FOOD!!!!!!!!

Even veggie tacos are good...used to like them with eggs and salsa - before McDonald's started their breakfast menu...and yes, there was a time before McD had a breakfast menu.

And Wolfman Jack on the radio.
Boy and I thought I was getting old.
Didn't those just have a bun, patty, and ketchup?

In Mexico you'd get tortillas with the meal and use torn off pieces like a fork to pick up bites of food. Wonderful eating.

My friend has a wonderfully special thing she does with tortillas. Take two tortillas and put a very thin layer of refried beans between them pinching the edges together. Very filling, very tasty.

Love tortillas. My favorite Mexican food restaurants are the ones where they constantly make fresh tortillas and give you as many as you want with your food.

Rather than use them to hold food, I tend to eat my fajitas, chile verde, or whatever with a fork, and eat the tortillas alongside. Great for wiping up that bit of tasty sauce at the end.

We do a lot of whole grain at my house, but tortillas are the one thing I don't like whole grain. White flower all the way, though I've shifted more toward corn lately.

OK we seem to be on a Mexican food kick right now. So I will try for something which I like to try to see which restaurant has the best of this item. So far locally is a place called Casa Grande. On this their second opening (first time they made a raid and deported most of the staff all at once) no one can match the quality and taste, the chili sauce is perfect.

Chili Colorado

It's sliced up steak with a thin red peppered sauce. Usually served with rice, refried beans, and tortillas. Good grief now I want some.

Chili Colorado is also called "red chili" on some mexican menus.

I prefer the green version. Chile verde - sliced up or shredded pork in a tomatillo sauce. So tasty.

It's important to point out to anyone who doesn't know that Mexican chili doesn't have beans. It's not much like what most US citizens think of as "chili".

Out here (California) Chile Verde is bite size chunks of pork that are fork tender in the green sauce. Usually served with rice and hot tortillas. You tear off pieces the tortilla and use them like a fork. Absolutely wonderful.

Yes! At the Mexican restaurant my family goes to it also comes with what they call a "quacamole salad", which is basically shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a large blob of quacamole. Makes for a fresh counterpoint to the meaty Chile Verde.

I've lived in many different parts of the US, and it's interesting to see how foods are interpreted differently in various regions. I've lived in Tucson, close enough to the Mexican border we could drive over and eat in Nogales, as well as the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest, and done summer gigs in places in between.

One of my favorite things is trying Chile Rellenos in various places. They're adapatable enough that you never quite get the same thing in any given restaurant, and we make them entirely different at home from our harvest of Poblanos from the garden.

I love me some chili verde!!!!!! oh my gosh it is so good and with some homemade tortillas.....got to make it!

One word of warning, I don't know about chili verde, but most chili colorado will light you up good. It's the sauce based on red peppers that does it. Ya really need the tortillas, rice, and beans to temper the fire a little.
Now let's see where to go next? I know, the football season will be coming up soon, and those that are smart are practicing for the tail gate parties now by grilling this now. You should see the parking lot at Lambau Field when the Pack is playing at home, everybody is throwing a tail gate party.

Bratwurst

The best place to get them is in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, lot's of local places turning out their own special recipe.

I know some friends from Ohio that often tout their October bratwurst festivals and such. I'm mostly confined to getting them at baseball games. I swap back and forth between sourkraut and peppers & onions on mine, depending on my mood.

The best bratwurst I ever had was on a glacier in the Alps from a little kiosk. Decades later, I still remember how good it was.

A lot of people can make a good bratwurst, meaning the sausage itself, but where most fail is in what carries the bratwurst. People take a great sausage, hot and ready to burst, and drop it into a ridiculous bun out of a plastic bag like you grab at the grocery store.

A really good sausage deserves to be featured on a crusty roll baked fresh that day with chewy soft inside with a subtle taste of slow risen sourdough and a crisp crust that shatters when you bite into it.

Anything less is just a disappointment.

Back