Friday, September 30, 2011: James 1:14

RiverTigress

James 1:14
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Not just the bad people, but all people have to be aware of this danger. But what I most want to draw attention to here is the phrase, "when he is drawn away." You don't get drawn away by being tempted, you get tempted when you let yourself wander away from the presence of God in your life.

You can't go everywhere you want to go, even for perfectly good and innocent things or for the sake of other people who are going there too, and expect God to be the one to follow you if He hasn't directed you there. It is up to us to stay where He has led us and provided for us. Otherwise when temptation comes to try to take advantage of our separation, we will only have our own insufficient strength to draw on to fight it off instead of His until we realize our position enough to run back to Him.

However, if we don't let ourselves get drawn away in the first place, the devil is not only significantly disadvantaged in his ability to act against you, he runs away!

James 4:5-7
Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? But He giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Tempted by our own desires - it is so much easier to blame Satan. Thanks, River.

Sad but true, 99.99% of the time, I only have myself to blame for my problems. For everything I do right, I do 1000 wrong. Most of these times, in fact all that I can remember, is due to me not asking 'what would God want me to do' and instead 'what I feel like doing'. Includes the lead up to the current situation I'm in now, having to give up everything to cram for coming exams (and still with a chance of failure) because I haven't been very committed throughout the year. A just punishment I'll humbly accept, I will remember this. Just praying I'll actually *make it through* the year.

So yeah this verse really struck home on my present predicament.

Back