Great PC game deals for Valentine's Day

Jabberwocky

Had to share that Amazon is having a ton of great deals on computer games today. You can see the full list here.

Here are some highlights:

• Dungeon Defenders for $3
  • Modern Warfare 2 for $5
  • Bad Company 2 for $5
  • Rift for $7
  • Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box Set for $5

Gametap is also having a V-Day sale with some good deals.

We'll see if Steam joins in with Valentine's Day deals of their own.

I keep putting off buying Dungeon Defenders. At $3... I may have to cave. Lemme check my Steam list to see how many people play it first. haha

This would be a great time for me to check the CGAstore to see if it happens to be in there. :D

If I had my HTPC/"console" PC built and hooked up to my HDTV, I'd pick up Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box Set in a heartbeat. But playing a racing game on a 17" laptop screen with a Logitech F710? Meh. Racing games were meant to be played on BIG SCREENS.

If I had my HTPC/"console" PC built and hooked up to my HDTV, I'd pick up Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box Set in a heartbeat. But playing a racing game on a 17" laptop screen with a Logitech F710? Meh. Racing games were meant to be played on BIG SCREENS.
Yes they were. In arcade machines, too. :D /remembers playing Crazy Taxi at the arcade

Also. If Atown comes around here, he can hook us up with CGAstore links.

In the meantime, I pieced together a makeshift link that should still give CGA referral credit for Dungeon Defenders if anyone wants it.

I picked it up before you put up the CGA referral credit, but yeah im excited for 3$ for dungeon defenders.

Add your DunDef Valentines DLC today while its still free!

(for those unaware, they usually give their holiday DLC free during the event, then charge for it after)

My son and I have gotten a lot of "mileage" out of Burnout Paradise. The game is a blast and can be a lot of fun in multiplayer.

My son and I have gotten a lot of "mileage" out of Burnout Paradise. The game is a blast and can be a lot of fun in multiplayer.
Oh, I'm sure it's awesome. But I'd much rather have the PS3 version than the PC version in this (rare) instance. Unfortunately, the PS3 version is not currently available on Amazon (and it would probably cost 3-4 times the sale price of the PC version if it were).

Oh, I'm sure it's awesome. But I'd much rather have the PS3 version than the PC version in this (rare) instance. Unfortunately, the PS3 version is not currently available on Amazon (and it would probably cost 3-4 times the sale price of the PC version if it were).

Yeah, that is one of the ways I can justify the cost of a PC over a console, if I am not an early adopter, I can get many of the games for 1/10 of the price.

Having said that, we may pick up a PS3 this Christmas. I want SSX, Marvel vs. Capcom, and some other PS3 exclusive titles.

Yeah, that is one of the ways I can justify the cost of a PC over a console, if I am not an early adopter, I can get many of the games for 1/10 of the price.

Having said that, we may pick up a PS3 this Christmas. I want SSX, Marvel vs. Capcom, and some other PS3 exclusive titles.
I'd recommend against spending money on Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 unless you have people to play local multiplayer with.

Judging from past experience, playing UMvC3 online will consist of getting hit once then getting juggled in a combo that last long enough for you to go and make a sandwich, eat the sandwich, put the plate in the dishwasher, run a load in the dishwasher, and come back in time for the last hit (slight exaggeration). But if you only plan to play with others in your home (couch versus, instead of online versus) or plan to invest hours upon hours into improving, then have at it.

But I suppose the same could be said of almost any fighter with online versus.

(IMO, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is more fun than UMvC3 for the non-hardcore fighting game fan. TvC is way more fun than I expected it to be.)

It's also been my experience that the most-hyped PlayStation exclusives are good, but it's the more obscure system exclusives that really shine (on the PS3, the PS2, and the PS1).

EDIT: Kendrik should probably weigh in on UMvC3 to balance out my opinion.

EDIT#2: You might also want to wait for the third iteration of MvC3 before spending money. It's not certain that Capcom will release a third version of MvC3, but, given Capcom's track record, it's highly probable. I made the mistake of buying SSFIV before Arcade Edition was released and I'm still a little salty about it.

Last edited:
I actually agree with you on the TvC > UMvC3 issue. I also agree that the infinitely long combos online is maddening. That said, I don't think it's an online-exclusive feature... if you'll allow the expression. UMvC3 tries to make fighting games accessible... and instead makes combo fests that have little to do with mind games and everything to do with execution of ridiculous, never-ending combos that you read on someone's website.

I still find the game a lot of fun when playing with friends, even online, but it's really bad in my eyes. King of Fighters XIII is an infinitely better fighting game... not that I'm a fanboy or anything. >.>

That said, from all I've heard, UMvC3 Turbo (or whatever we'd wanna call it) isn't likely to happen. UMvC3's sales were not what Capcom hoped for (surprise!) if memory serves correctly.

I was just about to purchase Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box on Amazon when I checked the Steam page (looking for system requirements, which, if I read correctly, my aging laptop does not meet) and read the following:
EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com.

INCLUDES SOFTWARE THAT COLLECTS DATA ONLINE NECESSARY TO PROVIDE INGAME ADVERTISING.
No sale. :(

And it's a shame, too, because the game has great reviews.

@Tek7 & @Kendrik:

Thanks for your opinions. I love TvC and know how tough it can be to compete online in that game. If MvC3 is a lot worse, than I will be in no hurry to buy it.

Regarding Burnout:

The "EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES..." line may refer to the fact that they have already retired the online Burnout Paradise store so that you can no longer purchase DLC such as the DeLorian (i.e., car from Back to the Future).

Regarding Burnout:

The "EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES..." line may refer to the fact that they have already retired the online Burnout Paradise store so that you can no longer purchase DLC such as the DeLorian (i.e., car from Back to the Future).
My greater concern was the part about in-game ads. No me gusta.

My greater concern was the part about in-game ads. No me gusta.

The ads are fairly unobtrusive billboards that do not detract from the game, IMHO, and most of them look like fake products. I am guessing they have run out of paying advertisers.

Anyone else nab Skyrim when steam had it for 33% off? I hadn't bought it yet and couldn't let that opportunity pass me up lol.

Back