Got my new PC parts.

Corpfox

Gigabyte Motherboard, Corsair PSU and RAM, and i7 Core CPU.

Nice...hehehe...

Should take me a couple hours to installed them. Though, its very annoy once again, to re-format my hard drive...

Really excited. This is my first non-single cpu PC with DDR3 RAM! :eek:

From Single Core to Quad Core... :D

:confused::mad:

1. "Apply an even and thin layer of thermal grease on the surface of the installed CPU."

WHAT THERMAL GREASE!?

2. New Mobo has many 3 pin connectors, but where do I put the 2 pins connectors!?

3. DxDiag shows I have 8 CPU while CPU-Z shows 4 CPU, 8 Threads.

Maybe its mixed up since I did not re-format the HDD.

WOW, video card STILL BOTTLNECKS with SF4!

SCORE: 8339
AVERAGE: 43.22FPS
CPU: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor
Memory: 3326MB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Video Memory: 256MB
Display Setting: 1280x1024 60Hz

:confused::mad:

1. "Apply an even and thin layer of thermal grease on the surface of the installed CPU."

WHAT THERMAL GREASE!?

2. New Mobo has many 3 pin connectors, but where do I put the 2 pins connectors!?

3. DxDiag shows I have 8 CPU while CPU-Z shows 4 CPU, 8 Threads.

Maybe its mixed up since I did not re-format the HDD.

The 3rd pin is for monitoring. Usually 2 pin connectors will slide on to the 3 pin rail thingies.

The i7 has hyperthreading, which enables 2 threads per core, which is why a quad core would show up like a 8.

The 7900 is an old card now. Video cards tend to actually improve performance wise between generations, especially when compared against CPUs. Because the actual core design is incredibly simple it is relatively easy for the company to redesign it over and over again. For example the current offerings from ATI and Nvidia both utilize hundreds of simple cores on the same die. With the next generation they could use a totally different instruction set because of the intermediary drivers. CPUs tend to evolve slowly because of how complex they are.

Nice Parts, most people think a Quad core cpu is not worth it, but they will notice a immediate improvement over a single core, you did not say which model of I7 so I am guessing the 920, a Great Video card to Massively Increase your Video/FPS Performance would be the GTX 260 or Higher :)

Nice Parts, most people think a Quad core cpu is not worth it, but they will notice a immediate improvement over a single core, you did not say which model of I7 so I am guessing the 920, a Great Video card to Massively Increase your Video/FPS Performance would be the GTX 260 or Higher :)

in gaming right now no quad is not relaly worth the extra cost...however in most multimedia/ desktop applications it helps..if nothing more it helps you run more things at once since you have more cpu's to share the load.

I thought about getting GTX 275, but I could wait for the GTX 300. ;)

New Parts

Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GLAN CrossFireX Motherboard

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

Corsair XMS3 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit

I was worried about the Video Card not fitting as a GTX 275 is 10.5M and my Case length is 10M (with the HDD rack).

During installing, I notice the PSU is slightly smaller to the width of my case.

Other than that, the extra cables are currently using the free space of my ROM slots.

But no one has answer my first concern.

WHAT THERMAL GREASE?

I asked around and its possible that its underneath the FAN for the CPU, because I did notice a yellowish plastic or jello.

BTW, I've never used THERMAL GREASE on my AMD CPU and it still been working for 3 years!

Last edited:
But no one has answer my first concern.

WHAT THERMAL GREASE?

I asked around and its possible that its underneath the FAN for the CPU, because I did notice a yellowish plastic or jello.

BTW, I've never used THERMAL GREASE on my AMD CPU and it still been working for 3 years!

If you used the heatsink that came with the CPU then chances are it was already applied on the bottom. It really isn't so much like grease as it is putty...

What Vibro said.

It should look like a small square patch on the bottom of the heatsink.

Nice quality parts you got there too!

:)

I bought extra paste just in case for my build, but I didn't need to use it since my E8400 came with it already applied (grey, like putty).

/shrugs

Well, its positively my lag for SF4.

Off-line, pure awesomeness.

Get decent 60 FPS, even on the cinematic, no slowdowns, YAHOO!

But on-line and Super Combo/Ultra Finishers, toooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwww. :eek:

Gonna try it wired. No doubt, that should work. Then I'll also try it closer to Router on Wireless.

Playing wireless from the Basement. Router is 2 floors above me.

The new parts are cool; the PSU sounds like a Starship while my DVD-ROM sounds like a F1 Formula. :(

Last edited:
Arctic Sliver 5... I always keep a tube on hand. Even with new heatsinks I would scrap off theirs and put on Arctic Sliver

Back