Farewell Brothers and Sisters

Zandaris

It is with sadness that I write this post. I've enjoyed playing with all of you over the last year. I have seen the legion grow and members level and I truly believe the legions greatest times are still ahead.

The time has come though for me to lay down the games. Not just this game but all games. I have played games for as long as I remember and have played online games since 2000. They have consumed large amounts of my time.

I have always struggled to find balance between gaming and real life. At times my desire to play, leans toward addiction and lately it has been one of those times that I have been putting way to much focus on the game. I would like to think there is some happy medium that I could just adjust my priorities and continue to play but as my wife and I discussed last night there is a pattern in me. I will do well for a while then I will start devoting more and more time to the game.

I have also been putting the game ahead of even the Lord. Desiring to play rather than go to Wednesday night service or Thursday night men's fellowship. The Lord is a merciful God and he has done a number of what I call "heart checks" on me recently. That's where He says where is your heart. Give up gaming for Me and if you can't do it right then and there you know your heart is not in the right place. Mine wasn't.

So it is with great sadness that I say good bye. I love you guys. You are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Please forgive me if I have hurt any of your feelings in the past or even now. I know at times I can be a little rough around the edges.

God bless you all!!

Love Always in Christ Jesus our Lord,
Shawn

its always sad when a fellow gamer leaves
more so when there a christian
may the lord bless you

p.s. can i have your gold
just kiddin

I wish I had been able to get online today to play one last game with you. My priorities, though, were to spend Father's Day with the family by taking a drive into the mountains after church.

We'll miss you and Bonnie a lot. You are our brother and sister in Christ and I've enjoyed gaming and fellowshipping with you both. But God and family must always take priority over games. I hope you'll be able to hop into vent from time to time for some fellowship.

My current subscription runs out on July 5th, so I'll probably take a month or two break. GoGamer.com seems to have shut down and they had the best deal on the 60-day cards. Amazon and some others have it for $25, but I'll wait a bit to see if the price drops closer to $20 which is what GoGamer.com sold them for.

p.s. I'll be keeping an eye on the Rift forum to see if you sneak over there and start playing Rift like John did :p

I will miss your mentorship but in the same breath I say I respect and admire your choice. I am glad to see the Lord at work in this time of sorrow for the Churches seeing attendance and Baptisms dropping.
The Lord is with you and will be your rock which to stand upon. Lean on him for when there are only one set of tracks in the sand. It is then that he carries you! He is our light and Savior, through him all things are possible.

Respectfully
Rick

Well I’ve only known you a little over a week and i will miss getting the chance to group and fellowship with you guys in the game.

Like others have said, i to admire your decision and find it to be an encouragement in that it gives me a moment to pause and take a look at where I’m at and to listen to the Lord to see if he is telling my something that I’m not paying attention to.

On the one hand I’m sad to see you go as we are losing a fellow gamer but on the other hand i rejoice in knowing that we have not lost a brother.

May our Lord bless you and your family and that through this He will be glorified and His witness will continue to spread through your obedience to Him.

God Bless!!

Art

Last edited:
aw.. you're leaving?
I hate to see you go :(

Remember that we are always here as brothers/sisters in Christ, so if you need any prayer, or someone to support you, I'm here!

I pray that God will guide you to the right direction and provide abundant grace and strength to you.

-Bruce

I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

I do understand though, this can be an addictive game and when it interferes with your family and spiritual life priorities need to be redirected.

You will be very much missed. I always appreciated your willingness to help and will try to follow your example in game.

Just a heads up, my account has not been canceled, however Shawn did cancel his. I still enjoy playing and fellow shipping with everyone, however I don't want to log in and cause him to "stumble". Does that make sense?

Yep, that makes sense. I hope at some point you'll be able to play again, Bonnie. You're an awesome healer.

So by cancelling his account, does that mean his characters are deleted?

His characters are still there, he's just not paying the monthly fee and since he is no longer paying the monthly fee, he won't have access to them.

I regret to see you go as well, but glad you made the right choice. We can't allow things to hinder our walk with Him.

I know the Lord will Bless you,

Love in Christ,
Nathan

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I miss all or you.

I have to be honest and say my game play quitting lasted a whole 3 days. Apparently I had quite the vice and to go cold turkey didn't work out so well. I played a bit on games that I felt I could walk away from easily.

Since then I have started reading, praying and spending more time with the Lord and my wife. Just recently some strongholds came down and I feel the presence of the Lord in away I haven't felt in a long time. It's good to be rid of that stuff.

I still enjoy the games but I don't feel compelled to play like I did before. I asked the Lord about playing MMOs again and felt His peace with it. I asked Him to keep me in line. lol

I was thinking about coming back to Aion but I have a number of things against the game.

1. The game takes a lot of time. I was spending 2 hours just doing daily quests.
  2. The game is a pve/pvp game. Which I like but the problem is they force you into pvp by making you do quests and having dungeons in the pvp areas. Then they make getting pvp gear very time consuming and hard to get.
  3. The dungeons take a long time to run. Sure we would get faster as we get geared out but they would still take awhile. There really are no 30 min to 1 hour dungeons end game.
  4. PvP is sporadic. Except for the occasional shard war there really is no good place to go pvp in the game if I just want to log in and do that. I either have to wait for dredge and often that's more pve than pvp or wait for the forts to become available which for me is midnight.
  5. I also got tired of constantly looking over my shoulder while doing pve quests or even worse seeing 2 or 3 enemies coming and getting steamed rolled anyway.

So I started looking for something that had pve and pvp. Something that I could hop in, have some fun and leave within a hour and still feel I accomplished something. I scoured the MMOs. Warhammer I liked but it's all but dead, being down to 2 servers. World of Warcraft had most of that but I really didn't want to go back to that since I played it for nearly 2 years. DAOC was good but that game is just so old now. That left Rift. Mike is saying I knew it!

I got the trial account and had fun. I did not get on the same server as the others in ToJ members. They are on a pvp server and I heard Rift pvp servers are bad. Imagine Aion leveling with level 50s coming and killing you in Eltnen. So I'm on a pve server and will stay there.

Bonnie doesn't really like the game. She says it's too dark and said she would not play. After some discussion I signed up for a 3 month membership. I'll see how it goes. Currently I am not playing any where close to how much I played before.

Classes are a bit different. You pick from Warrior, Rogue, Mage or Healer. Then you choose 3 of the sub classes you want to play within the main classes. You can switch sub classes at any time so if you get tired of playing a Pyromancer you can switch to a Stormancer. You get tired of that try an Elementalist or Cholormancer which spells do damage and heal your group.

If I decide to stay with the game I will probably start a Christian guild or find one on a pve server. Pve servers still allow you do pvp but you are not flagged for pvp all the time. This means I can do my pve quests in peace. LOL. They have a battleground system that allows you get into pvp action quick as well. Most I waited was 3 mins. With in 4 battles, 2 wins and 2 losses, I was able to pick up some pvp gear. The pvp gear did not have any + or - to damage. It just had more endurance which just gives you more health and a bit more armor so you live a little longer. Nothing that makes or breaks pvp.

I'm not trying to lure anyone away from Aion but if you would like to try it there is a free trial here. https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/mmo-free-trial/ I am on the Threesprings server.

The game showed 24.99 for the collectors edition and you'll want that if you decide to buy. The mount at the beginning is a must. During the trial period though they offered the collectors version of the game for 9.99. 10 bucks for the game. That was a no brainier. I just bookmarked the 9.99 page so I could get back to it and when I bought it I got it at that price.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying Aion. God Bless you all.

-Shawn

Last edited:
I knew it!!! lol

We miss you. The Legion has definitely become less active since you left. Glad you're enjoying Rift, though.

Your misgivings about Aion are the same as mine. I enjoy the PvE on the game, but dislike the PvP since it is so gear-oriented. I've been working on leveling my Sorc, currently at lvl 42, and looking at the lvl 40 PvP gear. It will take me a LOT of AP to get that stuff. It's discouraging. My cleric got rolled by an asmo Sin who had orange PvP armor and weapons, all plus 15. I think it was one or two hits.

I just applied another 60-day card, so my sub with Aion is good until Sept 2. If the GW2 release is announced, then I may not play Aion past Sept 2. Alternatively, I may look at the new Star Wars game.

I didn't like Rift when I did a trial a few months ago, but perhaps I'll give it another try. I think I created a mage of some type. I don't remember.

I like the idea of being on a PvE server, with the option of doing PvP. The ToJ folks chose PvP because it opens up other aspects of the game? If it's as much fun being on a PvE server, maybe playing Rift will hold me over until either GW2 or SWTOR comes out.

If you want to go Mage, Pyromancer is the closest to a Sorc. Elementalist would be a Spiritmaster. You have up to 3 classes at once so you can be a Pyromancer and have the Elementilist pet to tank for you. So it's like being a Sorc with a SMs pet. The Stormcaller is a bit of hard one I think since you have to build up charges but does crazy AoE damage. I haven't tried anything else in the Mage line yet. They say for leveling Pyro/Ele/whatever is good and Warlock/Necro/whatever is good.

Cleric I tried Cabalist/Inquisitor at first but did not like it so then I tried Inquistor/Warden which worked great. Cabs have more aoe damage and Inq is more single target. Wardens have hots so they worked nicely while doing damage to just hot myself.

Rouge I tried a number of things. Bards are fun. Their damage heals the group and they get heal spells. They are kinda like a chanter as far as buffs but totally different fighting style. I finally settled on Marksman/Ranger/Bard.

War I haven't leveled much. I'm just fooling around with the classes and seeing what like.

At level 13 you can pick up all the sub-classes you didn't pick at first so you can have them all. Around 15 I found the game really starts being fun since you can participate in more events and actually contribute.

Last edited:
I miss you lots Shawn :p. Is it bad to hope you hate Rift lol :p. I hope you like it seriously though. Glad to hear you are doing well

I miss all of you as well. All of you is what really kept me playing as long as I did.

I'll have to see how Rift end game is. I'm leveling Poisonlily first this time and I'm already 23. 50 is the cap so if I keep leveling like I have been, I should make it shortly. It is a lot easier to level in Rift than Aion.

Currently I'm still having a lot of fun. Zone wide events are crazy. Bosses popping up everywhere and taking over towns. You have to defend the city and close the rifts. The battlegrounds (Warfront) for pvp has been fun. I usually only spend a minute or so in the queue before I'm into pvp action. They are cross-server so they have quick queues. They even have cross-server dungeon joins. That took a bit longer to get in but you are able to still quests while queued for the dungeon. Then when it pops it teleports you in like dredge.

I can't say how long the dungeon was though. We had a (I'm trying to be nice here) not so nice mage that rolled need on every item. There was a nice healer blue chest that dropped and the mage got it after rolling need so the healer left and we couldn't finish the dungeon. :mad:

It's times like those that I really miss grouping with you guys. I've gotta run.
TTYL

Rift looks very much like WoW to me... especially the skill learning part...
I'm looking at the Star Wars game as well just like Aleron.. It seems promising...but who knows...?

I hate Aion PvP too just like most of us here...gear oriented is never fun to do, since I believe.. most of us have work or school here...

Back