External HDD?

When you get angry you can unplug it and use it as a brick to smash them into fine powder, oh wait that was the hard disk...

But can't you do the same by putting an HDD inside of your hard drive cage in your PC??

The whole idea is that a backup system is independent as possible from the originating system. Best practices usually include offsite backups so that when your building goes up in flames you can restore most of the data. Also if the computer gets struck by lightning or some other weird thing happens (like sharing your coffee with your computer) you wont end up loosing both at once.

and honestly for me i use it for my main storage device, IE its connected to my mac, shared with my pc, and it has back ups from both and all the one piece and gundam 00 im downloading :D

The whole idea is that a backup system is independent as possible from the originating system. Best practices usually include offsite backups so that when your building goes up in flames you can restore most of the data. Also if the computer gets struck by lightning or some other weird thing happens (like sharing your coffee with your computer) you wont end up loosing both at once.

OOH! ok, i see the point of it now...i could never figure out why put a HDD on the floor when you can put in the PC. but now i do:D

true and i was going to hook up my external to that and samba share it but i had so many difficulties trying to setup the share that i just hooked it to my mac.

I bought both an internal and external 160 GB for backing up photos. This way I can offload the photos from the main drive and I have two backups. I can pass the external around to different computers quite easily. My wife hooked up the external to her Mac and is able to use the photos she wants.

Plus I can use it with my laptop.

Having a central server would not work for us as we use wireless and it is significantly faster copying/moving files from the external drive than copying through wireless.

I originaly purchased my external because I had a two month old laptop that crashed on me. I was unable to boot into windows. I could get into a DOS prompt and that was it. I tested a USB thumb drive and found I could transfer files to it, so I bought the 160 GB USB drive and copied over all of my important files. I already had several gigabytes of photos on there, and my thumb drive is only 128 MB.

I bought both an internal and external 160 GB for backing up photos. This way I can offload the photos from the main drive and I have two backups. I can pass the external around to different computers quite easily. My wife hooked up the external to her Mac and is able to use the photos she wants.

Plus I can use it with my laptop.

Having a central server would not work for us as we use wireless and it is significantly faster copying/moving files from the external drive than copying through wireless.

I originaly purchased my external because I had a two month old laptop that crashed on me. I was unable to boot into windows. I could get into a DOS prompt and that was it. I tested a USB thumb drive and found I could transfer files to it, so I bought the 160 GB USB drive and copied over all of my important files. I already had several gigabytes of photos on there, and my thumb drive is only 128 MB.

Thats strange, are you sure it was only a 128 MB thumb drive?

:eek:oh crap look at my post count. it's the devils number!

Back