Going back to college...

To summarize - schools - even Christian schools are not the end all and be all in life education - just a beginning point.
Everything else you said was good. The only problem I have with this is assuming that Christian school is a beginning point. I'd hope that one would have a good solid foundation before attending a Christian school.

For the record, my entire experience of Christian school consists of about 2 months in kindergarten before my parents decided it was too expensive. I'm a product of secular schools, my parents faithful guidance (away from secular ideals) and God's grace.

Just 2 months after we were married my wife and I went to a bible school in Italy. Turned out we would serve there and stay for 3 years. It was a fantastic decision and I would make it again if I had to do it over.
The only thing that bothers me about further education is that it really puffs me up. When I constantly take in good theological teaching with very little output, I become self righteous big time.

I look forward to hearing how it goes for you guys.

Last edited:
Oh hi back sorry for my disappearance for several days.

My question is whether it is run like some authoritarian army hierarchy system, like most secular courses where the lecturers demand respect, stress stress and more stress, exams exams and deadlines, or is it the more nurturing, church-like, cell group atmosphere where everyone is valued and equal (ok, someone is still in charge, but I mean everyone is respected) and the staff are understanding, that I expected learning about the bible to be in.

most of my program is online. So it's guided by a professor through worksheets and "homework" and essays and required reading... but to say that it's army-esque would be a mistake. So far in the process, I've felt nothing but loving, helping, compassion from the people that I've had interaction with. It seems that they put together a really good program and want everyone to succeed (without just pushing people through for the money)

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I've been the college teacher that you describe and seem to have a major problem with. But the only reason I got like that was because the student had a major problem with motivation, being assertive, applying himself, and taking the class seriously. He was a distraction for other students, and was actually becoming a stumbling point for those around him. I was hard on him, but finally got through to him. He finally saw my perspective and did a complete turn-around, becoming one of the hardest working students in the class. Do you think that Helen Keller liked Anne Sullivan early on? No! Anne was tougher than nails on her, but it got her to learn.

2 Timothy 3:16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

It doesn't say just for teaching... but for rebuking and correcting and training. Scripture itself isn't always nice. There are times when you have to abandon what you formerly believed because it isn't Scriptural-based. Was it easy for Lot and his family to walk away from their homes? No. Was it easy for Moses to pick up his family and move without knowing where they were going? Was it easy for Hosea to marry a prostitute and face public scorn? Was it easy for Saul to give up his position as a Pharisee and serve Jesus?

If you've read much of the Old Testament, you'll see that God was hard on Israel. He demanded a lot of them. Even Jesus demanded a lot of his followers. Matthew 8:22But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." and Matthew 16:24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

That doesn't sound easy or nice to me.

Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

When the time comes that I have to stand up for what I believe... and someone calls into question my faith, I am preparing for a battle that will change their heart and mind. A little blood, sweat, and tears (and hours of study at a college, regardless of what I think of the staff) is nothing compared to knowing that God will someday use me to reach another lost soul. If I'm supposed to be ready, but I do not train, how can I help those who God intends for me to help?

That is very good to hear. Thanks for enlightening me on this, was beginning to think all bible collages were being run like state school. Yes discipline is necessary but it is good to know it isn't HAY IM GREATER THAN YOU BOW DOWN TO ME.

That is very good to hear. Thanks for enlightening me on this, was beginning to think all bible collages were being run like state school. Yes discipline is necessary but it is good to know it isn't HAY IM GREATER THAN YOU BOW DOWN TO ME.

I'm curious - why did you think Bible colleges were like that?

Because I met someone who painted it as living hell. Or at least thats what I understood, didn't exactly hear the whole thing (was pretty young then). It gave me the impression that it was even more hierarchical than secular schools.

Last edited:
Oh...well...you can't always go by what you hear.

This has been an interesting discussion. Thanks everyone.

indeed, sorry it was just meant to be a casual question since he just came out of there. Didn't mean to raise a ruckus. Instead it threw up a lot of other thought provoking stuff...

Back