First toon?

I thought I read somewhere that in this first open beta there was only going to be Norn, Human and Charr - is that old news now? Will there be Sylvari and Asuran as well?

I thought I read somewhere that in this first open beta there was only going to be Norn, Human and Charr - is that old news now? Will there be Sylvari and Asuran as well?

Yes, you are correct (http://www.arena.net/blog/the-beta-weekend-event-is-coming), but the starter of this thread may have been asking about when the game is released? There's another thread for that as well, it just didn't get moved to the GW2 forums (http://cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44734).

ah - I see. I know I'm planning a Sylvari Mesmer once the game goes live.

Yes, I did mean main character after it goes live. ;-)

Although we could certainly throw in what you're picking for the beta! I'll probably pick Norn Warrior for that.

I was planning on a Guardian but don't like the targeting (not turning toward the enemy) or the running around hitting air so now I am thinking Ranger. I also would like to play an Ele but am worried about the girls clothes. I do not want to spend the with whole game with my toon half dressed. They need to release armor info. We'll see after the next beta.
Kel

Hey Kel did you guys ever spring for that third game? I hope so, I would hate to read about another messy homicide.:p

Not yet. We had problems with the beta and Rho's laptop not getting along so we are down to only 2 in the house that will work.

Kel

At first, I thought I was going to make a Slyvari Ele, but elementalists felt like putting on an old glove for me, comfortable, practical, but not very exciting. When I tried out a Norn Mesmer, I found the dialog hilarious as my character threatened bodily harm with the enemy's own weapon, and I found the combat to be exciting. I was able to solo a lvl 16 Veteran Aatxe as a lvl 14 mesmer with Sword/Sword and greatsword combination. Sword/Sword is extremely fun on a mesmer ^^

My first character will probably still be a thief, but after sampling the other professions, I think it will be even between a thief, ranger and an elementalist. I really liked the whole concept of the attunements and such, and enjoyed impaling enemies with giant flaming dragon's teeth.

First official toon is going to have to be an asura thief, played the thief class almost all of the last beta weekend and loved it. I tried almost all of the classes before settling, and as much as I liked the ele, having 4 different attack sets to unlock for each weapon was a bit too tedious.

edit: no official name yet though, I almost never know what I'm going to name my toons until I'm making them :p

Last edited:
Having a Warrior as my main on GW1 and playing one in the beta I might have to change my mind but for now I'll stick with the original choice Sylvari Thief.

Anyone else thinking about changing their mind after trying a few classes?

I had planned to change from an Elementalist (GW) to a Sylvari Mesmer (GW2) - but after the beta and reading a bunch of reviews - I might have to go back to an Elementalist.

After looking at the range on the Guardian skills and the lack of a 1200 range skill, unlike the warrior I will prob be sticking with the Elementalist. I was really enjoying the Guardian but I am concerned about what role they will play in WvW since they dont have any ranged skills to reach far from the walls....

Unlike the warrior who can use his rife for a range of 1200.

Anyways, think Im sticking with the elementalist, Rezing 3 people with 1 skill is a major plus...

Back