Future of Physics in Games

Watch id release Rage with the id Tech 5 engine, then Valve turns around and licenses Lagoa for whatever follow Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (or, at this rate, for HL2: Ep3).

my eyes exploded out of their sockets (i'd like to see that in the engine)

Last edited:
Very awesome.

But I highly, highly doubt it will make an appearance within games this generation (or likely even the next) of gaming hardware, and will be primarily seen on TV and Movies to give a serious serious boost to future special effects.

I'm still waiting for a game that incorporates Massive into its playable content. Now THAT would be an epic game...

I can see the headlines...

"Lagoa Multiphysics Engine : It is better than real life "

yeah... that seems about right.

Speaking of the future of game engines I've long had ideas for a game that would be revolutionary. It would have a feature like this but that game is only a space shooter and the tiny tip of my dream game (a dream also feasible with current technology, a reasonable budget and completely non-Spore like).

Last edited:
Speaking of the future of game engines I've long had ideas for a game that would be revolutionary. It would have a feature like this but that game is only a space shooter and the tiny tip of my dream game (a dream also feasible with current technology, a reasonable budget and completely non-Spore like).

I watched that video and thought, "ehhh, EVE's graphics have it -wait what? Wooooaaaaaahh."

Going from spacestation to planet terrain seamlessly = hardcore win.

It's hard to imagine what the future holds in terms of "in-game" physics. This is a pretty cool demo of some things to come.

http://vimeo.com/13457383

Forgive me, but I saw nothing relating to gaming in that video at all. All I saw were some rather nice CG physics simulations. Nothing was rendered real-time. Is there a link to where this is going to be included in some game engine?

(If it is included in a game engine my video card will break down and weep like a little girl at the mere thought of running something like this. Then it will promptly cease functioning altogether. . .)

This is a wishful thinking thread for the most part. I imagine sometime in the future we may see this kind of technology, but not with current or even next-gen hardware.

Back