I've been teaching myself guitar for the past several years. I've doing well with my previous musical background (violin, trumpet, piano, mandolin, cello), but I do hate chords and scales. If you want to get good, focus on the scales and chords as much as possible, but try to have fun. That's why I recommended learning to read tablature. ;)

Back