Guild Roster

Absolution

Do you have a Guild Roster with the names of the guild's charaters on it? If so, I'd love to see it so that I can start putting online faces/names together with the forum names as I play.

If not, I wrote an application that automates the task of creating a roster which I used for my old guild and I'd be happy to do the same here. Here's what it looks like so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.beckb.com/jon/dogroster.htm

Just let me know.

Thanks,
Absolution

We have the 'Members List' in the top of the screen in the blue bar, but its not as detailed as your list is. Perhaps we could do that here.

Hey that is pretty slick looking. If it is easy to update with the latest info, I think it would be a great thing to have.

Let's see what Pastori and the rest of the guild thinks.

I'd be happy to. Just let me know what the guild wants to do. It makes life a lot easier for recruiting and new members. I'd basically just post a form that needs to be filled out for each character and then I pop that data into my app and it spits out the roster HTML. I can send to the webmaster (or whoever) to post each time it updates. Pretty simple but I really like it.

Thanks,
Absolution

hmm, would there be a way to have it posted on a off-site you manage? Because I could see this thing updating constantly as ppl level up and change missions. We have around 80 members so I think if we have to email the webmaster each time it might be a lot of emails.
The best case would be if you could automate it. So the player clicks a link, gets the form, and the data generates the new page immediately. Then we could just have the SoE website contain the link to the form and the recent roster. Would that be a ton of work?

If only this message board allowed edits of old posts, we could just make a thread called "roster" where each person posts once. It could have any comments on current position in game. Their signature would show you all the characters they run.​

It depends. I don't really know how this site is setup. I'm not a web guy, I'm a windows app guy so I wrote a windows app that lets me enter the data in a form and put that data into an Access database and then generates the HTML from there.

If we had someone who could handle writing a web form that would send an email to my email address with the data from the form, we could easily automate it. I've done that for other applications and it works well. I just don't know much about web development anymore. I've been out of web development for about 2 years now and it went and changed on me! :) Do we have anyone in the guild who can handle the web side of things?

I've setup web forms before but I'm not on the web team for ToJ. I would host it on my site but I can't remember my ftp password after I wiped my hard drive and the guy hosting it for me isn't responding to my emails. :eek:

Sooner or later I will be getting my own webhost and I will overhaul my website and become an affiliate of CGA.

So maybe just create a form that can be emailed to me and I'll update the roster manually for now and then we'll work on getting a web app to do it once someone who can do that is able to do so. Whatever the guild wants to do is fine by me.

Absolution

Another option is that I could write a simple Windows app that allows each user to enter the information for their characters on their own computer and save it there. The user would make changes on the app (on their own computer) and when they are ready would hit a button which would generate formatted text that they could copy into an email and send to me. My app here would take that formatted text and add/update the database and generate the new HTML for the roster. The nice thing there is that it would be easy for the members to add/edit character info and the email coming to me would be formatted so I can just put it straight into the database without having to copy/paste each field.

I don't mind doing that if the powers that be want me to. Just waiting to hear from someone.

Thanks,
Absolution

I say lets go for it! If you don't mind the time investment, I think it will be helpful and neat. As you did notice in another post, we are struggling to get the rest of the guild to use the forums. A tool like this might help encourage a few more to come. I think there are enough here that it would be worth it.

So yeah, go for it! It would be much appreciated.

Will do. It may take a little while to get it ready. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible so I don't end up with tech support problems for the tool. I'll write it using Visual Basic .Net which means that you'll need to have the .Net Framework installed to use it but I don't think that will be a problem. If you're running Guild Wars I doubt you're doing it on a Windows 95/98/ME computer so we should be ok.

Abs, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite guildmates :)

There is one more thing we need to do. The original leader of our guild, Silver Sand (our Officer Emeritus :)), has all of the info about our guild website. We need him to create administrative capacity to Mike (Sydney, ewoksrule) and myself to get everything straightened out there. Silver? Where are yoooooooooou?

It will take me a few days to get the app ready anyway. I'm not in a rush. I'm sure we'll get it worked out eventually. :)

better would be to have the app generate an XML document, which you can use a XSLT to transform into html.

I'm a windows developer, not a web developer. I don't use XML for much since there is usually a faster and easier way to do the same thing in places where I could use it (except passing data through the internet or between different OSs). I've already written an app to generate the HTML and store/retrieve the data from an Access database (when doing this for my old guild). All I really need to do is allow the users to enter/modify their character information easily and transfer that to my database vie email. This will work well and will be very simple.

If we can find a web developer who wants to do this, that would be great (it would save me a lot of work:)) but we haven't had any volunteers thus far.

Thanks,
Abso

I'm going to have to put this on hold for a while. I've got some RL issues going on right now health wise that are going to keep me out of the game for a while. I'll get back with everyone when I'm doing better but it may be a while.

Thanks,
Absolution

Back