• Hype is right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's going to be bigger!

• I'll wait for the demo and see

• Total voters

Shagz

Doom 3 is almost here and I'm sure many are gearing up for it...literally. Time to upgrade your rack with some new bells and whistles, but will it be worth it?

Personally, I'm very disappointed in the multiplayer options. I guess I'm starting to get sick and tired of the standards - DM, Last Man Standing. I'm not even sure there's a CTF option this time out, and player load outs are limited. (I guess due to the amount of polys that each character and weapon represents?) Sure, there will be mods, but after the obscene amount of content and game types that Epic/DE gave us with UT2004, it's hard to see the value in a retro-styled (although very good looking retro-styled) single player campaign and so few multiplayer options.

/me patiently awaits the demo to see if it will blow up my video card

What disappointed me about Doom 3 is, they took off the marine's helmet!.
mad.gif

So, when it comes out, you can see how does the marine look like......
rock.gif

BTW, read about the multiplayer (at least what this magazine saw): DM, TDM, Tournament and Last Man Standing (which, strangely enough, are all variations of DM
rock.gif
) are your gaming options with only 4 players on in a go. I guess they're expecting the mod community to make their game worth the money you'll spend on it?

Having grown up on Doom and Doom II, I was very excited to hear about Doom 3, but now, I'm not so sure. Besides the whole horror-movie theme, of which I am not enthusiastic, the lack of multiplayer options is crippling. However, all it would take is one good multiplayer mod, and I'd gladly shell out the cash for it.

Certainly not worth the money. Let's see, same story as before, basically same game, other games coming out shortly after that are cheaper and better graphics, and horrible multiplayer options... That's a no-brainer! I don't care who makes it or what the name is, if it sucks I am not getting it.

re: the avatar....hehehehe

re: pricing....retail up here in Canada is about $69.99 CDN. That's a little on the high end but not by much. I think I got UT2004 on opening day for something like $55-$60.

Wow! I got UT2K4 Platinum (or collector's edition or whatever it's called) for $30 at Best Buy the day it came out...shoulda had me get you one!

$30 US = $39.74 CDN + shipping...hmmm, *might* have worked out to be the same. But alas, I don't have a DVD-Rom on my PC...

I wonder how well Doom will hold up with only 4 player multiplayer...
Just found this on another site heh.
Rick Ellis speaking about Source engine
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] The code supports up to 256 players, however, realistically with bandwidth issues you might only be able to get away with 64.

New games in Oz $90 if they are cheap. SOme are over $100. Ut2k4 just dropped to $69.

I did some reading on Doom3. They have done a lot of work with the sound. 6 speaker stuff. they are really working on the scariest game ever, angle. (I thought aliens verses predator was pretty hair raising in it's day!!)

The muliplayer will support up to 8 players on LAN, but will need a dedicated server. Pretty high specs. they are also still deliberating on what hardware is necessary.....

May be a while before it really sets off.

Did someone mention HL2

oooohhhhh Baby.

sealcomm

TRON 2.0 had 4 person multiplayer and it was never popular. Good game, but the multiplayer is what keeps a game going. Never more than 20 servers for TRON, and most of them are empty.

I really wanted to like Tron - visually, it was so authentic to the movie, it was like I was a kid all over again. BTW, rent the Tron 20th Anniversary DVD and check out the specials on how they made the movie. All the compositing (putting actors into matte paintings and ALL scenes which featured a glowing character) were animated and cut out BY HAND!!

I digress...really wanted to like the game but the multiplayer demos I played were weak. Single player was fun (disc fighting was so cool) but derivative (hack this box, find the access key, get through the door, etc) At least that's what I got from the demos...

Back to Doom...that's cool that the code will support 64 players. The question is, can the server handle that many players and the client computers handle the rendering of that many polys?

As for 4 player multiplayer...I think it will make for a more tense game, but a lot of full servers. Tense because I think there will be a lot more hiding in the shadows, listening for footsteps, sneak attack stuff, which is sort've inline with their "scare the pants off you" single player direction. But will players brought up on years of Q3-style dming go for it?

Regardless, I think the game will sell well enough and will have enough interest in it that multiplayer will survive. Whether it has the staying power or not remains to be seen.

No Source is not the Doom Engine Source is the Half Life 2 Engine, Half Life 2 is the game out of the gate that can support 64+ users... Doom at default will only hold 4 but they have stated people "may" be able to mod it to play more.

I cannot see anyway that the Doom 3 multiplayer will be very popular unless they include some awesome Co-Op mode that they have allready stated is only going to be included on the X-Box Version (Talk about alienating your customers...)
I mean four players pretty much eliminates any kind of clan or teams so their goes all the leagues, it also forces you to have very small maps if you wish to have fun. It just seems to have to many things going against it for me though I imagine the single player is going to be great.

Useful links...

Hard|OCP Doom 3 Hardware Guide
Peeps have Doom already and are posting screen shots. Pretty dark, but I think that's the point (scare, scare, scare)

I think somebody made a comment about Aliens vs Predator earlier, about it being scarey. I dl'd the demo when it came out, started the marine mission. I played for about 5 mins before I had to uninstall it - I was way too tense!
wow.gif
I didn't even run into any aliens yet, I was just running around trying to find out where to go, but the atmosphere had me turning and jumping at every little thing. I can only imagine Doom being 10 times as scarey...<shiver>

I'm leaving now to pick up my copy of DIII.

It better be good. Nostalgia rarely comes in such a weird package, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll post what happens when I get back in an hour or so.

Back