Feb. 15, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]None of us lives to himself . . .
—Romans 14:7

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Has it ever dawned on you that you are responsible spiritually to God for other people? For instance, if I allow any turning away from God in my private life, everyone around me suffers. We "sit together in the heavenly places . . ." ( Ephesians 2:6 ). "If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it . . ." ( 1 Corinthians 12:26 ). If you allow physical selfishness, mental carelessness, moral insensitivity, or spiritual weakness, everyone in contact with you will suffer. But you ask, "Who is sufficient to be able to live up to such a lofty standard?" "Our sufficiency is from God . . ." and God alone ( 2 Corinthians 3:5 ).

"You shall be witnesses to Me . . ." ( Acts 1:8 ). How many of us are willing to spend every bit of our nervous, mental, moral, and spiritual energy for Jesus Christ? That is what God means when He uses the word witness. But it takes time, so be patient with yourself. Why has God left us on the earth? Is it simply to be saved and sanctified? No, it is to be at work in service to Him. Am I willing to be broken bread and poured-out wine for Him? Am I willing to be of no value to this age or this life except for one purpose and one alone—to be used to disciple men and women to the Lord Jesus Christ. My life of service to God is the way I say "thank you" to Him for His inexpressibly wonderful salvation. Remember, it is quite possible for God to set any of us aside if we refuse to be of service to Him—". . . lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified" ( 1 Corinthians 9:27 ).

Verse in Context
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] But him that is weak in faith receive ye, yet not for decision of scruples. One man hath faith to eat all things: but he that is weak eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth set at nought him that eateth not; and let not him that eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest the servant of another? to his own lord he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be made to stand; for the Lord hath power to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let each man be fully assured in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord: and he that eateth, eateth unto the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, unto the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. For none of us liveth to himself, and none dieth to himself. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; or whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. But thou, why dost thou judge thy brother? or thou again, why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment-seat of God.

--Romans 14:1-10

Throughout the Bible, there's an underlying story of service. Of service, between family members, between neighbors and between God and us.

This story of service is important to remember, for it's the default state for a Christian. WE should always be ready to serve! We should be willing to serve God in anything. WE should be willing to serve our neighbors when they need help. We should be willing to server our family when they need help.

But what exactly is service? The dictionary defines it as
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. The act of serving; the occupation of a servant; the performance of labor for the benefit of another, or at another's command; attendance of an inferior, hired helper, slave, etc., on a superior, employer, master, or the like; also, spiritual obedience and love. ``O God . . . whose service is perfect freedom.'' --Bk. of Com. Prayer.

Notice that service is not just a physical obedience, but its spiritual as well. Not just that, but service is the work you do while serving. Now remember the Bible tells us that everything we do, we should do unto the Lord. So when we're serving others, when we are doing the work for someone else, we should be doing it as unto the Lord.

Yet the most important service is our service to God. We should be willing and ready to lay all we have on the line in service, both physically and spiritually, to God. For that is the service that is proper and good.

Are you ready for that? Are you willing to do that? Are you serving Him?

Back