Doom

<span id='ME'><center>rizz sees the geekometer raise a few bars</center></span>

i played doom3.. my spirit didnt sit right with it so got rid of it..

I played doom 3... it was as I expected. Nothing more than a feable attempt by ID to make a game... again.

You know what I always liked about Doom games?

Not necessarily the games themselves, but the technology behind them. They make a fantastic engine that other great games can build on.

So don't knock it TOO much.

You're kidding me...
rock.gif

...sad...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You're kidding me...
rock.gif

...sad...
The board game is sad?

re: geekometer...yea, it's pretty high with this one, but I'm a big fan of strategic board games and board games in general. If you can get past the pentegrams and the refrences to hell, this looks like a pretty cool board game. The game mechanics are really interesting (one player plays the monsters while 1-3 players play co-op marines), sort've part RPG, part Warhammer/Space Hulk. The developer has also promised additional scenarios for download from their site as well as expantion rules for playing DM and CTF game modes. Why you would play a board game instead of doing the real thing on a computer is the question though. Have to wait and see what the reviews say...

re: Doom the video game...I played the demo, and while initially I was pretty skeptical and ready to dismiss it as just a tech demonstration, I played through it with the lights off and had the wits scared out of me.
smile.gif
It definitely had great atmosphere and was totally tense, but after a while you realize that it's all scripted events. Playing a level for the first time would be great, but after that there's no replay value because you know all the cues.

biggrin.gif

The figurines look really good too...

If you're not into the Doom thing, they *did* make a Warcraft board game as well (same company).

The game or the boardgame? Because if it's the game you're refering to...I'm sorry sir but you are out of your mind.

I borrowed warcraft 3 for a little while, and I LOVED the cutscenes and story and art direction, but RTS isn't really my thing. Maybe if I gave it a little more time.

rizz, thats kinda funny... i played about 4-5 hours and had the same feeling.. unistalled and sent it back.

its just too... demonic i guess. *shrug*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (exodus @ Oct. 27 2004,11:59)]rizz, thats kinda funny... i played about 4-5 hours and had the same feeling.. unistalled and sent it back.

its just too... demonic i guess. *shrug*
Heh. Funny you guys mention it. I had the same reaction when I tried it out. So I stopped playing and uninstalled it.

And this is coming from a certifiable Doom 2 fanatic. Elihu and I played through hundreds, if not thousands, of custom levels for Doom 2 in co-op mode.

I've still got Doom 3 installed because I like to play the MP occasionally, but I felt the same way about the single player campaign. Too anti-Christian.

And I grew up on Doom and Quake. Doom was the second video game I ever remember playing. And, I do remember Elihu and Tek being Doom II nuts back in the day.

The boardgame looks cool, but I don't think I could find anyone to play with me.

re: no other players for board games...That's the problem with board games in general, but fortunately I've found a few people who are in on it and every once in a while I can convince my Risk buddies to try something different. ;)

Back