Gems & Gold

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
Anyone have any good words on using gems for gold or gold for gems?

Any positive or negative experiences maximizing gems?

Anet takes a cut when go from gold to gems, so you cant really go back n forth to make money. It is not the same ratio each way.
That being said, if you figure 800 gems is $10 and 100 gems is 25 silver. basically 1g=$5 which when you take into account that a Legendary weapon costs well over 500g you have a single item that is worth $2,500 USD!!

2 bank expansions was the best (and only) gold->gem purchase I've ever made. I doubt I will ever buy gems with real cash, though. Not sure if I will ever buy more - maybe some inventory bag slots, but that seems largely useless once you get into making the 12-slots.

That is helpful.

I want to expand my bank - carry bigger bags - and get the grandmaster book for traits - all take more gold than I have.

Currently 500 gems = 1g 75s 85c

If you're in a pinch and really need some gold then you can trade the gems for gold, otherwise I'd only trade gold for gems. Not worth it buying gold with the gems.

That makes sense...I think.

I'm just now trying to figure this out.

I keep getting these in-game emails about buying cheap gold. I've just been reporting them as spam.

You should be able to get enough gold via TP and general gameplay (getting lucky with unidentified dyes, or just selling all unIDed dyes for 4-5s) to afford pretty much anything on the gem store you could want. I got an extra character slot with 2g from selling a Black Dye.

You will need to buy mystic stones with gems for the end game gear. Not sure there is a way around it.

I believe the cost is 25% when you go from gems to gold. IE: right now 100 gems costs 40s, but if you pay $$$ for 100 gems, you will only receive 30s. Ouch. This pretty much takes investment out of the picture. As far as how to acquire gems (gold versus money), that of course would be a personal preference.

As for bags, my personal opinion is that 15 slot bags is the magic number. 18 slot costs 2 gold for only 3 extra slots...you can buy a full extra 15 slots for about that price. So 18 slot bags cost you 4-5 times more for the storage than extra slots + 15 slot. Well done there, ANet. I'm absolutely astounded that 1 abyss dye = 2 character slots. As far as the bank slots, they are definitely a bit cheaper per slot than character storage. 30 slots for 600 gems...versus 15 slots for 400 gem + the bag. Of course, you can't have them with you at all times, but this shouldn't be an issue for what you're wanting to store.

Then there's deep storage; IE: another character. If you truly need to store some junk, 800 gem + 2g snags you ~84 slots of storage.

Cheapest option by far: don't carry so much junk. I have real difficulty with this, as I tend to save things for a rainy day. Then I realized many of the rare crafting components (like destroyer sliver) cost only a few copper on the TP. Definitely not worth keeping.

Yeah, I looked at the site but not sure where he's getting his profit/cost info for crafting. It's not very accurate. For example he says it will cost 6s to make a 20 slot leather bag and it sells for 10g for a massive profit, but to make a 20 slot bag you have to buy a superior rune of holding which itself costs 10g. I guess he's only counting the cost of the mats.

Yeah, I looked at the site but not sure where he's getting his profit/cost info for crafting. It's not very accurate. For example he says it will cost 6s to make a 20 slot leather bag and it sells for 10g for a massive profit, but to make a 20 slot bag you have to buy a superior rune of holding which itself costs 10g. I guess he's only counting the cost of the mats.
I have been really testing this and it is actually quite accurate.
The bags are broken because the Database is missing the cost of the rune of holding. If you drill down you can see that. Other then the bags, its very solid.

It's very accurate, but it isn't live. So with things that have large fluctuations, it may be a bit off.

Back