Getting Rich in GW2

What will be the most profitable Crafting Discipline?

• Armorsmith

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Artificers

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Chef

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Huntsman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jeweler

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Leatherworker

• Tailor

• Weaponsmith

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Prophet Elhanan

So the HoM discussion got me thinking about earning coin in GW2.

What do you guys think the most profitable crafting profession is going to be?

From the VERY little I know about crafting thus far, I would wager Chef since it seems to require a lot more, which I would assume equal to more expensive/rare items. However, I think crafting would not be the way to GW2 richness, why would I buy armor from you when I can just craft it myself? I understand that I may not specialize in armor or I may not have the skill/materials for it, but half the market is gone because they can craft their own products, and sell them as well, driving prices down.

If you're going to make money from crafting and I had to guess. I would say chef also. This would simply be because I think alot of people are going to pick profession crafting, say leather and huntsman for the adventurer and so on. Also food, if I'm remembering right, is consumable so people will need a steady supply. I would say the best way to make money though would be resource gathering. Just my pennies worth of thoughts.

Chef because there will be a constant market for consumables, just as in GW. If you think you will need a class specific item you can just specialize in crafting that. As I have stated before we may actually wind up with a need for guild chefs to help keep the guild supplied with consumables. So far in the early stages in Beta the drops for weaps and armour seem to be fair to middling.

Edit: "Getting Rich" is not necessarily a prime concern for a lot of players in GW, but you do amass money and items by the simple expedient of picking up all drops, and selling unwanted items, the formula looks like it will also be applicable to GW2. Just keep "Auto Loot" checked and watch for shineys, which will take more skill in GW2 than in GW.

Last edited:
Since each character can have two crafting professions, I'll end up having one of each eventually, only crafting with the ones I think are enjoyable and/or profitable. It will be nice to be able to craft armor for several characters at once without having to do it per character. The only caveat being, it crafts to the crafter's level, so it bcould cause issue for the under-80 characters later on.

Actually, in GW2 they've said you can only have two crafting professions "active" but can switch them without losing recipes or levels in them. So actually, you can develop ALL crafting to max level on every character.

Actually, in GW2 they've said you can only have two crafting professions "active" but can switch them without losing recipes or levels in them. So actually, you can develop ALL crafting to max level on every character.

The only catch is it gets increasingly more expensive to switch as you gain more and more crafting levels. I would guess that it would not be profitable to constantly switch between high level crafting disciplines

What is the cost, Stc? Has it been defined yet?

It might actually be something we want to try to coordinate in the guild - so we can do some "at cost" crafting for each other. If we had several people willing to progress in an area for the good of the guild...that could help.

GW2 Wiki said:
They can pay a master craftsman to switch, at cost of 10 bronze/Level in the target discipline. Taking on a new discipline is always free, while switching back to a maxed discipline (at Level 400) costs 40 silver.

So maybe it won't break the bank depending on how often you switch.

I'm not sure I understand the need to switch... if the items generated are not bound to the character.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to make character A my Artificer and Jeweler, character B my Huntsman and Leatherworker, etc.? and send the needed materials back and forth between characters? You would only have to progress them far enough to get to the workbenches, right?

However, I could see it being more efficient, especially at first, to max out ONE line and become an expert for the guild, and catch up in the other lines later. Hmmm. Sounds fun!

I'm not sure I understand the need to switch... if the items generated are not bound to the character.

I was thinking the same thing especially if we have different people in the guild specializing in other disciplines.

I wish they would get rid of the cost to change disciplines too. Seems just like a gold sink to me and is easily gotten around by changing characters like you said Brydon.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to make character A my Artificer and Jeweler, character B my Huntsman and Leatherworker, etc.? and send the needed materials back and forth between characters? You would only have to progress them far enough to get to the workbenches, right?

There is a thread on Guru discussing the fastest way to level, and apparently an ANet employee has said that you'll get enough experience for 10 levels for each craft you take to max level. So this could be a good way to get a jump on alts. If you bank mats and keep three alts for crafting, you'll have three level 20 characters when you're tired of your main.

I haven't figured out what my main prof is, but when I do I'll post up the crafts I plan to do. I'm more than happy to exchange mats and provide gear for guild members.

I was thinking the same as Brydon....why switch? Aren't there 6 crafting disciplines? Maybe 8, i don't remember. I plan to have 5 characters so each character can tackle 2 crafts and still have room left over. I'm interested in chef and Weaponsmith primarily but will definitely give all of them a try.

So far I like the ability to craft extra storage space for your toons. That's a win-win right there. :D

As far as making money is concerned, that's never been a priority for me with games. My main goals in any game I play are usually just to get to maxed levels/titles/skills/etc. I want level 400 in all crafts and I don't care how much I gotta spend to get there!!!

lol - don't give Raven the guild credit card.

I didn't know we would be able to craft storage space. That's great.

Back