Friday Night - Domain of Anguish

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Popping a new thread based on discussions in others...Friday night Domain of Anguish. I'd be more than happy to tank (unless someone else wants to).

Time? 8 eastern?
Want to use whatever shows, or run some form of team build? (Glaiveway makes DoA stupidly easy, and can handle all professions even if some are a bit less efficient).

Assuming I'm tanking, I was going to run the following, though I haven't tanked in DoA for a year.
Shadow Form
Stoneflesh Aura
Armor of Earth
sliver armor
dwarven stability

dark escape/Lightbringer Signet or Mantra of Earth/Stonesoul Strike

+ a shadow heal

Any tips there are appreciated.

Sign me up as whatever you need. I've never done Glaiveway, but it sounds good if we have enough glaivers. I don't think anyone in the alliance has used that build before though so i don't know if that would hinder us or not.

We took in a mixed team a few weeks ago and did very well on Veil and City. We weren't able to complete Gloom without a good solid tank. The cave simply overwhelmed us and the same story with Foundry. That 3rd room just wiped us with over-aggro.

I can come on a Rit. I usually do SoS but i'm open to change if needed. I know Abba will probably come on an Ele.

Glaive is the easiest build in the world to run...just run in center mob and hit 12345 etc. It's hilarious watching how fast they drop. I'm not stuck up, happy to run any balanced build either, but I know glaive makes it super easy mode, hehe...not AS much as ursan used to, but close. Plus it's an easy cap. If anyone is missing any skills, they can just add in LB gaze or something like that.

I'll probably run LB signet/dark escape option since I can't A/Me/E...though if we get a glaive team we really won't need a dedicated tank, and I'll run that too hehe.

My Elementalist can carry a Glaive build - any suggestions for the two optional slots? I'm thinking Channeled Strike and Aura of Restoration.

I'm in. I'll have to bring my Ranger. He could easily carry a Glaive build if need be. I run SoS on him all the time and it works great with a high energy staff.

We had talked about possibly trapping the other night also. I could give that a shot. I have a good build that I've used to farm Stygian Veil. The only thing that I'm unsure about with trapping would be my effectiveness in the middle of a fight.

Looks like we're good to go on glaive then. I've run it a few times, so I guess that makes me the "expert". I don't think anyone will have any trouble, even if it's their first time. They'll get the hang of it in about 30 seconds...just keep running center mass and pumping skills, haha. :) It really is optimal for throwing together a team because you don't have to be super specific and any profession can plan. Some profs are slightly better than others, but no big deal.

Due to daughter having a nightmare @ 5, I was up early this morning and had time to PUG a full run (thanks, sweetie!). We completed all 4 areas in 1:37, so just under 3 cons with a few small breaks. Did Mallyx in a tad under 20.

I'd prefer to start in city or foundry...so we can all plan on getting:
14 gems + any drops (usually at least 1)
~1 primeval remnant
goodie from mallyx's chest

Not a bad haul for ~2 hours!

Based on what I can tell, I'd say "optimal" for normal mode:
4 glaivers - if one is a warr with signet of stamina/etc, that's cool, if not, no biggie
1 SoS
2 UA monks (or ua + hb mimicry, but 2 UA is fine for NM)
1 Imbagon
1 Panic mes (as a sub for glaiver or SoS - offers a lot of protection and decent damage so will make the run even easier)

Sounds like we're currently sitting at 3 glaivers with 1 SoS, so...
anybody want to hop in and claim one of the monk spots, imba, or your choice of glaive/panic?

General tips if you want them...I know everyone has been in DoA before, so feel free to add to (or correct) these:
* No need to rush, I'm sure we'd all just rather finish than die on the 3rd area, but faster = using less cons and maybe being able to go a 2nd time, so we can try to avoid mobs if possible. We can probably plan for 5 consets for full run + mallyx to be safe. 10 if we do it twice. :) So I'd suggest we line those up ahead of time (I can't 'cause I don't have 80k to my name right now...)
* Please everyone bring up to 10k to help pay whoever gets cons.
* Great time to use all of your personal sweets/etc for more uber pwnage
* Bring tons of salvage if you want, though honestly bothering to pick up whites usually slows down the team
* Res scrolls are good to have should things go wrong
* Check the link for some specific build ideas, like convert hexes on SoS (need it for soothing images/vocal minority on para)
* Don't wait till in mob to cast glaive, precast it so that it recharges and you can run in and cast it to drop, then drop again
* Ancestor's will do the most damage (due to armor), followed by LoD. So try to cast those first so they can be recharging faster, hence more damage.
* If you're missing BUH or LoD, throw in LB gaze. Less damage but the KD is always nice.
* Bring self-heals or defense, or something like agony, destruction, gaze of fury (really only want 1 of those per team, though), or essence strike for a tidbit of added energy. Really don't need extra damage because with cons you'll rarely find yourself without a spell ready to cast.
* If you have less than 4 pips of energy, I'd drop spirit rift (does the least damage anyway) for some more defense, energy, etc
* Edge of Extinction can be verrrry nice, but is of course a double edged sword if we get blasted by a bunch of AoE without SY up. EoE works well with agony.
* When fighting Mallyx, we want to INSTANTLY skip cut scene to prevent him from getting spirits up. This means hitting the escape key as fast as humanly possible just before his cut scene, and will make him much easier.

My Elementalist can carry a Glaive build - any suggestions for the two optional slots? I'm thinking Channeled Strike and Aura of Restoration.
I'd probably go for agony or destruction since we're looking at mass mob obliteration instead of channeled. Aura will be great.

I'm in. I'll have to bring my Ranger. He could easily carry a Glaive build if need be. I run SoS on him all the time and it works great with a high energy staff.

We had talked about possibly trapping the other night also. I could give that a shot. I have a good build that I've used to farm Stygian Veil. The only thing that I'm unsure about with trapping would be my effectiveness in the middle of a fight.
Yeah ranger will work great for Glaive. I'd drop spirit rift for something like throw dirt (will help protect team against those nasty melee mobs), and bring a block stance or two, or troll unguent, or EoE.

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan. I'm getting excited already.

I planned to eat candy corn just to keep my skills at 13 - since 12 is the best I can do with Rit skills as an Ele. I'll be 12 Channeling and 13 Energy Storage - 13 and 14 with candy corn.

I will be carrying Oppressor Wand and Focus - any suggestions for modifiers or inscriptions?

I can bring 10k - but I'm not clear what it is for.

I'm really excited, too. I'm anxious to see this Glaiveway in action. I always love new builds.

That said, I have 1 con already sitting in storage that I will definitely bring. After that, I think that I have another 1 or 2 of each minus the Essence of Celerity. I'll pick at least one more of those up before Friday. Between all of us we might have enough.

Thanks Ryan. I'm getting excited already.

I planned to eat candy corn just to keep my skills at 13 - since 12 is the best I can do with Rit skills as an Ele. I'll be 12 Channeling and 13 Energy Storage - 13 and 14 with candy corn.

I will be carrying Oppressor Wand and Focus - any suggestions for modifiers or inscriptions?

I can bring 10k - but I'm not clear what it is for.

Sounds great, +health is good for mods, half spell recast or recharge is good too. Really doesn't make a huge difference either way. If you have a shield that gives +10 armor vs demons, that might be good to bring instead of focus since you already have a huge energy pool.

The 10k is for cons as they get used. 1 conset costs 8k, and there are 8 on a team, so essentially each conset costs 1k per person. So each time before someone drops cons, other 7 can give them 1k (or just drop on ground 'cause it's faster), so that we can spread the love. :) I just say up to 10k in case we are fast and roll it twice and use up to 10 consets (5 hours worth + breaks, lol). I've been out of the loop for a while, so if you guys usually do something different for cons (like an ally bank), that's great too. :)

In all reality it probably won't take more than 4 consets per run, and even if you only brought 4k you'll probably pick up that much cash during the first run.

Not a huge deal, I only bring it up now because that way we won't have to fish around for buying consets Friday night...increasing our chance of rolling a second run and scoring ~30 gems each, which is 1/2 a torment wep, or just shy of 100k worth if selling gemsets.

Last edited:
I usually carry three consets with me and a couple of resurrection scrolls. I don't mind using any or all of them.

You're right about having them ready to go - less time prepping = more time in game.

I usually carry three consets with me and a couple of resurrection scrolls. I don't mind using any or all of them.

You're right about having them ready to go - less time prepping = more time in game.

Good, I'll bring $$ for YOU then, :)

I just checked my inventory and I have a full 2 sets, might possibly have 3 by Friday. With Abba's that makes at least 5. Looks like we're in good shape.

Thanks, I can taste that tormented wep already...and into the hall it shall go!

Thanks for organizing this Ryan. I strongly agree about coming to the team Friday "ready to roll". It's frustrating to wait around for a half hour while folks get organized. Unfortunately we have some folks from WWJD that I know are interested that don't participate on the forums. (We've tried to get them on here, but no luck.)

Dark Blue Death can probably come Friday on his monk. His strong suit is smiting, but I think he can run a UA build ok. I'll ask him next time I see him online.

Fire Walker is also planning on coming. She normally runs as a fire nuker but can likely switch to Glaive with enough notice. She's going for Legendary Skill Hunter anyways so won't mind capping a few non-Ele skills.

I have 2 full consets (minus powerstone) in my storage with extra Essences. I prefer to bring my Rit for the full run and switch to my Warrior for Mallyx. Scarlet has had the Mallyx quest in her log ever since they nerfed Ursan and I'd truly like to clear it off.

The only problem I see with Glaive is that we don't have a Paragon or Mesmer in the alliance that would be ready to join us. Are those roles necessary for the build to work? If so, could Kyrel and Orry come with us?

Thanks for organizing this Ryan. I strongly agree about coming to the team Friday "ready to roll". It's frustrating to wait around for a half hour while folks get organized.

I just wanna sign on and roll, purely selfish reasons I assure you! Half hour? I really have been out of GW a long time, people organize quickly these days!

Dark Blue Death can probably come Friday on his monk. His strong suit is smiting, but I think he can run a UA build ok. I'll ask him next time I see him online.

Fire Walker is also planning on coming. She normally runs as a fire nuker but can likely switch to Glaive with enough notice. She's going for Legendary Skill Hunter anyways so won't mind capping a few non-Ele skills.

Two more, sounds great!

I prefer to bring my Rit for the full run and switch to my Warrior for Mallyx. Scarlet has had the Mallyx quest in her log ever since they nerfed Ursan and I'd truly like to clear it off.

That'll work just great, I'd be happy to SoS in the citadel, and Cody's already mentioned he can roll that too.

The only problem I see with Glaive is that we don't have a Paragon or Mesmer in the alliance that would be ready to join us. Are those roles necessary for the build to work? If so, could Kyrel and Orry come with us?

Kyrel is unavailable Friday; Wizard can imba in her stead. I'd love to bring Orry, but if my count is right, we're @ 4 glaives, SoS, 1 monk, and para...so we just need one monk. I just started working my monk through NF, but having him there by Friday isn't really doable with my amount of playtime.

That said, anyone wanting to come along should say so...team #2 in the making! This build is good with pugs, easy to fill in last few slots if need be. Plus, Orry does pull a mean Panic mes! He was a mesmer before it was cool. :)

Last edited:
I would like to join if you have room. I can bring an ele and run the Glaive build. Just need to know what you want me to add for the extra slot.

Thanks
Fire Walker

I think you are already included in our count. But Ryan has the official count.

I'm definitely gonna need help with this build.

I loaded up the 6 skills on my Rit, but wasn't sure what to add for the last 2 slots. I stuck empowerment and inferno in there for lack of any better ideas.

I tried to join a glaiveway pug but so far I've been rejected by several teams because I'm only lvl 7 lightbringer. If lvl 8 is required for this to work then i'm out.

I tried going in with just heroes, but I died within seconds of running in. How do you stay alive?

I'm definitely gonna need help with this build.

I loaded up the 6 skills on my Rit, but wasn't sure what to add for the last 2 slots. I stuck empowerment and inferno in there for lack of any better ideas.

I tried to join a glaiveway pug but so far I've been rejected by several teams because I'm only lvl 7 lightbringer. If lvl 8 is required for this to work then i'm out.

I tried going in with just heroes, but I died within seconds of running in. How do you stay alive?

Most of the people in DoA right now couldn't ever dream of playing in that area without an easyway build handed to them. That's fine and all, but they sure do get pretty snobby once they feel secure in their eliteness. It's even more silly because you're a rit - so you'll out-damage r8 of every other class, aside from mesmer. Shoot, I even have geniuses in my alliance that won't take my r8 sin, but will gladly take a r3 rit. Go figure.

As far as staying alive...it just comes down to a combination of having an imba, 2 monks, and just melting the mobs. Panic and SoS help a lot too with either shut down or distracting spirits. If the "elite" folks crowding DoA can do it, so can we. :)

Back