God's power

cc.slim

This is something I would ask within the Men's forum but I can't see why God's power wouldn't fit all.

We know God's presence reeks and people do strange things. I am so afraid of this because of the attraction. I have so seen this power abused. And what makes me ask is, I was in a quik trip(Tulsa) and I had an overwhelming feeling to give this stranger a hug. No clue who he was. I found out at check out when a young guy asked him to auto graph a book. T.D. Jakes. Kinda of odd to feel that pull.

So how do you all deal with this?
Wolves can abuse his words but not his spirit right?

Satan comes as an angel of light more often than he does as an agent of darkness.

True, but also remember that a) Satan is defeated and b) the sheep know the voice of their master (John 10:27). The urge to give someone a hug out of the blue does seem odd to me. I guess I would first engage that person in conversation mentioning the fact that you were prompted to speak to him. Ten to one, if it was a legitimate prompting from the Spirit the reason for the hug would become apparent very quickly (ie. that he was going through some bad mojo and needed a godly man to show legitimate compassion).

Blackaby says sometimes we give too much power and credit to Satan. He was an angle and he does come at times as a being of light (one of his more useful tools against us) but being indwelt by the Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), we have the ability to "test the spirits" to see if a message comes from God (1 John 4:1-3).

I'm reminded of a conference I was at with Reggie McNeil (I think it was him). He says that he is always looking for a way to bless others. When he goes to a restaurant and he is about to pray for his meal he asks his server if there is any way he can bless him (ie. can I pray for you, but he couches it in less "churchy" language). Many times this will open the server to sharing his or her problems which in turn can become a place to begin sharing the Gospel.

Last edited:
You are correct about all that you wrote but that was not the context of the original question. Slim stated he felt a desire to go hug a man who turned out to be T.D. Jakes. A man who is obviously a false prophet with no true Holy Spirit power. So where did the desire to hug this man come from?

He obviously has a magnetic and charismatic personality that draws those around him but where does that power come from? Is he using corrupted Holy Spirit power as a wolf in sheep's clothing or is his power coming from another place?

Satan has a lot more power than we give him credit for and when we underestimate him, we give him even more. Yes, he is ultimately defeated but before that time comes the Bible tells us that he will have power to deceive even the saints. We have Christ in us and access to His Holy Power but most of us give it up thru unrepentant sin and by rubbing shoulders with the world too often.

You are correct about all that you wrote but that was not the context of the original question. Slim stated he felt a desire to go hug a man who turned out to be T.D. Jakes. A man who is obviously a false prophet with no true Holy Spirit power. So where did the desire to hug this man come from?

He obviously has a magnetic and charismatic personality that draws those around him but where does that power come from? Is he using corrupted Holy Spirit power as a wolf in sheep's clothing or is his power coming from another place?

Satan has a lot more power than we give him credit for and when we underestimate him, we give him even more. Yes, he is ultimately defeated but before that time comes the Bible tells us that he will have power to deceive even the saints. We have Christ in us and access to His Holy Power but most of us give it up thru unrepentant sin and by rubbing shoulders with the world too often.

Ok, yeah I misunderstood the question. I thought the recipient of the hug was the young guy. That does indeed put a new wrinkle in the situation.

Ok I usually don't get in these debates as they tend to cause "hurt feelings" and those tend to be mine, BUT and a VERY BIG BUT here.........what if God, Himself, was trying to use cc, a Christian from my understanding, to spread His love and work toward bringing an unbeliever to Christ. From personal experience, sometimes a more gentler approach may make a HUGE difference. You know we ARE supposed to love EVERYONE as we first were loved. Just some words for thought.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

Sometimes words don't land like they began.
I'm like sis and prefer to leave the carpentry to Christ. Less splinters that way.
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 kjv

I can say my bad for even mentioning Mr. Jakes but I can't because he was on the path I had to take. See at the time I was down and out and looking for answers to all my why and what if's. I slipped into qt for a suicidal slurpee like I did every work day. Well I was on layer two and and I sensed something behind me so I turned and to face the back of a man the size of an nfl linebacker swizzling his coffee or something like that. Now he had no idea that my suicide slurpee suddenly took backseat to the overwhelming feeling to Thank Christ! But I suddenly couldn't form words to introduce myself. I followed him to checkout side by side and that's when his name was revealed via a book with his pic that I saw as the guy walked back with it. So I webbed his name up and there it he was. I never once had a clue who he was until after the fact. So of course I ask into the feeling of spontanious attraction. The scripture above has teach and rememberance and with no influence in words or actions I was led to rememberance. Went to foundations church the following sunday to the message Despicable Me.

I can't find anywhere that a wolf can have light because of their darkness.
So I testify the spirit is real and weaker vessels are attracted to it.
What power prayers do you elders, leaders, ect use to focus on when you share the spirit?

I truly believe the whole "love everyone" is taken out of context more often than "judge not". It's great to love others as Christ has loved us but we are to mark and avoid those which cause contention or come to us with another Gospel or another Jesus. TD Jakes clearly comes to us with another Gospel and another Jesus and so must be avoided.

Romans 16:17-19
Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

Galatians 1:9
As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2 Corinthians 11:3-4
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15
For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 John 1:10-11
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Ok. So after driving 10 hours and discovering our presentation DVD player is dead (again), I may have answered a bit more aggressively than I wanted.

If God leads you to approach someone in love then do it. However, test the spirits and see if it is actually of God and not just the charisma of satan. We are called to love everyone as Christ loved us but it's important to keep in mind what He also taught about false prophets and wolves in sheeps clothing. His dealings with the religious leaders of those days weren't filled with hugs and acceptance but rebukes and truth. Those selling and making profit in the temple certainly weren't greeted with a hug or a holy kiss but were beaten by Christ with a corded rope.

I truly believe a lot of our churches today have lost power and have lost their way because they are so busy loving everyone that they fail to see satan walk in the front door or stop him once he gets inside. America especially has such a politically correct "we all see truth in our own way" attitude that there is very little hope left for it because satan has darkened so many eyes to the truth under the guise of "love everyone".

Awesome directions! So if the way I'm reading into this then we have "In light" and "As light" one being a reflection and one pure. The gift of the Holy Spirit cannot be as, so it is special(Don't we know)to us. Could there of been message in the reflection that kept my hands down and mouth shut while my eyes absorbed. Or could it have been in light that bore the same results. I dunno? I'm not a well versed but it seems step through step I was still lead to the cross. What still eludes is why I turned around? Lol I'm not nuts! Just silly! Correct me if I've swayed plz.

If God is real and if God inspired the Bible, then we should worship God as the Bible demands. We should certainly post the Ten Commandments in our courthouses and shopping centers, put "In God We Trust" on the money and pray in our schools. We should focus our society on God and his infallible Word because our everlasting souls hang in the balance.

If God is real and if God inspired the Bible, then we should worship God as the Bible demands. We should certainly post the Ten Commandments in our courthouses and shopping centers, put "In God We Trust" on the money and pray in our schools. We should focus our society on God and his infallible Word because our everlasting souls hang in the balance.
And what government in this world do you trust to handle that appropriately? Separation of Church and State is not to protect the government from religion, it is to protect religion from abuse by government. Same can be said of the entire Bill of Rights. It exists to protect everyone from government tyranny since that is what the founding fathers were fighting against.

Yes, it would be great for it to be that way with our entire society worshiping our Creator as He deserves. But ultimately, Christ declared that His kingdom is not of this world. Seeking to do what He declined to do (institute an earthly theocracy with Himself as the ruler) puts us in a precarious position.

Of course it should be pointed out that one day Christ will rule and reign here on Earth and there will be a Christ centered government over all the world. But that's during Christ's 1000 year reign when satan has been locked away so it's kind of a different situation.

However, He did institute government in the form of Israel and it's kings and He did bless America when it was focused upon Him so there is a powerful argument in that direction either way. Just because it seems impossible doesn't mean that shouldn't be our aim for nothing is impossible for God.

The Bible promises that anyone is able to know God's will, be forgiven of sin, resist temptation, endure hardship, serve obediently, and receive eternal life. God provides the power we need through Jesus' blood, the Scriptures, prayer, hope, love, and other Christians. No one needs to be lost. Anyone can overcome their past, achieve victory over sin, and become what God requires him/her to be.

First, we're living into such a crazy world where you have no idea about what people have in their minds. I think hugging a complete stranger as someone that you had close relationship with is kind of strange. As someone mentioned, a conversation after shaking hands would be the best way to start in order to try to know each other at some level.

People today also need reassurance that we can succeed in being right with God.
People who are not Christians are sometimes overwhelmed by the sacrifices Christians must make, the work to do, habits to change. They become so discouraged they do not even try.
Christians may also become discouraged as they try to live for God and find they have failed in some area. Some give up entirely. Others pretend to serve God while living in sin and excusing themselves by saying they simply cannot accomplish what the Bible says.
The purpose of this study is to show that God has provided all the blessings we need to serve Him successfully and receive eternal life.
These blessings are available to everyone. We must meet conditions that require effort and sacrifice, but all of us are capable of meeting these conditions. You can have God's power working in your life!
Consider the Bible promises. Note words referring to power, strength, and ability in these verses.

A glass won't sweat out what has been put inside but what can be accepted inside man will. So for good or bad I smelled or sensed as I call it Embrace Refuge and I waited until I went to church to do so.

Back