Guardian Cub

Sounds good to me! :D

Topic: Microtransactions ruin subscription-based gaming.

GO!

Agreed. But, I also think time based MMO's suck too. If you have the time to grind 1k bears to get a 1% drop to make you elite, while I am having a life. Then you are better than I am? I don't like it. But, it is what it is.

But, real money in virtual economies is always a bad thing. See gold farming.

If used in moderation, they can be good. If developers use the concept of 'pay us cash to be good', then no, just...no.

The problem is the companies are after profits. So, it always ends up pay us your mom's money so you can be good.

I like where this is headed.

Let me see if I can stoke the fire a bit with:
Current transactions in WoW are annoying (though not yet gamebreaking) because they help some people get achievements more easily than others. For some people, achievements are endgame - not raiding. A person going after a mount or pet achievement is at a distinct advantage if they have real life money to spend on mounts/pets found in the store, and do not have to spend time farming some of the harder ones to find in-game.

I'll just put a little quote from my namesake in here and let it simmer:
"Whatever men expect, they soon come to think they have a right to: the sense of disappointment can, with very little skill on our part, be turned into a sense of injury."

"I have cash, so I expect to be able to turn that into phat lewtz"
"I have time, so I expect to be able to turn that into phat lewtz"
Until Blizzard unveils their plan to let people buy tier gear, I don't think we're looking at a "Pay2Win" type MMO, (for references on Pay2Win see: Warzone Inc, APB Reloaded & AoEO)

If WoW actually had a legit AH system they could borrow EVE's PLEX system. Best form of MMO Microtransaction in the world. It would put a huge dent in RMT, it makes the person who bought it with RL money happy, makes the person who bought it on the AH for gold happy, and makes Blizz happy.

But of course they'd probably have to redo their Auction House system into something that doesn't suck.

Roughly 1.25k for 1$ which is far less then I make for an hour of work. So I saved time selling it then spending time earning G.

Heh now they are selling for 6k, win for getting on that ball quickly before the market got flooded

Did some quick napkin math, I think it's interesting, G6k is roughly the Azeroth-wide average for cost, and also within a $.08 variance of the price of gold on the average Gold Selling site.

[Tinfoil Hat]
The Gold Sellers will buy 10-12 cubs, clean out the AH and be able to adjust the gold prices manually now, /[Tinfoil Hat]

Back