FF against WoW people elitism

Kunkali

So something that has been coming up lately has been bothering me. I want to set a few things straight. What game one plays does not make one better than other people. As Christians we should never judge others solely based on whether they play WoW or FF. This "we play FF and WoW people are dumb" type attitude has to go. This only creates cliquishness and elitism and divides people unnecessarily.

If this is a ministry which is trying to represent Christ in the gaming world, these attitudes HAVE TO GO. There is no place in ministry for these types of attitudes and it CERTAINLY should not be displayed by those in leadership.

I second this statement. And while we're on this topic, I'd just like to share something I found and replied to on the Core forums. I think it bears repeating:

It seems that the mmorpg community has severely degraded into a cesspool of crap. I am so sick of the ranged class taking my mob as I am standing on top of it pulling my weapon out. I would like to think that most of them are punk kids but you never know. I have a really good memory for people who screw me over. And I hate to say it but there are so many idiots playing FFXIV that I am going to have to start writing their names down on a list. I bet most of them are exwow players. How about you do you play like a idiot and try to range claim a mob from a mile away before the other person thatss standing on top on the mob trying to pull their weapon out?

Just highlighting the above to say, please don't lump all World of Warcraft players with those who act like jerks in FFXIV. :D Not all WoW gamers are jerks. My personal rule in just about any game is reminding myself, no matter how snobbish or elitist another player is, they're still another human being on the other end of that avatar. Trolling, ninja'ing and elitism will never go away, but kindness and respect still outmatch all three. It's just our nature to accentuate the negatives we see, rather than rest in the fact there are mature and like-minded gamers still out there.

Also, keep in mind not all ninjas are seriously trying to ninja. I can vouch for the fact that lag and framerates, and heck, even camera angle, can make it hard to judge or see a mob someone is trying to target. Some may even be little kids who don't know what they're doing is disrespectful. Naivety still goes hand in hand with youth. Much is lost in written language, too, so try not to look too much into things people say. And for every cesspool, there's always a counterpoint mountain lake.

Ok, that last analogy didn't make much sense, but you get the picture.

Edit to add: The first quote is from a Core forum user I don't want to name (no sense in "calling someone out" so to speak). The second quote was written by me. I realized I left this info out when I originally posted, and thought I'd point it out in case anyone got confused. :)

Last edited:
So something that has been coming up lately has been bothering me. I want to set a few things straight. What game one plays does not make one better than other people. As Christians we should never judge others solely based on whether they play WoW or FF. This "we play FF and WoW people are dumb" type attitude has to go. This only creates cliquishness and elitism and divides people unnecessarily.

If this is a ministry which is trying to represent Christ in the gaming world, these attitudes HAVE TO GO. There is no place in ministry for these types of attitudes and it CERTAINLY should not be displayed by those in leadership.

I do agree with most of what you are saying. But, in the defense of those that say things against wow players ---

The attitude/discrimination originally started with people that played world of warcraft and basically called everyone a 'insert whatever word' if they played any other game and their reasons for playing it were mocked. I've been treated poorly by many wow players simply because I loved FFXI. I'm not a mindless dull-brained person because I want to think/solve puzzles in my games, and not have quests pointed out, and have an actual deep story in game.

In response to playing one game over another - FFXI does have a complex battle system/party system where every single battle is pre-planned strategically or you die. It is more difficult or they wouldn't have kept making things easier over time (IE - making Chains of Promathia expansion easier because average groups couldn't make it through)

The blame goes both ways - I will have respect for any individual that has come from another game that comes to FFXIV. We may be the only linkshell that can bring players from all different games to enjoy this one and try not to bias ourselves against each other.

(I might have to come back and edit this to sound better... I don't like bias in ANY form personally)

I judge people that play WoW by calling them bad gamers :p ...not stupid people... :D (FYI: Joke) There are some really great people that play WoW...including many of the people I know...(Danae and Adam alike)...hehehehehehe... :D

Mostly when I use "elitism" towards WoW and WoW players, I am joking...and I do that a lot...but I realize some people don't take my joking and get offending and I apologize... But...one thing I will say...out of most of the MMOs I have played, WoW gave me the worst PUGs I have ever seen in an online game... :p ...and this is mostly where my "hostility" towards the game comes from...

I am choosing to cut my argument on this short, because I do not wish to argue my points in this, and really have no useful or beneficial information that would be positive to anyone... :p

Last edited:
@Cosette
Heyo! I haven't met you yet, but I'd just like to speak for the level-headed WoW gamers and apologize for any hostility shown to you from other WoW gamers. We're not all that bad. :p Unfortunately, WoW's playerbase has it's reputation marred by a very unique demographic of players who choose to look down on everyone and ridicule them for whatever reason is the flavor of the hour, and whose demographical size is undeniably massive. I've run into my fair share of those players, and always remind myself that there's still a base out there who are respectable, respectful, kind, and friendly.

As I said to the Core user I quoted above, it's our nature to accentuate the negative, and it so happens that the biggest negative of WoW is that sect of the playerbase who choose to be jerks. Couple that with the driving force of it's marketshare and subscriber numbers, and it becomes pretty infamous. :(

@Sean
I agree with your statement on PUGs. That's been one of the factors in the past that's made me want to quit. I eventually got to the point of taking regular breaks. And, btw, it's okay to call me Jeremy. :D I still haven't gotten around to changing it legally. I changed my Facebook name, emails, and most online info to get a headstart on getting used to the future change. That and to inform everyone ahead of time instead of popping up and demanding I be called Adam out of the blue. I do have friends who call me Adam, though. They're still getting used to it. lol Thank you for the compliment, also.

>>>
I don't know of the original statements that lead to this topic, and maybe it wasn't my place to join in. If so, I apologize. But being an active WoW gamer, I felt the need to accentuate the positive this time, and give some leverage to the fact that not all WoW gamers are jerks. I can't officially speak for the entire playerbase, but neither can the trolls. :p

Last edited:
You're changing your name legally to Adam? I'm confused.

Yes. It's a long story, and one I'd rather not publicize at the moment. :) Nothing like me being in trouble though. It's been a personal decision, and one I've thought over for the past couple years. I will say that I feel like I'm in a unique position to do so since I was adopted at birth.

I tried to say something about it last night in Teamspeak, but then we got to talking about WoW and eBay. lol

But now I'm hijacking the topic. So I'll shut up now. :D

@Cosette
Heyo! I haven't met you yet, but I'd just like to speak for the level-headed WoW gamers and apologize for any hostility shown to you from other WoW gamers. We're not all that bad. :p Unfortunately, WoW's playerbase has it's reputation marred by a very unique demographic of players who choose to look down on everyone and ridicule them for whatever reason is the flavor of the hour, and whose demographical size is undeniably massive. I've run into my fair share of those players, and always remind myself that there's still a base out there who are respectable, respectful, kind, and friendly.

It's nice to meet you too Ryooshi. (Are you on ffxiv?)

I agree - It is probably the massive subscriber base that leads to that opinion/discrimination. If I met one annoying person every other day in FFXI - it was a small game. If I multiplied that, then there would be probably the same amount of rude people by percentage..

It's nice to meet you too Ryooshi. (Are you on ffxiv?)

I agree - It is probably the massive subscriber base that leads to that opinion/discrimination. If I met one annoying person every other day in FFXI - it was a small game. If I multiplied that, then there would be probably the same amount of rude people by percentage..

I'm in KoA. :) Just joined Monday night, but haven't been able to play since doing my guildleves that night due to being busy.

Back