Druid help/guide

Hey all-

A few people had a mini convo in guild chat that I had to leave, but it was about how to play a druid while leveling up (and probably just in general). I am having a hard time with it.

If it's just one mob around my lvl, I'm fine to just prowl up behind it and unleash kitty action, but if the mob is too high or I pull more than, say, two, I can't handle it, but apparently I should be able to. And I'm just wondering what to do in that situation. Bear form seems obvious for multiple mobs, but it never seems that I can take them down fast enough with swipe/claw before their damage makes up for my extra armor.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, so I wondered if any of you had advice or could point me to a guide on what to do for different situations besides the obvious single-mob kitty crazyness. Thanks!

-Chadley

I had a lot of the same struggles you did. The kinds of things that skilled druids could do I seemed to die doing.

But things that seemed to help my survivability were:
1) Having specced resto meant it took forever for me to take down a mob, but made me very survivable. A common pattern would be bear form whack whack whack until I was at about 50% health, frenzied regeneration, then whack whack whack until I was at about 50% again, then shapeshift out, heal, shapeshift back to bear, whack whack whack, rinse, repeat. The speccing resto gives nature' swiftness eventually which was just a clutch "emergency heal" that worked especially well in those situations
2) Don't forget to use your rooting abilities. While pretty much no named elites can be rooted, other mobs and elites can be. This helps to either turn a 2 on 1 fight into a 1 on 1 fight, or it lets you range-attack a tough elite mob with spells while they can't do anything against you.
3) Another good multi-mob technique is barkskin-hurricane.

Now I can't remember which of the above involve talents or spells that you don't get until higher levels, and which you can start doing pretty early on. But part of making the tougher fights work is to not just depend on one given form but instead to (carefully) combine the abilities of the different forms to help with crowd control, healing, etc.

the key with leveling feral and pulling multiple mobs and surviving is to realize when you are in danger EARLY.

so say if I go in to grab a mob with cat form and didn't see 2 other mobs next to me, now i have 3 of them on me at the same time, as soon as you see that, shift to bear form, queue up maul non-stop and spam swipe; i know it doesn't do much damage, but the key is with bear form, unless their is a caster, you won't die as long as you pop out to heal yourself EARLY.

utilize bark skin+roots is also another thing you can do, and don't forget to heal yourself, pots, rejuv, etc.

later on as you get better gear and better skills(mangle), taking on 2 mobs in cat form becomes very easy, and taking on 3-4 mobs in bear form without healing yourself becomes possible too.

In the end, if you can't fight, you can always travel form and run =)

be encouraged...you will get much stronger once you get mangle! then lvling up as a cat will go much quicker. some classes early on are weaker it seems, or at least slower killers....and druids are that early but hang in there, later you will rock!

one thing i find useful is the track humanoid skill, it allowed me to steer away from hordes (or set up ganks) whenever I wish. use it well whether you enjoy or dislike pvp.

in general the chance of getting ganked on a feral druid is very low, because as soon as you see a humanoid target, you can do /tar (name) to check whether hes alliance or horde, then decide what you want to do.

feral druid definitely gets more fun as you level up.

Thanks for the help so far all! I'm definitely going to stick it out, I just worry that I'm doing something wrong. And I definitely don't have a handle on bear form. Now I've run into another problem of whether to keep leveling my nelf or bring over my tauren! He's lvl 38, so almost the exact same.

two things that helped me while leveling:

a liberal use of shadowmeld - it's like a poor man's vanish

leveling up herbalism as high as i could - that clickky heal is sick while levelling

Oh good, I've been doing both of those things! Between Regrowth, the herb spell and bandages, I pretty much never run out of mana :D Also, FFF is flipping amazing. That's something I didn't have last time I was trying to play a druid, and now I'd have to do something stupid to over-pull. And I'm 2 emblems, 25 champion seals, and 50 shards away from heirloom items!

Back