Game Stop vs GW2

Waynos

Game Stop website claims Guild Wars 2 release date is 6/26/2012
I don't believe it..if this were so ANET would have this info posted
Wonder why they claim that date?
or where they got that info from?

Gamestop has had 6/26 as their date since prepurchase opened, but arenanet stated that date was only gamestop's guess since no date had been provided to them.

Gamestop managers have stated in the past that arbitrary dates are assigned as placeholders when actual dates are unknown. SWTOR for instance had probably 6 or 7 different release dates at various points throughout, and even had jan 2 2012 as late as november.

As a side note, the ncsoft (owns Arenanet) investor call a few days ago seemed to point toward a late q3 or into q4 timeframe, so that would be september/october.

All that said, until arenanet announces a date, anything you see is just a guess.

Thanks for the info...I was confused why Gamestop had posted a release date yet no announcement from NC or Anet lol

Is it just me? Or do the rest of you think very poorly on a group willing to give a date to a game that does not have one.

Now people who buy it from there will be disappointed or even mad when they find out they dont get to play on X date.

Is it just me? Or do the rest of you think very poorly on a group willing to give a date to a game that does not have one.

Now people who buy it from there will be disappointed or even mad when they find out they dont get to play on X date.
My first thought, as Reginator mentioned, was that it's a placeholder, or at best a goal. It seems like Anet would have to be further along in the beta to have an actual, official, date. Plus, you'd see Anet posting the date on their website.

As silent as Anet as been on a release date they may not announce it until it is 2 weeks away.

My guess is sloppy programming. I know some systems don't allow preorders unless there is some sort of release date.

Yes, I've heard that it had to have some kind of date to register in their system.

Gamestop had their earnings conference call yesterday, and stated that Guild Wars 2 would not be released (and therefore affect their earnings) in the current quarter. So that puts it post-July in their estimation.

That seems to coincide with NCSoft's call of late q3 or early q4 at this point.

I recognize the issue in the form of a programming issue with their system, but I was meaning is not about why but should they have his practice due to its effect on other parties including the game developer who has not set a date and does not want people to think it was a postponement rather then just normal development time.

I am not saying its an evil conspiracy but rather a poor practice due to the issues that could come from people blaming Arenanet for a postponement of the release even when they do not have a date announced.

I think most people that are pre-ordering, or pre-purchasing are GW veterans and/or gamers in their own right. Most people do not pre-order a game before they know what the game is about, and with researching GW2 the lack of release date should pop up fairly quickly. I think the amount of people that will get fooled by Gamestop's release date and then get angry at Anet is extremely low.

Back