firewalls, anti-virus and spyware oh my

ad ware is free and works well, the only time a person should get pop ups is then they have ad ware and spy ware on their comps.

yeah I'll try, I'm atually changing all my email accounts to go through outlook and my friend said that outlook is going to get me alot of viruses. But hopefully Norton will pick it up. I'm using zonealarm for a firewall right now.

well that sucks, what other program is there that I can transfer all my mail accounts to and have a calendar.:(

actually i know only 1 website that actually has pop-ups and i use NO pop up blockers

actually i know only 1 website that actually has pop-ups and i use NO pop up blockers

ok i just hought bout 3 but reg sites no wryys

My eyes hurt from reading so many forums thread and my back is sore from sitting in this craptacular chair BUT I wanted to chime in and suggest the following programs:

Avast Home Edition - FREE anti-virus software

Spybot Search & Destroy - FREE spyware removal utility

Ad-Aware Home Edition - FREE spyware and adware removal utility

CWShredder - FREE spyware removal utility geared towards removing CoolWebSearch and variants

Notice the big ol' FREE tacked on to all descriptions. Should you use any of these programs frequently, please consider donating to the respective software developers.

Outlook is bad news... it is supposed to be through an outlook hole that the HL2 theives got access to the source and such.

Just a warning to anyone interested in listening, PestPatrol is of the devil.  You have been warned.
mad.gif

Tips for using Outlook safely (as I have done for over 7 years):

- Disable the preview pane for your inbox, deleted items and any spam folders you may setup. This keeps from you accidently previewing a message that may run nefarius code.  That also means you have to manually open the messages.
- Get a virus scanner that integrates into Outlook (IE McAffee, which is not free but sometimes you have to pay for good security)
- Get a spam blocker that integrates into Outlook like SpamBayes (open source http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/ )
- Make sure you are running the latest SP and Patch Often

Tips for using Internet Explorer safely (as I have done for 9 years now):

- Stay away from warez sites, hacking sites and domains in other countries that have limited legal control over the content (IE like ones that end in ru for Russia)
- Stick to sites that actually have a corporate presence that could be held responsible for their actions online
- Only download from reputable sites and scan the file for viruses after you update your viruscan software
- Stay away from gimicky software (like screensavers and background changers) or software being offered as free
- Make sure you are running the latest SP and Patch Often

Thank you Tasty and Heiscommingsoon for missing the point of my post. No browser is 100% safe if the internet habits you have are unsafe. If all you visit are legitimate business and personal sites, you will have minimum exposure to virus and expoits. I am not here to get into an argument about which browser is better or not. Pure and simple fact is most people use Microsoft products. That is why there are more exploits. Why waist time developing exploits for mozilla users that make up a fraction of the internet browsers? Better to inform the average user about how to protect themselfs and no longer be ignorant than try to load browser and email programs they are not familiar with.

As far as free security software, just remember your comment when your free software breaks and lets something harmful in even if you stay upto date and patched. Who is going to cover your losses? Not the open source developers who wrote the software or the linux company that made their public distribution available for download. Free? Yes. The best solution? Depends on how much you value your data.

What about this?

The AlphaShield NAAS-01 Firewall Security Auto Disconnect is a truly unique and powerful device that provides you with the protection you need against hacking and information theft. The AlphaShield features real-time packet authorization (RPA) which allows only requested information into the computer and keep all unsolicited visitors out.

FEATURES:

IP Stealth Technology makes your computer invisible to would-be-hackers.

Complete Privacy and Total Protection: AlphaShield puts you in control of your internet experience. Simply plug the unit between your computer and high-speed modem and experience the peace of mind security you need.

AlphaGap Technology automatically disconnects the computer from the Internet when not in use, eliminating the possibility of unwanted intrusions.

Wow, did I miss something or did I not mention the majority of users out their still use Microsoft products.  That is real nice that open source is cheaper and better.  But that is pointless unless the majority of average users start switching to open source software and linux operating systems.  Since that is still 5-10 years down the road, best to tell users how to use the software they have now.

Fact, majority of users still use Microsoft products (even if they are buggy and get exploited frequently).
Fact, open source software and free linux distros are free so they don't have to provide support.
Fact, I said you would have a minimum exposure to exploits and bugs but you will never be 100% safe even if visiting legit websites.  So don't misquote me.
Fact, Mozilla is still new and not widely accepted nor used.  Web browsing is still done by the majority with IE.

So what I don't get is why you are giving me a hard time for trying to show users how to use Microsoft products correctly? I don't get it.  Do you feel I attacked you personally and that is why you are getting defensive.  No I guess I do get it.  I don't have any problem if you are a diehard linux fan, but just don't get so defensive.  Try helping out for once.
rock.gif

You saying MS sucks is just as pointless as me saying linux sucks.  All it will do is incite futile arguments over something that is highly based on preference, past experience and availability to the average user.  So arguing about which is better is pointless.  It doesn't get to the heart of the matter which is user accountability.  Users are the front line defense in making sure their systems are upto date and that they use they machines properly.  And to quote a net zero commercial not "go willy nilly over the internet".

Linux is no stranger to bugs and exploits either.  I have had to patch several linux systems recently because of exploits just as devasting as those that exist on windows boxes.  As far as hosing a linux system, they are just as easy to mess up as windows.  Just mess up an upgrade of a kernel to find out how much fun linux systems can be.  So again it boils down, not to the software but the person who is using it.  Do they know how to use it properly and configure it correctly?  You get a user that knows that and they can make any system windows or linux based as inpenetrable as a tank.  You teach a user not run into a minefield and they are not going to get blown up.  An informed and knowledgeable user is powerful thing.

Back