Going rate to kill pastor: $250

Shebaely

Not sure how many of you have read of know of this, so I thought I would post it. Please keep our brothers and sisters in India in your prayers.

This came from World Net Daily, but we were actually told about it Sunday in church. The pastor had actually spoken to a pastor in India and was asking for us all to pray.

-----------------------------

FAITH UNDER FIRE
Going rate to kill pastor: $250
Rewards offered for murdering Christians, destroying homes, churches
Posted: November 20, 2008
11:30 pm Eastern
By Chelsea Schilling
© 2008 WorldNetDaily

Hindu extremist groups are offering money, food and alcohol to anyone who murders Christians and destroys their homes.

The violence is nothing new in Orissa, India, where India's Communist Party estimates that more than 500 Christians have been killed by Hindu mobs in Orissa since late August, 12 times more than official government claims of only 40 homicides.

But now the stakes are even higher – and pastors have a bounty on their heads.

Faiz Rahman, chairman of Good News India, said Hindu militants are targeting Christian leaders, the Christian Post reported.

"The going price to kill a pastor is $250," he said.

Rahman, a head of several orphanages in Orissa State, said he's helped 25 pastors to leave refugee camps, but 250 Christian leaders are still in shelters.

"All of the pastors are high value targets," Rahman told the UK-based Release International. "We've got to get them out of the refugee camps."

An All-India Christian Council spokesman said, "People are being offered rewards to kill, and to destroy churches and Christian properties. They are being offered foreign liquor, chicken, mutton and weapons. They are given petrol and kerosene."

One official said he personally authorized "cremation of more than 200 bodies" found in jungles after Christians were blamed for the death of Hindu leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati on Aug. 24. They continue to be persecuted even though Maoists openly admitted to murdering Saraswati.

Thousands of homes and churches have been destroyed, and an estimated 50,000 Christians have been forced to flee the violence. Mission Network News estimates 5,000 Christian homes have been burned and 200 churches ruined. According to the Christian Post, 30,000 people remain in government-operated refugee camps. Tens of thousands are living in forests – many seriously wounded.

Father Manoj, based at the archbishop’s office in Bhubaneshwar, said Christians remain in hiding.

"They are too scared to go home. They know that if they return to their villages they will be forced to convert to Hinduism."

Religious rights group Barnabus Fund told the group Hindu militants "forced" Christians in Orissa to "convert" to Hinduism by threatening them with rape if they refused.

Neighbors reportedly gang-raped a Hindu woman after her Christian uncle refused to renounce his faith, according to reports.

Another Christian woman named Jaspina was told by neighbors, "If you go on being Christian, we will burn your house and your children in front of you." She and her family were forced to eat cow excrement to "purify" themselves of Christianity.

Other Christians were doused with gasoline and told to participate in conversion ceremonies or be lit on fire.

This week, Hindu extremists said they have set a deadline for the capture of Saraswati's murderers. If the killers are not caught by Dec. 15, they promised to begin a massacre on Dec. 25, Christmas day.

According to the latest report, Orissa's Catholic bishops wrote an ominous letter to the state's chief minister. It read, "This conflict is a calculated and pre-planned master plan to wipe out Christianity from Kandhamal in order to realize the hidden agenda … of establishing a Hindu nation."

That's pretty sad! I can't find any mention of this situation that doesn't cite WND, so I'm not going to trust any of the details, but there's no question that some Christians get persecuted around the world!

What scares me even more is Christians' reactions to this story. You see dozens of comments about people buying guns and 'preparing to be martyred' or offering to kill Hindus for free... Jesus doesn't need us to defend Christianity with violence, with every Christian who dies loving their enemy, a thousand seeds are planted! With every Christian who goes down shooting, Christ is seen as a weak god who can't protect his followers.

May Christ be with us all!

This is not a scam. The church we went to on Sunday actually supports a missionary in India. This pastor in India actually was asking for prayer due to this situation. I believe since he lives there, he would know what is going on.

That's pretty sad! I can't find any mention of this situation that doesn't cite WND, so I'm not going to trust any of the details, but there's no question that some Christians get persecuted around the world!

What scares me even more is Christians' reactions to this story. You see dozens of comments about people buying guns and 'preparing to be martyred' or offering to kill Hindus for free... Jesus doesn't need us to defend Christianity with violence, with every Christian who dies loving their enemy, a thousand seeds are planted! With every Christian who goes down shooting, Christ is seen as a weak god who can't protect his followers.

May Christ be with us all!

/agree

...and proof that there are extremists on all sides of a discussion willing to condone or participate in violence

I am not going to take the story seriously either, but that does not mean I believe this doesn't happen.

It is truly sad that people cannot just live with one another and accept their views as different.

Oh, I know there is violence against Christians in India! Of course there's violence against Muslims and Hindus in India, although I understand that Christians are getting the worse end of it at the moment.

I have some Indian friends through academic connections, and while they aren't impressed with the state of affairs in India, they make it very clear to me that the vast majority are just interested in getting on with life and getting along with each other. It's amazing how just a few extremists can paralyze a community so quickly and so completely -- especially when they can control mobs of otherwise rather reasonable and moderate people.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression -- there have been a notable few cases where I was directly involved in WND stories where they pushed a 'martyred Christian' story by twisting the truth beyond recognition, even fabricating quotes or details. Since then, I've regarded them as more a pro-Christian tabloid than a news agency. Sure, they report some stories that more reputable newspapers won't touch, but at least some of the time it's because those stories are less truth than sensationalist pandering to a specific audience of Christians.

google voice of the martyrs and click on the india link if you want a 2nd source.

Pakistan Daily covered it in an article as well.

I have a good family friend who lives a few hours up the road who has set up churches in the middle of places where the people would've happily lobbed off your noggin for free nevery mind $250

Back