EA Games Now On Steam

Omega Amen

Member
It has begun.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2116/

I purchased and currently downloading Mass Effect. From what I have seen, the DRM scheme for this game is different on Steam than retail since it replaces the install limit restriction with needing an online connection to play the game.

Other titles worth noting available now is Spore, Warhammer Online, and Crysis. Red Alert 3, Mirror's Edge, and Dead Space will come sometime in the near future.
 
I currently got the boxed Mass Effect. I honestly can't see any effects from the DRM. But whatever hassle it could be is worth it since Mass Effect is an excellent game.

But yeah, this is great news for when I buy Red Alert 3 for my brother. They don't have it here in stock yet. :/
 
I currently got the boxed Mass Effect. I honestly can't see any effects from the DRM. But whatever hassle it could be is worth it since Mass Effect is an excellent game.
DRM will only effect you if you have to install it a 6th time.

Then you are done.

No more installs fo joo!
 
Actually no thats not 100% correct odale, The Drm is limited to 5 installs on 5 different machines, EA openly stated in thier customer support that if more licenses are needed then they will be granted, just don't lose the reciept or original box, the verification process is a royal pain
 
Actually no thats not 100% correct odale, The Drm is limited to 5 installs on 5 different machines, EA openly stated in thier customer support that if more licenses are needed then they will be granted, just don't lose the reciept or original box, the verification process is a royal pain
I bought the product, so therefore I should need no permission to do what I want with the product I spent my money on.

If you need the CD/DVD to use the program, there is your copyright protection. I believe people should not copy CD/DVD's anyway.

I don't like jumping through hoops so I can use the product I bought.
 
I bought the product, so therefore I should need no permission to do what I want with the product I spent my money on.

If you need the CD/DVD to use the program, there is your copyright protection. I believe people should not copy CD/DVD's anyway.

I don't like jumping through hoops so I can use the product I bought.


First I agree that people should not copy a cd or dvd to let others use it Odale, but having a disc is not the same as a copywrite protection since there are software on the market to bypass these measures, therefore the companies like EA will go to the next best security hardest to breach, unfortunately SecuRom also happens to be the worst to get to run on a pc.
No one likes jumping thru hoops to use a product but until these Hackers stop illegally copying software and games then it will never end.

This is to all Gamers, READ THE EULA!!! before complaining.
If the EULA is read then you purchase a license right and are allowed to use the software for the allowed time of the DRM, so what happens afterwards, if a extension is not granted then you rented this game for a time designated by the Digital Rights Management [DRM], You have also agreed to let EA in this case gather information about your computer. Most do not read these but click on the agree to install, Every Game comes with a DRM, some DRM's limit the number of installs while others limit how many Pc's the game can be installed on at one time, once again the DRM is put in place for your saftety, if you legally own a game then its not a problem. Where most people have problems with and confuse the two are the Copy Protection like SecuRom which many pc's have problems running and it installs a Root Kit.
I use the word You in a liberal sense in this post, not directed at Odale.
EA's End User License Agreements are Basically the same depending on if its a Disc version or EADM Digital version there will be minor differences, here is a copy of one of my games EULA:

ELECTRONIC ARTS
SOFTWARE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
FOR HELLGATE: LONDON​


This End User License Agreement (“License”) is an agreement between you and Electronic Arts Inc. ("EA"). This License governs your use of this software and all related documentation, and updates and upgrades that replace or supplement the software and are not distributed with a separate license (collectively, the "Software").

By installing or using the Software, you consent to be bound by this License. If you do not agree to the terms of this License, then do not install or use the Software. Section 3 below describes the data EA may use to provide services and support to you in connection with the Software. If you do not agree to this use of data, do not install or use the Software. The Software has a separate online component which requires you to enter into an agreement with Ping0, LLC in order to access certain features, and which may require additional fees. For purposes of this License only, Flagship Studios, Inc. PING0, LLC, Aria Systems LLC and Namco Bandai Games America Inc. are each a “Related Party,” and together the “Related Parties.”



If you install the Software, the terms and conditions of this License are fully accepted by you.

1. License Grant and Terms of Use.

A. Grant. EA grants you a personal, non-exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, non-commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation. Any commercial use is prohibited. You are expressly prohibited from sub-licensing, renting, leasing or otherwise distributing the Software or rights to use the Software, except by transfer as expressly set forth in paragraph 2 below. The term of your License shall commence on the date that you install or otherwise use the Software, and shall terminate as set forth in Section 5.



B. Copies. If you purchase rights to the Software using a digital distribution method (i.e. you download your Software from an authorized site), you may download the number of copies allowed by the Software's digital rights management from an authorized source in the time period(s) specified at the time of purchase. You may use only one copy of the Software at any given time. You are prohibited from making a copy of the Software available on a network where it could be downloaded, installed or used by multiple users. For more information concerning the digital rights management that applies to this Software, please review the purchase or other terms accompanying the distribution of the Software. Your license will terminate immediately if you attempt to circumvent digital rights management for the Software.



C. Reservation of Rights and Restrictions. This Software is licensed, and not sold. Except as expressly licensed to you herein, EA reserves all right, title and interest in the Software (including all characters, storyline, images, photographs, animations, video, music, text), and all associated copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights therein. This License is limited to the intellectual property rights of EA and its licensors in the Software and does not include any rights to other patents or intellectual property. Except to the extent permitted under applicable law, you may not decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer the Software by any means whatsoever. You may not remove, alter, or obscure any product identification, copyright, or other intellectual property notices in the software.


2. Transfer. You may make a one time permanent transfer of all your rights to install and use the Software to another individual or legal entity provided that: (a) the digital rights management used by your Software supports such transfers; (b) you also transfer this License and all copies of the Software; (b) you retain no copies of the Software; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this License. EA may require that any end user of the Software register the Software online as a condition of use. You may not be able to transfer the right to receive updates, dynamically served content, or the right to use any online service of EA or any Related Party in connection with the Software. Please consult the Ping0, LLC Hellgate: London Terms of Service to determine whether an online account attached to the CD Key associated with this License may be transferred. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER PRE-RELEASE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE.



3. Consent to Use of Data. You agree that EA, its affiliates, and each Related Party may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer, including without limitation your Internet Protocol address, operating system, application software and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online play. EA and/or the Related Parties may also use this information in the aggregate and, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share that aggregate data with our third party service providers.



4. Termination. This License is effective until terminated. Your rights under this License will terminate immediately and automatically without any notice from EA if you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this License. Promptly upon termination, you must cease all use of the Software and destroy all copies of the Software in your possession or control. Termination will not limit any of EA’s other rights or remedies at law or in equity. Sections 1.C. and 4-16 of this License shall survive termination or expiration of this License for any reason.

5. Limited Warranty on Recording Media. THE LIMITED WARRANTY ON RECORDING MEDIA THAT ACCOMPANIES YOUR SOFTWARE IS FOUND IN THE PRODUCT MANUALTHAT WAS DISTRIBUTED WITH YOUR SOFTWARE AND IS INCORPORATED HEREIN BY REFERENCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS UNDER APPLICABLE LOCAL LAW, WHICH VARY BY JURISDICTION.



6. Disclaimer of Warranties. EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTY ON RECORDING MEDIA FOUND IN THE PRODUCT MANUAL, AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE ENTIRE RISK OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE RESIDES WITH YOU. EA, EA’S LICENSORS, AND THE RELATED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM, ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, AND WARRANTIES (IF ANY) ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. EA AND THE RELATED PARTIES DO NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE SOFTWARE; THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT THE SOFWARE WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE OR THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN ADVICE PROVIDED BY EA, THE RELATED PARTIES OR ANY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

7. Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL EA OR ANY OF THE RELATED PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOST PROFITS, COST OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR ANY FORM OF INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES FROM ANY CAUSES OF ACTION RELATED TO THIS LICENSE OR THE SOFTWARE, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER OR NOT EA OR ANY OF THE RELATED PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATIONS OR CERTAIN INTENTIONAL OR NEGLIGENT ACTS, OR VIOLATION OF SPECIFIC STATUTES, OR THE LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. In no event shall EA’s or any Related Party’s total liability to you for all damages (except as required by applicable law) exceed the amount actually paid by you for the Software.



8. Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranties are Material Terms of this License. You agree that the provisions in this License that limit liability are essential terms of this License. The foregoing limitations of liability apply even if the above stated remedy under the Limited Warranty for Recording Media fails in its essential purpose.



9. Severability. If any provision of this License is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision shall be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this License shall continue in full force and effect.



10. U.S. Government Restricted Rights. If you are a government end user, then this provision applies to you. The Software provided in connection with this License has been developed entirely at private expense, as defined in FAR section 2.101, DFARS section 252.227-7014(a)(1) and DFARS section 252.227-7015 (or any equivalent or subsequent agency regulation thereof), and is provided as “commercial items,” “commercial computer software” and/or “commercial computer software documentation.” Consistent with DFARS section 227.7202 and FAR section 12.212, and to the extent required under U.S. federal law, the minimum restricted rights as set forth in FAR section 52.227-19 (or any equivalent or subsequent agency regulation thereof), any use, modification, reproduction, release, performance, display, disclosure or distribution thereof by or for the U.S. Government shall be governed solely by this License and shall be prohibited except to the extent expressly permitted by this License.



11. Injunctive Relief. You agree that a breach of this License may cause irreparable injury to EA for which monetary damages would not be an adequate remedy and EA shall be entitled to seek equitable relief in addition to any remedies it may have hereunder or at law.



12. Governing Law. This License shall be governed by and construed (without regard to conflicts or choice of law principles) under the laws of the State of California as applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely in California between California residents. Unless expressly waived by EA in writing for the particular instance or contrary to local law, the sole and exclusive jurisdiction and venue for actions related to the subject matter hereof shall be the California state and federal courts having within their jurisdiction the location of EA’s principal place of business. Both parties consent to the jurisdiction of such courts and agree that process may be served in the manner provided herein for giving of notices or otherwise as allowed by California or federal law. The parties agree that the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 1980) shall not apply to this License or to any dispute or transaction arising out of this License.



13. Export. You agree to abide by U.S. and other applicable export control laws and agree not to transfer the Software to a foreign national, or national destination, which is prohibited by such laws, without first obtaining, and then complying with, any requisite government authorization. You certify that you are not a person with whom EA is prohibited from transacting business under applicable law.



14. Third Party Beneficiaries. Notwithstanding anything in this License to the contrary, you hereby acknowledge that EA’s direct and indirect licensors and business partners, including without limitation the Related Parties, are third-party beneficiaries of this License and have the right to bring an action directly against you for a breach of this License to the extent required to enforce their respective rights in and to the Software.



15. Entire Agreement. This License constitutes the entire agreement between you and EA with respect to the Software and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings regarding such subject matter. No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless made in writing and signed by EA. No failure to exercise, and no delay in exercising, on the part of either party, any right or any power hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right or power hereunder preclude further exercise of any other right hereunder. In the event of a conflict between this License and any applicable purchase or other terms, the terms of this License shall govern. Nothing in this Section 16 is intended to supersede or invalidate the Ping0,LLC Hellgate: London Terms of Service (the “TOS”).



16. Massive Technology. The Software incorporates technology of Massive Incorporated ("Massive") that enables in-game advertising, and the display of other similar in-game objects, which are uploaded temporarily to your personal computer or game console and replaced during online game play. As part of this process, Massive may collect your Internet protocol address and other basic anonymous information, and will use this information for the general purposes of transmitting and measuring in-game advertising. Massive does not store or use any of this information for the purpose of discovering your personal identity. For additional details regarding Massive’s in-game advertising practices, and to understand your options with respect to in-game advertising and data collection, please see Massive's privacy policy at http://www.massiveincorporated.com/site_network/privacy.htm. The trademarks and copyrighted material contained in all in-game advertising are the property of the respective owners. Portions of this product are © 2007 Massive Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Moderator's note: EULA contained in spoiler tags to diminish Wall of Text damage.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I back up my games, regardless of whether they have copy protection on them or not. I paid money for the product and I'm not going to pay additional costs for shipping and handling on new discs or, more likely, a new copy. I have a CD wallet with CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R copies of games I've purchased over the years.

Sections of the DMCA making circumvention of copy protection for the purposes of fair use illegal violate previously existing fair use policies. It's my sincere hope that those sections of the DMCA are repealed in the future, since they contradict fair use doctrine. I don't take issue with people backing up their copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 using Alcohol 120%, as long as it is solely for the purposes of backing up.

I don't think law enforcement is going to target the average gamer with copies of the 12 games they purchased in the last 3 years stashed in a CD wallet on a shelf in case the original discs get scratched. They're going to go after the people who are circumventing movie DVD copy protection and distributing movies to large numbers of users online.

I think Valve's done it right with Steam: Require verification for major online titles like Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, allow users to re-download games at no additional cost, and allow users to back up game files to CD or DVD for easy re-install. Steam helps prevent piracy while still providing users to access the games they purchased without penalty and not incurring additional costs (for Valve) associated with customer support.

EA installs rootkits and malware on paying customers' computers. (You don't think that copy of Spore on warez BitTorrent trackers includes DRM, do you?)

Let's face it: If SecuROM was developed by some guy in his garage, it would be considered a virus and law enforcement would be knocking at his door inside a week. But because it's developed by a corporation in the name of "copy protection," they not only don't face penalties by law enforcement, they get paid big money by companies like EA.

It's not an "either-or" situation. Valve has found a solution with Steam. Even EA, a company that is either completely daft or simply blind to what their customers (and employees) want, can see the writing on the wall and has made their games available on Steam. (See, back to the original topic! :))

Don't get me wrong: I think certain sections of EA do great work. I bought Boom Blox for the Wii because I think it's one of the best third-party games available for the console.

But EA is earning a lot of hate from the gaming community in general--and not without reason.
 
The Problem I have with DRM or Steam for that matter is what if I decide I want to play a game 20 years from now? Take Monkey Island a game which I'd like to play again but already can't because of technology limitations (I have nothing that will work with my floppy drives anymore). Now with DRM or online verification basically it becomes impossible to play a game without the manufacturer standing over your shoulder and saying ok. Granted Valve may be in great shape right now but what happens in 20 years? The only consistency I've seen in big companies is that they are continually changing, being bought, sold, merging, getting new management etc. I'm sure if Steam is around long enough someone will get in who will give users the shaft and that's exactly why I want my property in my hands not theirs. Believe me I've heard about several big companies incompetence from my Father who has witnessed things repeatedly first hand.

I am actually kind of annoyed I have to have an internet connection at all to play non-multiplayer games. See for years I didn't have a internet connection and was perfectly happy :/.
 
Well I know you can legally backup your movies if you own the original, games is different, but I agree that you should be able to make a backup copy and play from it, so the original will remain undamaged, there are options which are illegal for us but yet the game companies [ some already do this] could easily make the game playable without a cd/Dvd , these No cd/Dvd cracks are online, but illegal as it alters the original software and therefore puts you in Breach of the EULA, UT 3/UT2K4 had this amongst other games, many companies are starting to incorporate the use of no cd/dvd nessacary for the Multiplayer part of the game, why not all of it? Benefit everyone in my opinion.
EA has a multiple lawsuit against them for thier use of Rootkits in SecuRom [specific versions only].
My Main point about my post above was that everyone needs to read before they click "I AGREE" to install the game/software because the companies take advantage of people not reading those and throw in little details, like the right to gather information from your pc.
I agree that when we purchase a game it should be ours to copy, or do whatever with it, but I doubt it will ever be that way.
 
Well I know you can legally backup your movies if you own the original, games is different, but I agree that you should be able to make a backup copy and play from it, so the original will remain undamaged, there are options which are illegal for us but yet the game companies [ some already do this] could easily make the game playable without a cd/Dvd , these No cd/Dvd cracks are online, but illegal as it alters the original software and therefore puts you in Breach of the EULA, UT 3/UT2K4 had this amongst other games, many companies are starting to incorporate the use of no cd/dvd nessacary for the Multiplayer part of the game, why not all of it? Benefit everyone in my opinion.
EA has a multiple lawsuit against them for thier use of Rootkits in SecuRom [specific versions only].
My Main point about my post above was that everyone needs to read before they click "I AGREE" to install the game/software because the companies take advantage of people not reading those and throw in little details, like the right to gather information from your pc.
I agree that when we purchase a game it should be ours to copy, or do whatever with it, but I doubt it will ever be that way.
negative. circumventing ANY drm(and that includes the useless drm on dvd's) is a federal offense. Tek accurately points out the average Joe right now isn't going to have the feds breaking down the door..unless you start sharing said broken files online.
 
I am actually kind of annoyed I have to have an internet connection at all to play non-multiplayer games. See for years I didn't have a internet connection and was perfectly happy :/.
On Steam, you should be able to play non-multiplayer games without logging into your Steam account. For example, with Mass Effect, I have been able to play it in Offline mode. Look here for more details on Offline mode.

As for what happens when Valve goes under/etc., they have said if that happens they will update the Steam client and the games to allow them to be backed up by users and completely playable without the need of Steam servers. Granted, I am little skeptical about a company keeping their word to a hypothetical situation, but the question has been addressed to them and they have replied to it.

If you really want the least amount of DRM possible, try the Impulse service by Stardock. I have bought games through their online service, and some games they even give you the option to also get a retail copy with your digital download. The interface and service of Impulse is almost as good as Steam in my opinion.

As for old games with no DRM, try GOG.com. They are just starting out, and I have not tried their service personally, but as you can see, there are companies trying to address the PC retro desire as well.

As for Mass Effect on Steam, I can say there is no SecuROM garbage on it, and like I said, I can even play it in Offline mode. That makes it far superior to the retail version in my book. For those who like Bioware/Obsidian/Black Isle-style RPGs, you will probably like Mass Effect a lot. I am really impressed with its detailed and cohesive sci-fi universe, the dialog writing, and the graphics (best UE3 game I have seen on my PC). Note to the Gerbil: Sorry for not replying to your inquiry, I was asleep and left the game on.

There are some technical issues with Mass Effect, though there are workarounds. There seems to be some major Nvidia video card driver issues with the game that result in random crashes. The workaround that seems to work for nearly everyone, including myself, is to remove the PhysX drivers and software, and go to Forceware version 175.19. Once I have done that, the game has been rock solid.

There is also some bugs with the sound card code in Mass Effect. The workaround is disable hardware sound in the game, and force your sound card to only Basic Acceleration instead of full hardware acceleration. Changing acceleration can be done with running dxdiag.

Finally, the Bring Down the Sky DLC for Mass Effect in Steam is being addressed by the team. Derek French of Bioware on their forums has said the team is working on getting that incorporated in the Steam release.

The next EA game I am looking forward to is Red Alert 3, mainly because some friends of mine are bugging me to try a Red Alert game.
 
negative. circumventing ANY drm(and that includes the useless drm on dvd's) is a federal offense. Tek accurately points out the average Joe right now isn't going to have the feds breaking down the door..unless you start sharing said broken files online.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5128652-1.html

The Law Varies from States to State and country to country So Once again READ BEFORE DOING [ because when they jail you you can't say that BlackBeard said it was ok, don't mean nothing], In Germany you are Legaly allowed to make 1 backup copy of your OWNED Movie and Said copy may be used by any Family member,most states/Countries alow a copy but only if it is not encrypted[which there are dvd's/Cd's not encrypted] So NO I did not say wrong info, its just everybody forgets I live in Germany, and this goes along with a DRM, its mine and I should be able to do what I want with it, or not, Hmmm, Only the Law is correct and that changes on a regular basis, I apparantly stirred up a nest and my only intention was to make guys/Gals aware of what they were signing.:eek:



8. Is it Legal to Make a DCD Replication or CD Replication?
This is perhaps the most-asked question regarding CD duplication and DVD duplication. People want to know if they are straying onto the wrong side of the law by making a copy of music or movies onto a CD-ROM or other storage disc. It may be legal for you to make a copy of a movie or song, depending on what your intent for the copy is after you have made it. For example, let's say that you make a copy of a CD you already own because you want to have one for your car, and one for the home. Since you are making a copy of the album or songs in question for your own personal use, this would be legal. You have done nothing wrong since you already owned a copy of the music and simply made a copy for yourself.

On the flip side, if you make the copy then give it to a neighbor, then that is usually illegal. It is definitely illegal if you were to charge your neighbor for the copy. Even if you don't charge her for the copy, you still were a part of the distribution process for the copy, which is against the law. If you make a duplicated of any copyrighted material (including movies and songs) and either sell or distribute them, then you are doing something that is illegal. You can only make copies for your own personal use.

If you obtained your copy of the music or movie from an illegal source, it is also illegal. Some illegal sources include other burned copies, P2P (person to person) file sharing networks, and bit torrents, to name a few. Distribution or sale of illegally-obtained copyrighted material is a crime as well.


Billosaur writes "In what can only be seen as the opening salvo in an attempt to control what users can do with content, the German parliament has approved a controversial copyright law which will make it illegal to make copies of CDs and DVDs, even for personal use. The Bundesrat, the upper part of the German parliament, approved the legislation over the objections of consumer protection groups. The law is set to take effect in 2008, and covers CDs, DVDs, recordings from IPTV, and TV recordings."

DVD fair use copying overturned in France

Last April's ruling in France that required removal of DRM preventing personal copying from DVDs has been overturned by France's highest court. See press reports here and here. Via DRM Watch blog.

There are many such things in the Internet, from the NY Times to the Washington Post, ALL agree that its Illegal to hand out copies of a DVD/Cd thats been legally purchased in America, but I said Personal use and most agree that its ok, but its still a chance and a Very expensive fine in the US if Caught!! So If you are copying Movies then Beware as it a confusing subject;)

Besides HCS, I said it was illegal to circumvent the DRM, I just said it was ok for some gaming companies to do it And I did not say ANYTHING about sharing Files, That is a one way ticket to JAIL.
 
Last edited:
On Steam, you should be able to play non-multiplayer games without logging into your Steam account. For example, with Mass Effect, I have been able to play it in Offline mode. Look here for more details on Offline mode.

Yeah I knew about offline mode and use it but you still have to have an online conection to get it working to start with. It's not really relevent with me anymore because I need a connection now for other things but thanks anyway. I only mentioned it because It is possible a person does not want an internet connection but it's just tough luck if you want to do anything nowadays. The philosophy of making software has changed completely partially due to complexity but also due to greed IMO. Sure old software sometimes needed a bug patched but nowadays some companies seem to release software knowing full well it's incomplete or bug ridden and rely on internet updates to fix it later. It's like getting your consumers to do your last round of beta testing at their expense.

As for what happens when Valve goes under/etc., they have said if that happens they will update the Steam client and the games to allow them to be backed up by users and completely playable without the need of Steam servers. Granted, I am little skeptical about a company keeping their word to a hypothetical situation, but the question has been addressed to them and they have replied to it.

I am assuming that Valve will be gracious enough to update the client before they go under otherwise who is going to run the servers to provide it O.o. It is nice they actually replied to it though.

Note to the Gerbil: Sorry for not replying to your inquiry, I was asleep and left the game on.

I figured as much either that or you are a gaming MACHINE! :p

As for old games with no DRM, try GOG.com. They are just starting out, and I have not tried their service personally, but as you can see, there are companies trying to address the PC retro desire as well.

Cool. I would hate to shell out money for what I already have though. I just need to patch together an old computer so I can get them off the floppies. Then attempt to run them via Dos Box. (and hope they have not degaussed or something XD )
 
Back
Top