Gotta love the news

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Last edited:
First news story: ...is that news? Nope. :| Although skewed press coverage seems to be a fact of life nowadays.

Second one... that's just disgusting.
And stupid, in my *humble* opinion. ;)

A DUI? I thought it was possession of marijuana?

Possession is, in my mind, a lesser offense than DUI, because DUI involves a deliberate disregard for the safety of others. Possession without intent to distribute is unlikely to harm anyone but the user.

A DUI? I thought it was possession of marijuana?

Possession is, in my mind, a lesser offense than DUI, because DUI involves a deliberate disregard for the safety of others. Possession without intent to distribute is unlikely to harm anyone but the user.

it was driving under the influence of marijuana

...skewed press coverage seems to be a fact of life nowadays.

I've got to be careful, because I could *sooooo* easily turn this into a political debate... so here goes my attempt at not doing that...

Oddly, I was having the same discussion with my wife and her parents the other day. We've all but stopped watching the news because every station except FOX is so far liberal. I find it frustrating that all the local stations don't bother to check their facts before they run a story (there have been several where they just blatantly make stuff up because they don't have information yet).

What I'd like to see? A honestly neutral news agency. I don't care about Paris Hilton, Bush's daughter, Gore's son, Snoop Dog, or any of Hollywood... unless someone did something big or cool to help people, save a life, save the environment, or feeding the hungry. I don't care about that Shehan lady protesting for 3 years after her son died in Iraq....while she neglects her other 2 kids at home. I care about the news - the weather, which sports teams won, the traffic, events coming up in the community, etc. Cut the fluff and make it a 15-minute show instead of the 30 minutes of trash that they currently show. If I wanted all that other crap, I'd buy the National Inquirer or Star.

I've got to be careful, because I could *sooooo* easily turn this into a political debate... so here goes my attempt at not doing that...

Oddly, I was having the same discussion with my wife and her parents the other day. We've all but stopped watching the news because every station except FOX is so far liberal. I find it frustrating that all the local stations don't bother to check their facts before they run a story (there have been several where they just blatantly make stuff up because they don't have information yet).

What I'd like to see? A honestly neutral news agency. I don't care about Paris Hilton, Bush's daughter, Gore's son, Snoop Dog, or any of Hollywood... unless someone did something big or cool to help people, save a life, save the environment, or feeding the hungry. I don't care about that Shehan lady protesting for 3 years after her son died in Iraq....while she neglects her other 2 kids at home. I care about the news - the weather, which sports teams won, the traffic, events coming up in the community, etc. Cut the fluff and make it a 15-minute show instead of the 30 minutes of trash that they currently show. If I wanted all that other crap, I'd buy the National Inquirer or Star.
++, I don't even turn on the tv much anymore except for shows I want to watch.

++, I don't even turn on the tv much anymore except for shows I want to watch.

Heros for the win!

Durruck, I completely agree with you. I'm appalled that people would rather hear about the hotel girl rather than news in Iraq. And I'm appalled that they never say anything GOOD that is happening in Iraq. I am also appalled at their blatant lack of support for our troops. It's treason -- sentence: death by *insert gruesome description here*.

Yup the news today is blatantly one sided in their views. Greater than their obvious party leanings though is their sensationalism IMO. Put it on no matter what it is as long as it gets viewers. A couple years back they interrupted midday cartoons to put on a live police standoff on the highway. The police had stopped a distraught woman in her car and she ended up coming at them with a knife.. they shot her dead. Nice thing for all the kids to see. The news station apologized of course, but, it was stupid to put it on in the first place. Probably from the same people that aired "Jerry Springer" right before the cartoons used to air.

In general TV has gotten way out there anyway. They don't even have midday cartoons anymore and almost no weekday morning ones (on regular TV). There used to be controversy over shows like "Sex in the City" and "Southpark" when they where on cable. Now both shows are on regular TV, late night, every weekday and I've heard no complaints about it. Not to mention the "Girls Gone Wild" ads that air every day around midnight and on Saturday at 5:30 am :(

Heroes is one of the few shows I will watch too :), although they could have done without a couple things in a few episodes.

What I'd like to see? A honestly neutral news agency. I don't care about Paris Hilton, Bush's daughter, Gore's son, Snoop Dog, or any of Hollywood... unless someone did something big or cool to help people, save a life, save the environment, or feeding the hungry.
Agreed.

My degree is in Communication and I focused on Journalism and Mass Communication. I want to work as a reporter in print journalism, but I'm saddened by the sensationalism that has come to define modern media.

Print journalism is the last medium to be overrun by celebrity news, but even newspapers are starting to carry tripe disguised as news in a desperate ploy to win a new generation of potential customers while the previously reliable customer base begins to die off.

Local broadcast journalism, at least where I live, is a farce.

News is a business.

My company says that we're not like everyone else, that we want to provide a service, and if we make money, great. What a bunch of baloney. (Baloney is bull, bolgna is a lunch meat.) My company wants to make money, just like every company out there, whether that's CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, the NY Times, Washington Post, Clear Channel Communications, or any other "unbiased" organization.

Rush Limbaugh has 3 hours every day on virtually every talk radio show in America because he gets ratings and makes Clear Channel millions, not because he's unbiased. Katie Couric got an ungodly amount of money from CBS because they thought she would bring in ratings, not because she's unbiased. Michael Moore will make millions more from his "documentaries", which are basically political ads people pay to watch.

Let's face facts-- any organization with any motive is going to be biased. Journalism cannot help but be skewed toward sensationalism, and extreme viewpoints are more interesting than moderate ones.** Extreme viewpoints get ratings. Ratings = money. Money = happy shareholders. Upper management = company's #1 shareholders. Therefore, extreme viewpoints = happy upper management.

**(The only exception I've noticed is in Christian talk radio, which aims for the dead center of Christianity and offers viewpoints from Word of Faith to Catholicism and everything in between. I guess beggars can't be choosers.)

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff;233879 said:
News is a business.

My company says that we're not like everyone else, that we want to provide a service, and if we make money, great. What a bunch of baloney. (Baloney is bull, bolgna is a lunch meat.) My company wants to make money, just like every company out there, whether that's CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, the NY Times, Washington Post, Clear Channel Communications, or any other "unbiased" organization.

Rush Limbaugh has 3 hours every day on virtually every talk radio show in America because he gets ratings and makes Clear Channel millions, not because he's unbiased. Katie Couric got an ungodly amount of money from CBS because they thought she would bring in ratings, not because she's unbiased. Michael Moore will make millions more from his "documentaries", which are basically political ads people pay to watch.

Let's face facts-- any organization with any motive is going to be biased. Journalism cannot help but be skewed toward sensationalism, and extreme viewpoints are more interesting than moderate ones.** Extreme viewpoints get ratings. Ratings = money. Money = happy shareholders. Upper management = company's #1 shareholders. Therefore, extreme viewpoints = happy upper management.

**(The only exception I've noticed is in Christian talk radio, which aims for the dead center of Christianity and offers viewpoints from Word of Faith to Catholicism and everything in between. I guess beggars can't be choosers.)

there is one exception to that. the failed Liberals News Network cable station that they tried to create in canada i believe. their motto was "reporting it as raunchy as it gets." or something to that effect. sometimes too much sensationalism can have a downgraded effect

It's always been like that... a long time ago William Randolph Hearst was involved in a ratings war with Joseph Pulitzer.
He had all of his newspapers and magazines printing sensationalist(read false) stories about the sinking of the Maine and Spain being responsible.
Pulitzer did the same thing. That's practically the main reason we fought that idiotic war.

Scum...

It's always been like that... a long time ago William Randolph Hearst was involved in a ratings war with Joseph Pulitzer.
He had all of his newspapers and magazines printing sensationalist(read false) stories about the sinking of the Maine and Spain being responsible.
Pulitzer did the same thing. That's practically the main reason we fought that idiotic war.

Scum...

lololol believe it or not i was JSUT reading about that in my hsitory books alst week >.>

but movies have gotten even worse than tv. seems every movie has some blasphemy and at least one gay reference. ive been surprised by the lack of nudity in movies latley but they make up for it with using gods name in vain and having a gay reference in every other scene.

Yup.

It's like that where I work.

You know, in America; you used to be unable to become a schoolteacher in some towns if you drank or cursed. Sets a bad example for the children, you see.
Good times..

Back