Favor of the God's update!

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
idk if I like this too much..

Guildwars.com said:
Changes to Favor of the Gods

When adventurers accomplish heroic deeds, the gods grant blessings to their world, known as "favor of the gods." Soon, adventurers will have new ways to earn this blessing.

Originally, the favor of the gods was granted to a specific "region" of players based on events in the Hall of Heroes. As of August 9, 2007, the favor of the gods will affect all players in the game world, regardless of where they live in the real world.

Earning Achievements

Favor will now be granted based on character-driven achievements. Each time a character achieves the maximum rank in a qualifying title, the world will be one step closer to gaining the gods' favor.

When a character earns one of these achievements, that character's name and accomplishment will broadcast in seven locations: the Temple of the Ages, Lion's Arch, the Great Temple of Balthazar, Kaineng Center, Zin Ku Corridor, Kamadan, and the Chantry of Secrets.

After twenty announcements have been made, all Guild Wars players in all territories will be granted the gods' favor for one hour. If another character earns an achievement during that time, the favor of the gods will be extended for an additional three minutes.

The first twenty-one qualifying titles are:

Survivor
Defender of Ascalon
Legendary Cartographer
Legendary Guardian
Legendary Skill Hunter
Legendary Vanquisher
Sunspear
Lightbringer
Kurzick
Luxon
Lucky
Unlucky
Gamer
Drunkard
Treasure Hunter
Wisdom
Sweet Tooth
Champion
Hero
Gladiator
Commander

Additional qualifying titles will be added upon the release of Guild Wars: Eye of the North.

Favor in Explorable Areas

When the world gains the gods' favor, statues to the gods will light up at specific locations in explorable areas. There's a limit to the number of these statues in the world. Each statue is located near a resurrection shrine or a gate between explorable areas.

When you find one of these statues, your character can kneel in front of it to summon an avatar of that god. After speaking to the avatar, your character can exchange gold for a temporary bonus. Possible bonuses include a morale boost, more Health, or a higher attribute. The bonus expires when you map travel or use a gate.

Special Realms

While the world has the favor of the gods, characters can travel to two special realms: the Underworld and the Fissure of Woe. To get to one of these special locations, your character will need to kneel before a statue of Grenth or Balthazar. These statues can be found in one of the following locations: the Temple of Ages (from the original Guild Wars campaign), Zin Ku Corridor (from Factions), or Chantry of Secrets (from Nightfall).

If your character kneels before one of these Grenth statues, that character can summon a spirit called the Voice of Grenth. By spending one platinum, your character can enter the Underworld, along with the rest of your party.

If your character kneels before Balthazar instead, you'll summon an avatar of the Lord of War. After spending one platinum, your party can travel to the Fissure of Woe.

Changes to the Hall of Heroes

Originally, the favor of the gods was granted to one region of players, depending on events in the Hall of Heroes. When a team of characters defended the Hall five consecutive times, all players from that region gained the favor of the gods.

Although maintaining control of the Hall no longer has an effect on the favor of the gods, the game will still globally announce when a team has defended that arena in PvP.

Interesting. Not sure I like it either though. Eliminates competition between the regions and makes HoH victory a little less important. It ought to allow more consistent favor during peak play times though. Not sure what this will do to the price of scrolls either.

I hope that they add a countdown timer for favor so you have some warning to replace the "Europe must win 1 more time to take favor" message.

The other interesting thing to note is that GuildWiki does not list max title ranks for any of the PvP titles yet, but they were included in the list of titles that count if you max them out.

I would assume that Scrolls may go up I mean how many people can get a title whenever they want sheesh.

Well, the update page includes the comment that they added a /favor emote to check the favor status.

Several skill changes too. Most notable that I saw were:

• Arcane Echo: decreased recharge time to 20 seconds.
  • Glyph of Elemental Power: increased duration to 25 seconds; increased number of Spells affected to 10.
  • Aegis: decreased Energy cost to 10; decreased area-of-effect range to earshot.
  • Several ritualist skills now cause exhaustion
  • Spirit Rift: increased casting time to 2 seconds.
  • Decreased casting time and recharge of several ranger spirits

well personally I like this. This is because Europe holds Favor during the day and it's only late at night that players in the american realm will aquire favor. I never understood why this PvE reward was bound to PvP achievement. It's good that there is now the ability to gain it through a PvE based means. I mean how often have you wanted to go to FoW or UW and couldn't because we didn't have favor? Now we will all have the opportunity. Plus there are smaller realms such as Japan and Korea that seldom win favor at all. Now everyone can have access to these places that many like to play in.

it will be interetsing how well it works when it accualy starts. it would be cool to get a title and have lots of people see.

Bet the Europeans don't like this update. Now the change to Aegis is interesting. How big of an area is earshot?

Does the Underworld and Fissure of Woe still have the best stuff or most hard to do after the two campaigns this game had? I must say I am quite impress, since going to those places was pretty much all you could after beating original prophecies campaign since there was no expansions at that time. All I remember it was quite rare since we all had to wait for the favor to come. I am hoping this new method makes it better.

Naw, UW is a challenge but FoW was never that bad. If you want a real challenge in this game, try the domain of anguish in nightfall or one of the 2 elite missions in Factions; Urgoz's warren and The Deep. FoW/UW either need to be revamped to make them more challenging again or they should just open them up to allow anyone to enter at anytime. I think this update is the next best thing.

na, don't like it. I think it's only there because Tiawan never got favor, and that little kids can never stay up to 10PM. Scrolls fixed that second one, but it's no longer gonna be cool to say i won Favor...:( Just gonna have to see how it goes. I will miss the late night FoW runs...**sniff**

Ecto and shards should drop in price........gonna see a lot more people running around in FoW armor. which does kinda take the eliteness out of it.

I wonder if that was the plan, as a new xpac is coming out with new armors. Perhaps one armor set will be even more uber hard to get then FoW was.

The other interesting thing to note is that GuildWiki does not list max title ranks for any of the PvP titles yet, but they were included in the list of titles that count if you max them out.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought about. "Hero? Huh?" I mean, as long as people keep winning, max SHOULD keep going up.

For Hero, I think that every time someone reaches a set rank or higher it should count. But make it pretty high. Rank 15 maybe?

from what little i played the other day, this change basically means that you always have favor. i would hit /favor every now and then, and the "time remaining" went up each time....

It made me sad when we WON IN THE HALL and it didn't even matter. There were 584 minutes of favor remaining anyway...

Back