Feb. 9, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The everlasting God . . . neither faints nor is weary
—Isaiah 40:28

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Exhaustion means that our vital energies are completely worn out and spent. Spiritual exhaustion is never the result of sin, but of service. Whether or not you experience exhaustion will depend on where you get your supplies. Jesus said to Peter, "Feed My sheep," but He gave him nothing with which to feed them ( John 21:17 ). The process of being made broken bread and poured-out wine means that you have to be the nourishment for other people’s souls until they learn to feed on God. They must drain you completely—to the very last drop. But be careful to replenish your supply, or you will quickly be utterly exhausted. Until others learn to draw on the life of the Lord Jesus directly, they will have to draw on His life through you. You must literally be their source of supply, until they learn to take their nourishment from God. We owe it to God to be our best for His lambs and sheep, as well as for Him.

Have you delivered yourself over to exhaustion because of the way you have been serving God? If so, then renew and rekindle your desires and affections. Examine your reasons for service. Is your source based on your own understanding or is it grounded on the redemption of Jesus Christ? Continually look back to the foundation of your love and affection and remember where your Source of power lies. You have no right to complain, "O Lord, I am so exhausted." He saved and sanctified you to exhaust you. Be exhausted for God, but remember that He is your supply. "All my springs are in you" ( Psalm 87:7 ).

Scripture in Context:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why do you say, O Jacob, and assert, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD, And the justice due me escapes the notice of my God"? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, And to {him who} lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, And vigorous young men stumble badly, Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up {with} wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.
--Isaiah 40:37-31

Today's devotional deals a lot with me. I teach a program called Corps Cadets, whose basis is to teach teenagers how to be good Christians and good leaders within the church. It is exhausting work. Between preparing the lessons, and attempting to get them to listen during the lesson, I come out of the classroom worn out.

Yet they are learning. Slowly but surely, bit by bit, they learn. Not nearly so much from the lesson book the church provides, but by watching me, watching the pastor, and watching all the other elders of the church. They see how we act, and then the listen to what I'm saying, and realize exactly how the way I and others act, is a direct result of our relationship with Christ.

Yet it is still exhausting.

I see these children learn more and more. And it is a wonderful feeling. As one decides to become an apologist, I give that one, a whole host of resources to help. As another, decides that he wants to serve the Lord as the guy running the soundboard, I teach him all I know, and leave it to him. I see them starting to grow, and wanting to serve the Lord in ways unique to each of them and their personalities.

Yet it is still exhausting.

And now I know why. I had never truly understood the concept that Jesus spoke of when He told Peter to 'Feed My Sheep.' I spend so much time, teaching the kids, doing devotions with my wife, and all these other little things of service, that I slowly slack up on the time I spend with just me and God. Yes I still do my devotions, but they're harried, and I spend more time on Bible study. Yes I still read my Bible, but again, it's with a dictionary and concordance in the other hand. YEs I still pray, but it's more for the children that are entrusted to me to lead and teach.

I feed and I feed, until I have barely enough food to nourish myself. And then I forget to go to the store.

Are you that way today? SPiritually underfed? If so, God is better than Wal-Mart. He's open 24 hours a day, and His prices are still lower. He wants to welcome us to Him with open arms. As a well spring. Of life affirming water. He has promised strength to the weary, and we grow weariest while giving all we have to serve Him.

All we have to do, is ask for some of that strength.

Back