...Gaming?

Cypher

Not really. I don't know enough about coding to make anything else. This is a thread I made a few days ago. I soon realized it would be better in this catagory and so I made a new thread here. Sorry to those who already given their opinion.

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on these forums. I've actually got a question to all those seasoned MMO players out there and even gamers in general.

I'm 23, single, and a recent college grad. I'm going to be starting out on my own come June and I'm considering whether or not to continue gaming (especially MMOs). I'm not a hardcore, but I can be an addict at times.

I use to play WoW for a little bit and I'm still not sure if I'm going to move over to SW:TOR when I'm able to. I mainly play any kind of game for either the story or social aspects of the game. Playing a game for the sake of playing a game isn't my thing.

Would love to hear y'alls advice on this.

Hey Lloren!

Just finished reading that thread you posted. Though you addressed if gaming is sinful or not, I was still left wondering if gaming (though not inherently evil or sinful) is benificial to a Christian. My dad and I have discussed this to some degree.

Violence isn't really an issue. The main concern is the time consumption and lack of fruit produced. We can all play video games for 15 minutes or several hours (if not days), but is that a good investment of one's time? Also the amount of money put into video games.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if gaming is a good investment in time and money.

The main concern is the time consumption and lack of fruit produced. We can all play video games for 15 minutes or several hours (if not days), but is that a good investment of one's time? Also the amount of money put into video games.

Let's stretch this out to leisure time in general (if that's what we are talking about). If someone is playing video games truly as a ministry or to connect with a friend and witness to him/her then no, but likely we all play video games because we enjoy doing so. It's fun or it's relaxing.

With permission, can we adjust the question to 'Is leisure time permissible or beneficial (or neither) for us as believers?'

TheMonkey's bible states that God rested on the 7th day and that God commands us to remember the day of rest and keep it holy. TheMonkey thinks God may have invented leisure time.

TheMonkey's bible states that there is a time for everything a season for all activities under the heavans. And that we are to find satisfaction in all our toil, which in TheMonkey's opinion means that we are to find satisfaction in all that we do and that this is the gift of God.

What did God do when he rested, TheMonkey does not know for sure. Maybe God had a banana split!

I guess I'm trying to figure out if gaming is a good investment in time and money.
I suppose it differs for each person. Some people might find it a waste of money (games can be expensive and a lot of them have no replay value) and prefer to spend their time differently. Some people might find it the way to unwind. Or have some social activities through gaming (with friends from "real life"). It's just a activity to relax, a hobby, leisure, etc. Just as some love to buy and read a lot of books for relaxation.

It only becomes a problem when you yourself start to feel uncomfortable, or if you feel that you spend too much time or money on gaming.

But that is the same with other things as well; if you are consumed by a hobby, you might not have enough time left to do other productive things. Or if you are someone who collects certain items, you might be careful not to overspend. Or if you play music, that you pour money in expensive instruments, etc.

So no. It isn't by definition a bad or a good investment of time or money. If you like gaming and do so in moderation, I see no problem.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. It was really great to hear all the different perspectives and I'm come to my own conclusions.

Mainly, gaming can be beneficial and wholesome in moderation. While money and time do affect how much one is able or should play, they are only side factors to the main deciding factor: one's relationship with God and others.

If gaming (or anything for that matter) is causing one to be unable to reach out to others and be a light for Christ, then the thing or matter in question should be reevaluated or even eliminated from one's life in order that one be able to serve Christ to their fullest potential.

Even the reason of it being a hobby or something done to relax is not as big of an issues as the one previously stated. For any hobby or form of relaxation can get out of hand when done out of balance.

I guess in a sense gaming is one of those issues that must be decided on a personal level. For if gaming is something that causes you to waste or lose the valuable time we have, then it is something unwholesome and should be removed. However, if done in moderation, gaming can be wholesome and beneficial to one's life. Guess it's all on your own experience.

Thanks again to all who posted!

Mainly, gaming can be beneficial and wholesome in moderation. While money and time do affect how much one is able or should play, they are only side factors to the main deciding factor: one's relationship with God and others.

If gaming (or anything for that matter) is causing one to be unable to reach out to others and be a light for Christ, then the thing or matter in question should be reevaluated or even eliminated from one's life in order that one be able to serve Christ to their fullest potential.

Even the reason of it being a hobby or something done to relax is not as big of an issues as the one previously stated. For any hobby or form of relaxation can get out of hand when done out of balance.

I guess in a sense gaming is one of those issues that must be decided on a personal level. For if gaming is something that causes you to waste or lose the valuable time we have, then it is something unwholesome and should be removed. However, if done in moderation, gaming can be wholesome and beneficial to one's life. Guess it's all on your own experience.

Cypher, do you mind if I steal a bunch of this for a post I'm supposed to put together for Tek7? I should have it done this weekend, Lord willing.

I will also take inspiration from TheMonkey's use of scripture :)

TheMonkey's bible states that God rested on the 7th day and that God commands us to remember the day of rest and keep it holy. TheMonkey thinks God may have invented leisure time.

TheMonkey's bible states that there is a time for everything a season for all activities under the heavans. And that we are to find satisfaction in all our toil, which in TheMonkey's opinion means that we are to find satisfaction in all that we do and that this is the gift of God.

What did God do when he rested, TheMonkey does not know for sure. Maybe God had a banana split!

The observations TheMonkey made were based on the follow:

Genesis 2:2-3
Exodus 20:8
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Ecclesiastes 3:13

And a little from the BBB, you know, the Big Book of Banana's!

Back