FOR ANY WHO MIGHT HAVE BEEN CONFUSED BY THE OTHER NIGHT IN CHAT:

I had nothing to do with the chat conversation, but that was a perfect chart for me. I have been meeting with Mormon missionaries 1-2xs a week for a few months now and this will be very helpful since they DO NOT believe Jesus and the Father are the same. Thanks Schmee!

However *beware*, the home site is a wacky, legalistic, King-James-only site that I would not recommend browsing.

Last edited:
homesite? is that like homeslice? "me and my homesite, just chillin"

However *beware*, the home site is a wacky, legalistic, King-James-only site that I would not recommend browsing.

I looked over the site pretty readily and there was nothing inherently that I disagreed with there.

He did promote the KJV quite a bit. Personally I use/like/prefer the KJV over other translations but there is nothing wrong with reading *some* other translations. You should be choosey about what translations you do read because they deviate to far away from the originals texts and meanings just to accomadate for *easy-reading.*

The NKJV, NIV, NASB are all excellent translations that stick close to the original texts w/o compromising Scripture.

Last edited:
well I was involved in that chat the other night.. and i am soo glad that you provided this link.. i know that there were some young believers present and they were getting a little confused by the back and forth banter.. Thank you very much for this post

regarding Mormons or any of the other religions out there, there is a site with a wealth of information about most of them.

www.carm.org

Christian Apologetics Research Ministry.

NASB - word for word translation. Places a greater emphasis on word conversion than format and therefore tends to be more difficult reading. Excellent source for Bible studies in general.

NIV - meaning for meaning translation. Places a greater emphasis on intent. Definitely an easier read. Prime candidate for all of the reading through the bible programs. Also helpful in studies where the language is going over your head from an NASB as the NIV can better contextualize the concepts.

KJV - best version for structural format. In a passage of several verses...sometimes it can be difficult in determining what the author was trying to emphasize. In those cases, the KJV does an excellent job adhering to emphasis via word placement and sentence construction.

ESV - attempts to hybrid the 3 above.

Bottom line...make sure you are in one of them daily. And if you ever feel like you have to champion one more than another...champion the original text and learn Greek & Hebrew.

Elusiv

NASB - word for word translation. Places a greater emphasis on word conversion than format and therefore tends to be more difficult reading. Excellent source for Bible studies in general.

NIV - meaning for meaning translation. Places a greater emphasis on intent. Definitely an easier read. Prime candidate for all of the reading through the bible programs. Also helpful in studies where the language is going over your head from an NASB as the NIV can better contextualize the concepts.

KJV - best version for structural format. In a passage of several verses...sometimes it can be difficult in determining what the author was trying to emphasize. In those cases, the KJV does an excellent job adhering to emphasis via word placement and sentence construction.

ESV - attempts to hybrid the 3 above.

Bottom line...make sure you are in one of them daily. And if you ever feel like you have to champion one more than another...champion the original text and learn Greek & Hebrew.

Elusiv

ESV is way more on the side of "word for word" then it is on "meaning for meaning". It also retains a high level of poetic feel which makes it an excellent choice for both daily reading as well as memorizing. Its word for word accuracy makes it excellent for study. I use all the above mentioned versions but the ESV is my personal choice for most all situations. As a side note: John Piper, Mark Driscoll and other theologian-pastors have switched their congregation over to the ESV.

Last edited:
I use the LSV (LLoren Standard Version) which includes a handy-dandy attached sharpie marker to cross out anything I don't like and scissors for particularly confusing passages.

Sharpies are expensive...I find it easy to simply remve th pages all together. I just check the sermon topic in advance, if I don't have that section of scripture I don't have to go.

Back