Gamer Gate: Why aren't Christians more involved?

Full Metal

About 9 months ago, things really hit the fan in terms of gaming and the gaming media. I'm sure by now everyone has heard of gamer gate, and the backlash against gaming media and their egregious lack of ethics. My question though is simple. Why as Christians do we sit on the sidelines? I've seen a great many atheist/agnostic videos defending gaming and the industry, while pointing out the inherent injustices foisted by an overtly biased media attempting to push an sjw agenda. The only one moderately Christian person I've been able to find is Liberal Lunacy on Youtube. The rest are decidedly atheist/anti-theist. So, why does this seem to be the trend? Why are we sitting back and letting others (especially anti-theists) speak for us?

Last edited:
Far too busy playing all the amazing games coming out. With all the e3 titles about to start shipping, I got no time to care about this topic. I'm much more worried about how I will balance my time to get all these games in.

Just being honest.

I actually looked up what that was a while back but I've forgotten by now so I can't comment for or against it.

Off the top of my head I'd say Christians tend to concentrate on causes only a Christian would care about because no one else is going to tackle them. When your priorities are determined by what Christ would have us do it doesn't often align with the world and even when it does the order of those priorities generally differs.

Now there was a big effort to wipe out some disease a few years back and a few Christian groups teamed up with secular ones. Can't remember anything except U2 and Bono were in it (too tired XD). Regardless the idea there was to wipe it out completely which required a big collective effort. So it does happen but if secular people are handling a problem Ministry is a lot more important.

Last edited:
Because we are not called to be a political force or the moral police. We are called to preach the gospel and make disciples.

I keep trying to post a reply, but the words keep coming out wrong, so I'm going to be as succinct as possible:

Please don't mistake a lack of involvement for apathy. GamerGate raised important questions for the games industry and the enthusiast media, but many Christian gamers (myself included) lack the time and resources to write informed op/ed articles to help guide debate. Cheryl, as owner of CCGR, was directly affected by the events and questions at the center of GamerGate and I felt her response was right on the mark. Most of the rest of us aren't directly involved in the games industry. We're more spectator than athlete.

Many CGA community members, myself included, are living a season of life where free time is precious and I think we'd all prefer to spend it playing games rather than discussing the state of the industry and video game "journalism." I think most of us have valid concerns about organizations misrepresenting their intentions and loyalties, especially when they purport, implicitly or explicitly, to hold to an ethical and moral standard.

But--and this is just my own personal opinion--I think many of us older folks (30 and over) viewed many gaming news sites as thinly veiled advertising platforms to begin with, so they didn't have far to fall in terms of reputation.

Those of us who've been around a while have also learned that, yes, the video game industry and its hobbyist media is overwhelmingly pro-liberal and anti-God, though there are, of course, exceptions, just as in many industries.

I think the course prescribed in Cheryl's post is a very wise one and a model for gaming enthusiast sites: Be transparent about your operations, hold yourself and your writers to a high standard of ethics, and wear your bias on your sleeve (because everyone has a bias).

Furthermore, I think it's an exercise in futility to get mad at sinners for sinning. It's what they do. We can't be surprised when secular organizations promote a world view or agenda that contradicts Scripture when Scripture clearly tells us that man, by nature, is not seeking after God but openly and violently rebelling against Him. Of course, the Bible also tells us that we, too, were rebels until God, through His Holy Spirit, drew us to Himself. We have no merit for salvation in ourselves or our works; we are saved only by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

No, we should never dismiss sin or make light of it, but neither should we hold non-Christians to a moral code the Bible teaches it is impossible for them to uphold (just as it's impossible for us to uphold without the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit).

So much for succinct, eh? :)

You know, I completely agree with the sentiments you've all shared, and would be happy to leave it at that however there is a big "but" attached to it. Youtube and other social media sites are absolutely littered with videos like this Feminism, taking STUPIDITY to the next level: https://youtu.be/CPZtjJY6QfQ
and I'm very afraid that the perceived (even though not true) apathy of the Christian community has allowed people like this to lampoon our faith in the gaming community. I realize the above video is not directly related to gamer gate, however the author of it got to this point on feminism because of his work on gamer gate. He isn't alone by a long shot. I know fully well that the world will mock us, and that God told us to expect that, but the perceived apathy breeds this type of nonsense that I believe sends a very poor message to other Christian gamers and those who may be on the fence. I'll be honest, I stumbled across this site entirely by accident while looking for Christians who were involved with gamer gate, to see if anyone was out there sharing our side of the gaming community and standing up against these blatant misrepresentations and satires of the Christian faith. I too, am 30+ with 2 jobs and a family and little time to spare, but I think we're really dropping the ball as a community if we simply "let this one go" as it were. I'm not saying we need to spam the internet with articles and videos, but perhaps one now and again (videos) letting fellow Christians know there is a place for them, or to turn back the tied of lies from people like thunderf00t and sargon of akkod could go a long way. I'm willing to put forth a little of my free time for this, and I think we're missing a huge opportunity to spread the word. Sorry, that was a little preachy/ranty.

Last edited:
It's quite likely there are Christian videos addressing issues like these somewhere I'm just not sure where. I rarely care to watch what amounts to debate/rant videos at all unless they offer new facts.

Now I have looked for Christian let's play videos before but the only guy I know who did them was Coldturkey but he didn't play anything I liked, hasn't made one in a while, and you wouldn't know he was a Christian from just looking at his channel (thus you couldn't search and find him) (goes to search again... oooh maybe there is a good one in this thread?).

Believe me I understand wanting an alternative. I've often opined here with the need for games to be made with a Christian worldview to not only reach people but provide Christians an alternative to the junk we have now. While I won't get into it now it's difficult to have a lot of Christian game sites commenting on game review bias when you don't even have the games Christians would want to play.

Last edited:
GamerGate uses ChristCenteredGamer as proof that political or religious views can be separated from the game's score. They like our honesty and how we score games on two levels. We have been sent some games by their supporters to see how we would handle them, the most recent being Hatred. They did like the mic quality in my youtube video and helped fund a new mic for me.

I have been respectful of them and they have been supportive us us. They have linked to us on several occasions

http://gamergate.me/approved/
http://deepfreeze.it/outlet.php?o=christ_centered_gamer
http://wiki.gamergate.me/index.php/Support_List
https://gitgud.net/gamergate/gamergateop/blob/master/Boycott-and-Support-Lists/Support-List.md

So the bottom line is that I have been interacting with them and shedding a positive light on Christians (and female gamers), I have also been engaging them in spiritual discussions but most of the time it's game talk :)

After reading over the Deep Freeze web site, I decided to remove Gamasutra and Joystiq@Engadget from my RSS subscriptions.

I don't want to de-rail this thread, but could anyone recommend new sites for gaming news?

To provide context, I own a PC, Wii U, 3DS, and PS3, as well as older systems (Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, GBA, DS Lite). I also play some mobile games. I may purchase a PlayStation 4 eventually, but not for some time yet.

bluesnews.com has good pc news, n4g.com is great for news and rumors for various systems

Back