GFC Chapter a Day Bible Challenge (Book of Proverbs) January 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy. Proverbs 27:6 (NLT)

Thank God for friends who care.

Proverbs 27:8 As a bird that wandereth from her nest, so is a man that wandereth from his place.

A bird that strays from her nest puts both herself and her family at risk of predators or malnourishment, and the same is the case for a person who strays from the place God wants them to be.

Proverbs 25:8 said:
do not bring hastily to court, for what will you do in the end if your neighbor puts you to shame?

Don't jump to conclusions or make hasty decisions. Especially against people who are your friends!

Proverbs 26:13 said:
The sluggard says, "There is a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets!"

Making up excuses so you don't have to work has very bad consequences.

Proverbs 27:2 said:
Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.

I'm really struggling with this one right now. In my company, it seems unless you tell people how great you are, you don't get noticed, or worse you get laid off...

Walk straight—live well and be saved; a devious life is a doomed life. Proverbs 28:18 (MSG)

Saved or doomed - we get to choose.

Proverbs 28:2 said:
When a country is rebellious, it has many rulers, but a man of understanding and knowledge maintains order.

I keep getting emails from certain family members about the upcoming November elections when we can vote on Congress and such, many of the emails are calling them mini rulers of the United States. I think this is far truer than most believe. OUr country has become rebellious and we are paying for it.

Now we just need the second part of the verse. Who is gonna take a stand?

The righteous despise the unjust; the wicked despise the godly. Proverbs 29:27 (NLT)

I think it is interesting how we will boldly and even proudly declare that we do not despise anyone - when the Bible teaches there are quite a few people we should despise - not quit praying for and reaching out to lovingly - but, none the less, despise what they have become.

Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

Look at the contrast here -- if you suffer for not having any vision, studying and obeying the Word of God can give it to you!

If you have been a fool by being proud or plotting evil, don’t brag about it—cover your mouth with your hand in shame. Proverbs 30:32 (TLB)

Proverbs 30:33 Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife.

Anger provoked inevitably brings about strife, so if you don't want to end up with more conflict in your life than necessary you need to learn how to properly deal with anger in yourself and be cautious around other people who don't discipline themselves to do the same.

Proverbs 30:1 said:
The sayings of Agur son of Jakeh--an oracle: This man declared to Ithiel, to Ithiel and to Ucal

Think about that for a minute. The guy was known as an oracle and his words were deemed important enough to write down.

In our own time, we have people on most every street corner claiming to b e an oracle, or a psychic or prophet... They can see something no one else can. But is it true? IN most cases it probably isn't. A lot of psychics are only trained in observation and speak in vague generalities, however there are many who deal with evil spirits who give them information about the people...

It takes a man of wisdom and knowledge of the Lord to know whom and what you are dealing with. It's pretty obvious where Agur was. God must have blessed him with with a lot of wisdom if his words were deemed important enough. :)

Charm is deceptive and beauty disappears, but a woman who honors the Lord should be praised. Proverbs 31:30 (TEV)

That is probably a gender neutral truth.

Proverbs 31:17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

I think it's often tempting to be selective of the tasks we do based on what we feel comfortable with in our current state of strength, but the correct approach is to honestly evaluate what all really needs to be done and then strengthen yourself however you need to in order to accomplish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back