Friday, September 23, 2011: Ephesians 6:13

RiverTigress

Ephesian 6:13
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

A lot of times when we read this verse we focus on the armor part, but this time I want to focus on the phrase "having done all" instead.

"Having done all" I think can be well enough described as that point of impending panic attack where you realize you've done everything you can think of to possibly do and it's still not enough. The castle is still falling and the enemy is still approaching, but now your resources have been completely exhausted. It can be very tempting at this point to conclude that to be in this position must mean you weren't really in God's will at all and so you need to retreat, but actually this is the place where God does His greatest and most powerful work, where He will get all the glory for it rather than us.

Remember that we are never sent to accomplish things in our own strength and power, but as vessels of His. Jesus' words have always been "According to your faith, let it be done," not "according to your resources."

Your point reminds me of the final scene in the shining sword. ( I won't go into full details because of spoilers) However, when we have done our all and are still being overrun, we can still claim the victory.

You are right, all too often people grab the shiny part of the verse and forget the padding beneath it.

Back