Great RPG games?

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Hi all,

I really like the concept of RPG games, but I haven't found any really good ones recently. I don't currently own any, but base my opinion on reviews and a little bit of research into the game.

I prefer non-violent (I don't mind fights, but heavy emphasis on dismemberment and blood is just too much), heavily story-driven games. I think a fantasy setting is usually best, either science fiction like Star Wars or old-world fantasy similar to LoTR. Honestly, I loved World of Warcraft, and I wouldn't mind coming back, except it's just not so much about the fantasy; there are just too many players and too many distractions. Still though, I'm considering it.

Oh, and I would prefer newer RPG's, like, say, released in the last 4 years or so.

Thanks for your help!

I would say Dragon Age, but the blood is so over the top. XD Mass Effect 2 is excellent, but it's less RPG and more third-person shooter with a great story.

And... there's uhh.. [insert massive console gaming list here].

I only really know of Bioware's games for the PC. xD

And... there's uhh.. [insert massive console gaming list here].

Ok, I concede. How about for Xbox or PS3 (btw, which console has the better games?)

And thanks for the recommendation ewoks.. I'll look into it :D

Anything Bioware is RPG gold. Bethesda is equally awesome with their Elder Scrolls series. Even though it is ancient by gaming and graphics standards, Morrowind remains one of the best open world RPG experiences to date. Also, you need to get 'caught up' so you can be just as excited about Skyrim as everyone else.

Bioware stuff aside (which, as has been mentioned, is pretty uniformly great) I really haven't played much in the way of RPGs in recent years, but there some old ones I can recommend in case you missed them.

Planescape: Torment would probably be my highest recommendation. I would rank it, and I'm not much of one for ranking things, as one of the very best games I've ever played. Very heavy emphasis on story and dialogue, so be ready for a lot of reading if you play this.

Fallout 1 and 2 are great if you can put up with some of the very much M rated content. The story is pretty good, but what really makes the games stand out is the freedom in building your character. You can make a super smart guy who talks his way through the whole game and never gets in a fight, a blithering retard who's strong enough to punch holes in people but can form a complete sentence, or anything in between.

Morrowind is another favorite of mine. A lot of people prefer Oblivion, but I really feel that aside from the clunkier combat Morrowind is the better game. The game world is far more interesting and creative, there is more flexibility in building your character, and the quest chains are more numerous and more sensible (for instance you have to actually be a mage to complete the mage guild chain, you can't just be the top of every guild as a single class)

King's Bounty: The Legend is a fun game, though it might be a bit of a stretch to really call it an RPG. It's primarily small, tactical, turn based battles with RPG trappings like talents, inventory and an overworld. Pretty light on the story with mostly comedic trappings, a lot of fun if occasionally frustrating.

A few others worth mentioning:

Arcanum - I've read that this was good, and it looks interesting, but I've never gotten around to playing it.

Jade Empire - An xbox1 era RPG from Bioware that's not quite as high profile as KoTOR, very action oriented.

WoW Cataclysm - Yeah it's fun, a really solid expansion, but do you really want WoW gnawing away at your life they it always seems to? (at least for me) Still, it might be worth revisiting for a little while.

If any of the really old stuff is interesting it can all be found on GoodOldGames, though I can't speak for how well they've gotten them to run on modern machinery.

Guildwars on PC, more of an "online co-op RPG" than anything.

Haven't seen much good in the latest console generations as far as RPGs go, though PS3 definitely has better games (but not as active of an online network). Emphasis seems to be on pixel count over game quality nowadays. Hate to say it, but the DS looks like it's had the most good RPGs the past few years.

Dangit Ryan beat me to it. But yes, Guild Wars has an amazing easy to follow story line. There are fights but they're really rather family friendly. Not to mention you can get all 3 games for like $25-30 Dont think that includes the Eye Of The North expansion or not, check around on steam or amazon. No monthly fees as well, so there's not any pressure to play it whenever you get the chance.

If any of the really old stuff is interesting it can all be found on GoodOldGames, though I can't speak for how well they've gotten them to run on modern machinery.

All my experiences with GOG.com are good. (but most of them involve DOSBox, so....) But, you can always check the forums for a particular game and see if there are any common issues people are having with it, if there is an easy work-around.

Also, it's nowhere near new, but the Might and Magic games are awesome party-based dungeon crawling adventures. And the first 6 are on GOG for $9.99 for the entire collection. (warning, you will require graphing paper of some variety to play 1 and 2 without getting horribly, horribly lost)

Back