FYI - Kara 15 and 17 May up in GC

Xandar

As title says. Please sign up asap to reserve a spot if you can for sure be there. Attach a note if you want to be a standby, or aren't sure.

We are fairly inclusive, so don't be shy about it. There are certain roles, and numbers to fill those rolls, but we can be flexible about who fills them. Last week int he three healing roles we had a Druid, Priest, and Pally. For the dpsers we had 1 priest, 1 hunter, 2 mages. For tankage we had two druids and a pally. The important thing is to have fun, and we certainly do.

I would ask that you make sure you are prepared (ammo, extra pots as we do wipe, thought not as much as you would think, whatever food helps, etc) and a great attitude, as we tend to laugh a lot. Expect a higher repair bill, and to not make money on this run (considering pot costs, repair bills etc) especially if you are a suicidal mage type.

I want to emphasize that these runs are not about Phat Lootz. Sure some nice things drop, but my main goal is to see new content and challenges, and make it further each time while laughing at Randy dying on the latest pull. To be fair, I think he ended up with positive durability still, but is was less than 10 or so.

Im going to start a thread somewhere about suggestions and observations on our karaz runs.....go find it ok. LOL

... and a great attitude, as we tend to laugh a lot. Expect a higher repair bill, and to not make money on this run (considering pot costs, repair bills etc) especially if you are a suicidal mage type.

I want to emphasize that these runs are not about Phat Lootz. Sure some nice things drop, but my main goal is to see new content and challenges, and make it further each time while laughing at Randy dying on the latest pull. To be fair, I think he ended up with positive durability still, but is was less than 10 or so.

Suicidal mage? I resemble that remark! And hey, I ended up with 13% durability. Plenty to spare.

To those in the last run, I apologize for how distracted I was. I know it ultimately effected both my lifespan and made several pulls more difficult than was needed. I was attending to two separate officer matters at the time. I attempted to handle them during trash pulls and prep-talks on Moroes. I didn't have time to analyze what was being done & said, so I just nuked when Sheri was nuking...stopped when she wasn't. It seems a few times I didn't stop nuking when she stopped. hehe.

I still had a blast. I'm extremely proud of you guys... a slightly different group every week - different tanks, healers and DPS, and we still manage to get the Attuman down faster every time. We dropped him in just over 23 minutes this week. For those that were listening to the times I was calling out, I hope you noticed that that fight alone was almost 7 minutes long. Awesome job keeping the tanking, healing, and DPS going and focused for that long.

And I'll have you know, I upgraded my gear just a wee little bit in the past two weeks (since my last run) and it made a difference. I picked up about 400hp. This week when the Attuman made his random charge and picked me, I had about 250 hp left. I survived because I upgraded my gear. Big difference from two weeks ago.

One thing I'd like to recommend - anyone that isn't doing melee damage on the boss needs to stay back. Sheri & I both ran into mana trouble because of how much decursing we needed to do. When the boss dropped, I had less than 100 mana left....after using all the regen tricks I had available to me. One more round of curses could have been disastrous.

FYI, this run starts at 6:30 server time, as discussed at the end of Last Thursday's run. Some people didn't catch that so I am posting it here.

I would like to discuss our goals for Tuesday night. Two points before I start though.
1) Kara is somewhat of a challenge, as we all would expect. There will come a time when we can treat this like UBRS, but that may be a while. Everyone is expected to come ready to do anything their class can handle, as we must be flexible to meet the needs of the encounter. This means if your class can heal, bring along a healing set, just in case. I promise to keep you in your desired role as much as possible but there may be times this cannot happen. For example, the Maiden fight removes any damage abilities Pally's have. We could either kick out a dps pally (not what we want to do) or assign them to decurse / heal during this fight.
2) Everyone is expected to be on top of their game, and buff themselves up as appropriate. This means bring along the appropriate food / pots to match your role(s). Every bit can help during the tougher parts. And every bit helps burning down the adds quickly so that we have as much time as possible to figure out the boss fights.
3) Listen when someone makes a suggestion. They really are trying to make you better. Flexibility and a great attitude make the night fun for everyone.

I think we have a very good time with Attumen, he should be one shotted, if everything goes decently.

Moroes caused us a little bit of problems, but really, we have the basic strategy figured out. Assuming we have two MT capable and one OT capable, we will put two tanks on Moroes who will continually fight each other for aggro. The third tank will have to be one who can rush the chosen target, which means either Bear or Warrior. (Any pally tanks we have will be assigned to Moroes). At least 3 CC's (hunter / priests) means we can CC 3, 2 tanks on Moroes, 1 on chosen target. We then down either 2 or 3 adds, and then go for Moroes himself (the number we down depends on which adds are there. Four are chosen from a possible set of 6). Make sure to keep anyone who is Garroted, healed. Don't forget Stone form and Pally Bubbles can remove this, but the bubble should be saved for the healers, if possible.

Now comes the fun part - Maiden. I have been reading a variety of strategies over the weekend. One interesting thing is that Tree form is immune to the Stun! Who knew! This means Renee, at least, would be able to help keep the others up. There are several items to know about this fight. I would love it if everyone who is participating would read this

http://www.wowwiki.com/Maiden_of_Virtue

Some highlights :
1) Any pallys we have should chain link Blessing of Sac onto main tank. This means Pally 1 BoS's MT, Pally 2 BoS's Pally 1 etc.
2) Resto Druid use Tree form to prevent the stun (hopefully this still works)
3) All non melee need to stand between the columns. Ideally, we would have 4 healing capable who are standing at N,S,E,W btn the columns. All ranged would be staggered NW, SW, SE, NE. This is supposed to put everyone in range of the decurssing and healing.
4) If you are a Pally you will not be doing damage this fight. Sorry, but realize this fight silences everyone within range of her concecration. You will be healing / decursing the entire fight. Bring the appropriate back up healing set, and if needed get a mod which allows easier decursing. The one from the guild pack works nicely.
5) Normally, we have one MT, and one or at max two other melee's in at a time. A few strategies I have seen suggest MT + 1, with that +1 rotating with another as his health drops. This minimizes the chain lightning damage potential.
6) Decursing is CRUCIAL. It is top priority for a least two full time decursers / healers. If this doesn't go correctly, the fight will be lost.
7) Keep the MT above 80% at all times, HOT's / overhealing, whatever it takes. This fight is won or lost by the healers. Dps helps, but this is a heal check, plain and simple.

OPERA EVENT - I am going to be super optimistic here, I don't know how to be any other way *grin*. Please read up on this

http://www.wowwiki.com/Opera_Event

before coming as well. There are three possible fights. Review each possibility, as we dont get much time to discuss once they start.

I am very much looking forward to the run(s) this week. I hope you all are as ready as I am to have some fun!!

I was also reading about maiden.. I read that pallys need to use RANK 1 of Blessing of sacrifice (otherwise thats too much damage on them) all it takes is a little damage to get them out of the stun.

Now comes the fun part - Maiden. I have been reading a variety of strategies over the weekend. One interesting thing is that Tree form is immune to the Stun! Who knew! This means Renee, at least, would be able to help keep the others up. There are several items to know about this fight. I would love it if everyone who is participating would read this

They "fixed" this in one of the patches I read. It no longer works. What may work if we need 2 fully specced healers up and don't have 2 pallys for the bos, is to have one of our other healers run near the consecration zone just before the repentance goes off. So when maiden consecrates it wakes that healer up with the pally. Big wigs counts down the repentance cast so shouldn't be to hard to time.

As for positioning we have to figure this out...for los/range issues. The cleanse needs to be done so fast, that running around trying to get in range of others, because of columns,..means death.. I've read what you are suggesting, won't hurt to try that positioning (Well, it might hurt..a little..) And as the pally who is healing the MT through the repentance, I can tell you.. that's all I have time to do.. and maybe clean myself.. The first few times I was cleaning and healing the MT and that doesn't work :) She just hits way to hard for that.. The healing in that fight is definitely preventative, predictive, not reactive..so much..

We got better with each try and I think we have the gear.. We just need to practice the execution.. I think 4-5 tries got us at 50 percent or so with her..We are probably going to wipe on maiden a few more times I think.., but eventually she will go the way of the rest.. It's a bit complex with a lot going on and she hits like Mike Tyson use to..

Tinies group did about as well as we did on our first 2 maiden attempts..However, we did almost take Romeo and Julian (Sp?) in the opera event. As always John Sr's experience there was a huge help.

I was also reading about maiden.. I read that pallys need to use RANK 1 of Blessing of sacrifice (otherwise that's too much damage on them) all it takes is a little damage to get them out of the stun.

Yup, that's what I use.

OPERA EVENT - I am going to be super optimistic here, I don't know how to be any other way *grin*. Please read up on this

http://www.wowwiki.com/Opera_Event

I plan on doing that Monday.

Last edited:
Woven said:
Big wigs counts down the repentance cast so shouldn't be to hard to time.
She doesn't always do the repentance as soon as it comes off of cooldown - there's a range of about 15 seconds. From the few times that we attempted the Maiden, it seems like that 15 seconds is on a bell curve, with most of them being in the 5-10 seconds after the cooldown finishes. I could be mistaken, but that just seemed to be the overall pattern.

On Durruck, the consecrations was hitting me for about 200 hp/tick. I think that on my healer, I'd be willing to take a few seconds of that to make sure that I can heal thru the repentance. I suppose it just comes down to figuring out how we need to try things. 10 seconds without healing is just way too much for how hard she hits.

10 seconds without healing is just way too much for how hard she hits.

One healer will definitely be up through the repentance, me. I can only heal the tank though. If we need to wake up another healer and don't have another pally, they can practice on standing just inside the consecration range, so they can quickly get out of it once they wake. It will take some practice.. and if we decide to use this tactic I think all the healers should probably practice it from time to time..

I should be able to keep the MT up during the repentance if I'm the only healer awake, but no heals for anyone else..

By the way.

On the Huntsman fight, the charge is the closest ranged melee. So if we have a mail or a plate wearing toon stand in-between boss and other ranged, clothies should be safe.

I don't think thats right, I know I get charged, and I tend to stand at the back. I think its pretty random. Unless i was the only ranged physical damage type person. Well then maybe your right afterall

The problem with maiden is that it's a tough fight. I've been reading posts on the boards from other groups that 1-shot her with no deaths one week, and wipe repeatedly the next (with the same 10 people, too!)

I don't know Ron, for sure. I just read that the charge is to the closest ranged person, but have not tested it. Were you the closest ranged person to the boss?

As for maiden, we got her below 50 percent tonight. We need to work on our cleaning and she will fall. We had 2 healadins, made things a bit easier, since both of us can wake and heal through the repentence. We also had a priest and back-up druid healer. The positioning we used was very good. All were in range to be cleaned, healed. It was not the circle position that you read on most online guides. It was just some to the left, some to the right, but NOT between to pillars.

Grab a mod if you can clean, makes it much, much easier. I use Heal-bot myself. Anything that will let you see the entire raid and allow one click cleans on each person is good.

Oh, we one-shotted romeo and julian..in the opera event.

Danny

I don't know Ron, for sure. I just read that the charge is to the closest ranged person, but have not tested it. Were you the closest ranged person to the boss?

One thing to keep in mind that what you see on your screen is not always the way it is on someone else's screen. And the server has it's own ideas of targets and distances. Have you ever been standing toe-to-toe with a mob trying to hit it and get an out of range error?

With respect to the Maiden, remember if we have a healer step forward to get damaged on purpose, they will be silenced until they are able to step backwards again, so that healer is out of service for a bit regardless. Its a delicate balance.

Danny, would you please describe how the group was configured? Positionally I mean.

Last edited:
hey :) on another thread that was a suggestion that attuneman can be disarmed by warriors.. that way when he charges it wont kill people :)

ETA:
It was just some to the left, some to the right, but NOT between to pillars
I had less trouble when I was standing away from the pillars... not sure why.

I don't know if disarm effects the dmg from charge, but it does in general reduce the dmg out-put from him by 60%.
As for the silence on a healer it only last for .5 seconds when they are hit with consecration, much better then a 10 second stun on them. So they would try to watch the repentence timer, move up when it's close (And like randy said, it doesn't seem to go off right when the timer is at 0, but a bit afterwards), get hit with concecration and move back. In the end, if we can time some HOT's on the tank right before the repentence and I can keep the tank up during the stun, we may not need another healer awake. 2 pallies def work good on this fight..with both awake to heal. After our dps got killed off, we stayed in the fight for quite a bit, until we were all basicaly oom.. So the only issue we had last night was the cleaning really..

The positioning can be setup on the spot before we fight her. It's pretty simple. Ppl in general stand towards the back of the gaps between the pillars, on the far left and far right. This gives healers a view of the tanks/melee. A few in the middle of those on the far left and fire right. I believe we had me and one ranged dps on the left, connor was in the middle (He was assigned to heal the group, trying to keep everyone always topped off, I believe a shadow priest with VE will work nice here also in the MT/Pally group) and the rest of the healers ranged dps were over towards the right. The melee was in the middle with the tank. You could talk to John SR given our group makeup tonight and see what he thinks about positioning. I also think this positioning looks good: http://www.wowwiki.com/Image:Maiden.jpg

It might also be good to have a full time cleaner on everyone (With those main healing trying to back them up), because that dot can hit at the worst moments... Like when I'm throwing a huge heal on the tank, that dot lands on the person im assigned to cleanse while Im casting. I have to either stop casting that heal and let the tank probably die, or that other person...This happened at least once last night. Other times I was able to cleanse more then one person..So someone needs to be assigned as mean cleaner and if we position right, they can reach every single person.

It is suggested that the warrior tank have high maximum life, to prevent unlucky crit deaths during repentance. Lifegiving Gem, Last Stand, Shield Wall, healing potions, Health Stones, and Nightmare Vine Seeds are all excellent tools to keep a tank up during unlucky repentances.

Last edited:
Hiyas folks -

I won't be able to make it to the run tonight. I'm stuck working through a programming problem tonight.

Back