Doom III & Satanic Symbols

As much as i didnt want to dignify that with any response i darent let that be the ending comment in this thread.

The symbols themselves cannot harm you. But they are a representation of the forces we are opposed to. If a British or American paratrooper wore a swastika in WW2 i think there would have been a few eyebrows raised. Yet the symbol itself is not harmful.

That aside.. I have had a nasty experience with this and the imagery and atmosphere of Q3 was one of many factors in a very bad time for me. So you are insulting me when you say they have no purpose. Maybe they dopnt for you. But then again maybe you should look up naive in the dictionary.

I suggest you let this drop, out of respect for those who actually tried to put some sound comments in this thread and prevent yourself from looking any more silly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tek7 @ Aug. 04 2004,8:04)]A group of people spend years of their life coding the most advanced graphics engine (thus far) and what content do they use for their game? Satanic symbols, occult overtones, and scenes of explicit violence. Sure, let me paint this new    y Lamborghini in pink polka dots. Makes sense.

gg id. Methinks I'll stick with UT2004 for now--with violence turned waaay down.
Very good analogy!  I agree with you all the way, Tek  
cool.gif

But then again, doesnt UT2004 have symbols too?

UT2004 doesn't have it in any of the maps, of of the team symbols has a grim reaper with a pentagram necklace. I am not spending any money on Doom 3 because of the symbols ID toss in their games

Sound comments?
Look more silly?
Its a game, I wonder if any American paratroopers have played Battlefeild and played as a german.
Its no different than wolfinstine.

Christnity vs. CS by u rizz
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
As Christians it is our main objective to do all things for the glory of god (1 Corinthians 10:31). So in this whatever we do we should aim to fulfil the purpose of God which is to go into the world and tell everyone about him and the Gospel (mark 16:15).

The purpose of the Tribe of Judah is to represent Christ in the gaming arena. It says in the bible we should be all things to all people if it will save a mans soul (1 Corinthians 9:22). People have an outdated idea of what is acceptable as a Christian. Jesus himself went among the outcasts and the sick so he could help and teach them. For how can you teach someone who already knows what you know. The tribe of Judah aim to reach people who would not necessarily otherwise be reached with the Truth of Jesus Christ.

As for justifying the killing in a game like Counter-Strike. Firstly it is just a game. At no point do I have any desire to physically kill the person who constitutes the opponent in the game. However the motive for playing a game like that is what is important. I personally play it for the community that is there and to represent Christ to people in a manner they will understand. If someone gets too involved in the game then there would be grounds to say that it is not right to play it. Such a thing happened to me with Quake3. The objective is to play it with the right motivation and to have the right heart at all times when playing it.

But it is a matter of personal preference as to the appropriateness of these games and their relation to the individual Christian, and as such is a matter left between that individual and God (1 Cor 10:23-26). In any area that is not specifically outlined in the bible there can be no set rules. We can not apply Old Testament ruling to something that is not governed by it. There are many areas where Christians could have varying views on something but none are wrong. An example of this is that some people may find watching certain movies acceptable while others would not. The point is not whether or not is is OK to do it, but if it is helpful to do it. Once again the attitude towards it is the key. We as Christians are in relationship with God and so are under his guidance. If there is a problem with something we are doing we trust that his Holy Spirit will indicate it to us (2 timothy 1:14).

So in conclusion. If you are not a Christian and are wondering about the hypocrisy of Christians playing games. It can be seen that it is not wrong for a Christian to play a game with killing in. Provided it doesn't make him want to kill anyone in real life. If the heart and attitude is correct then it is for the Christian and God to sort out. If you are a Christian and have been wondering if it is right to play these types of games. Search yourself. Check why you are doing it. If you are a leader of other Christians examine the example you set with it. For even if it is right for you to do, it may not be right for them. An example of this is, I have no problem with the odd drink. However I now do not drink because I know youth could see me doing that and think it is ok to drink. And they might not have the same boundaries, control or attitude. In short, if you seek God he will show you what is acceptable.

Same as CS and killing, it is just a game. There is nothing wrong with playing a
GAME with non christian symbols in it, as long as he doesn't get to involved with the game. No different than D&D, or Magic. Play it have fun just don't take it to seriously.:)

Oh and I've seen a Ferarri painted with stars all over the body, in a rap video and it looked hot. It depends on how and who did the paint job.:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]na·ive or na·ïve Audio pronunciation of "naive" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-v, nä-) also na·if or na·ïf (n-f, nä)
adj.

1. Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
1. Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
2. Unsuspecting or credulous: “Students, often bright but naive, betand losesubstantial sums of money on sporting events” (Tim Layden).
2. Showing or characterized by a lack of sophistication and critical judgment: “this extravagance of metaphors, with its naive bombast” (H.L. Mencken).
1. Not previously subjected to experiments: testing naive mice.
2. Not having previously taken or received a particular drug: persons naive to marijuana.

n.

One who is artless, credulous, or uncritical.

Perhaps if you read that instead of just quoting it.....

Ah i cant be bothered... do what you like.

I'm a big time gamer and would like to play the game just because its graphics quality alone!! But I feel like God is saying to me let this one go. This time I'm gonna try to obey. Pray that I don't let myself or others "talk" me into it.

I admire you FFD
smile.gif

It's certainly not easy to turn down such a popular and intense game. Good luck.

im not here to tell anyone what to do, if you are compelled not to play it, then thats your choice, if you are going to or want to play, it thats also your choice,

i am playing it. i am a far distance into the game and yes, it does contain pentagrams and tribalesque symbols. there is a massive amount of gore, and lots of violence.

case in point, those things dont really have an impact on me. i have no desire to worship satan, i have no desire to kill people, and i dont stay awake at night feeling like a demon is gonna jump outta my closet and throw a fireball at me.

i enjoy the game, because it is, a game. it scares the crap outta me at times because that is what its made to do, to hvae things pop out at you, to make you wonder whats around the next corner. thats half the fun! its like watching a scary movie.

now all the symbols and gore aside. the game is well made, the graphics are beautiful, even on the lowest setting (thats what i hvae them on because i had to put my old 1ghz processor in when my amd 2500 fried.) the play control is intuitive and easy to use. the interface for interaction with objects in the game is well done. i really like that there is no use key, when you approach a touch screen, your gun lowers and a mouse arrow shows up on the screen allowing you to select different things as if your using the computer and what not. the weapons are very well done, they are all of different power and type.

the game is not easy due to the low amounts of ammo and health laying around. makes you pick your shots and stay away from enemies.

yes there are "sataninc symbols" such as the pentagram, but they are not shown as being at all good. (from another thread on doom someone mentioned that before medieval times the pentagram was actually a christian symbol representing the five wounds of christ, but after the cross was adopted, some said that the pentagram was evil, so it was noted to be such.) i found that intersting.

it basically comes down to personal preference. if you feel that this game is evil and you dont play it. thats your call, same goes for those that do play it.

personally, i am enjoying the game. its one of the better ones that ive played.

thats my rant on the topic.

I haven't played Doom 3.  I'm gonna buy it today as it comes out in England in... 25 minutes
biggrin.gif

Anyway, to compare the Satanic Symbol thing... I bought Painkiller recently.  Fun game, I love the physics when you shoot you're Mortal-Kombat-Scorpion style primary weapon at them.  "Get over here!"
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, I really enjoyed it... but I just noticed the Satanic Symbols far too much.  It made me uncomfortable.  I tried playing again... and didn't get to the second level before I just felt that I shouldn't be.

Doom 3 seems less serious about the whole Satanic thing, I heard about some comments on the PDAs regarding openning a hell portal... kinda funny.

If I don't like it, then it's just a game in the collection.  If I do like it (And my PC can run it... dang RAM) :) Then I'll be playing it.

Here are a few things to keep in mind...

The "pentagrams" that are in the game are not your average, run of the mill upside down pentagrams. They are designed in a way to evoke the IDEA of a pentagram, but they are also designed so as not to be an easily recognizable symbole. I hope that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is that if you were to look at a satanic website, those pentagrams you would obviously see are NOT the kind you would find in Doom 3.

At no point in the game does it infer or imply that the "hell" in the game is the hell of the Christian Bible. There are no refernces anywhere about Satan or fallen angels. The term "hell" used in the game is merely descriptive. Ask a Vietnam veteran what war was like in the jungle and I'm sure the term "hell" would come up. Does that mean he's referring to the hell of the bible? Of course not, it's descriptive. Not to give too much away for those that are going to play the game, but the creatures in the game are "aliens", with a high tolerance to heat. They come from a place full of fire and gore. Now how would you define that as a soldier or scientist? Hmm...how about HELL?

I just wanted to clarify a few things so everyone knows exactly what is in the game and isn't making assumptions.

I have played the game myself, and yes, you are correct. But are we really wrong to make those assumptions, given the character and history of Carmack and id software?

Also, the game doesn't have any intelligence of its own, so it cannot infer anything.

you are in all essence fighting against hell. its refered to as hell, you even get to travel there and fight. the creatures are called demons if you get far enough along youll learn that from some of the pda's.

as far as the comments about the pentagrams go, they are very elaborate and detailed unlike the normal star and circle.

and to the dude in england, dont waste your money if symbols like that get to you. the later levels would probly make you throw up.

i just finished the game this afternoon. i dont wanna say a whole lot about it cuz i dont wanna spoil it for anyone that does want to play it.

after playing the whole thing, i think i might play it through again just to find things i missed.

on a side note, i think this would make an awesome movie.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*AKA*Jester @ Aug. 13 2004,5:37)]and to the dude in england, dont waste your money if symbols like that get to you.  the later levels would probly make you throw up.  

on a side note, i think this would make an awesome movie.
It's not just the symbols, it was the sense that you were on the side of those symbols, and there wasn't really a sense of a good story.  It was sorta "Shoot some stuff and run through some pentagrams while pretending to be on God's side, lather, rinse, repeat".

Doom 3 is "Story"

On a side note, there is a movie on the way.

Here's and easy thing to do since this is going on and on. If u want to play it play it, if u don't, don't. And everyone's happy. And don't tell people who play it not to play it. And don't tell people who don't want ot play it to play it. People have the right to play or not play it. Its up to the person.
Me I want to play it.:)

Thats my second rant for the week:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*AKA*Jester @ Aug. 13 2004,6:41)]you dont ever have the sense that you are on the side of the symbols, i dont know where you get that from
In Painkiller? YOU use them to save, YOU use them to finish the level, it's the symbol on the level selection screen.

I was talking about Painkiller :)

And I started Doom 3 an hour and a half ago. It rocks, but I need more RAM :)

Plus... it rocks. Scary in the best ways possible :)

Back