God's Name

I think...

Matthew 22:34-40 The Message (MSG)
34-36 When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Sadducees, they gathered their forces for an assault. One of their religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: “Teacher, which command in God’s Law is the most important?”

37-40 Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ These two commands are pegs; everything in God’s Law and the Prophets hangs from them.”

or if you prefer

Matthew 22:34-40 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
34 When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, 35 and one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” 37 He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”

or maybe this better suits your preference?

Matthew 22:34-40 King James Version (KJV)
34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Keep those and all is good...

Amen, Icthus. And thanks for asking that question, Lloren...I was wondering, too. Another question I have is, how in the world do you find sites like that?

I read the articles. They seemed to me to be perfect examples of Matthew 23:24, "You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." It is just much ado about nothing.

When Jesus spoke of the LORD - he didn't use that name. He said, "Lord," or "Father." Nor did he instruct the disciples to use that name. In fact, when he taught the disciples to pray he suggested the word, "Father." Just one reason the religious leaders wanted to kill him. Had he actually used, "Yahweh," they might have actually stoned him with or without Roman approval.

I'm a bit skeptical of the accuracy of a site that essentially claims observing Christmas is sinful and that the Sabbath MUST be celebrated on the 7th day only.

Um, I hope your not under the impression that I'm trolling because I ask a legitimate question... :(

You didn't pose a legitimate question. You posted a link to two controversial articles and asked "What do you think?" This is the third controversial topic you've posted and those three threads contain your only posts. If you are interested in starting a discussion, posting links to marginally accepted (diaphora - not central to orthodox Christian belief) web sites and quotes then discuss it. What do you think? Do you agree with the author? Do you think he has some good points or rather do you think he's off base? Perhaps you are relatively new to the faith and are not sure what to think. Where did you find this? Did a friend send it to you? Did you stumble on it by yourself?

I come from an education background. You con't learn to think by listening to others alone, you learn by engaging the material in a community.

Well I do understand the idea of showing respect to God by using is name Yahweh. Well there is something I've studied in John chapter one, when it says in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. In comparison to scriptures in the Old Testament when God says he esteems His Word even higher then His name. Jesus has been called the Word, so while Yahweh is very good to use and it's something God has placed on my heart to call Him by, it's not required bc He esteemed His Son even above His own name.

Back