Doing a WoW Trial

Jawsofwar

And find WoW nowhere near as good as Guild Wars. Its just too slow and the combat is boring. I had alot more fun doing the LOTRO beta. So if I wanted to do a pay by the month MMORPG it would be LOTRO. One plus on WoW though is the interface. But seems like it would be grinding game from what I am getting so far in the trial. Only Grind in GW is capping all those skills for pvp.

And find WoW nowhere near as good as Guild Wars. Its just too slow and the combat is boring. I had alot more fun doing the LOTRO beta. So if I wanted to do a pay by the month MMORPG it would be LOTRO. One plus on WoW though is the interface. But seems like it would be grinding game from what I am getting so far in the trial. Only Grind in GW is capping all those skills for pvp.

WoW won't really be fun till post level 20 with most classes. I've actually been playing less GW and more WoW lately. I've got a 51 Druid and he's a lot of fun to play. It also helps to be in a close knit guild, my guild consists of a bunch of my friends from school. It's a lot of fun because we can run an instance then all go out to grab a drink or a bite to eat afterwards and enjoy each others company. Believe me, I hated it when I first started, very boring early content. The game really shines post 50, once you hit 58 and are able to explore outland(the expansion). All the end game content like the dungeons, raids, arena and pvp are all a lot of fun. Plus with the latest patch, theres an instance for a 25 man raid group to go take down Illidan himself.

As for LOTRO... Eww. I played during closed beta and have toyed around with it post release on a friends account. Talk about a boring game.

Haha so dauntless you play both GW and WoW? amazing... That is what I will start doing (most likely) come this summer..... unless when i get proph and eye of the north i get so sucked in that i have no time for anything but.... Either way. Once i get bored of GW, i will switch between the two.... seeing as the leader of the Forgiven Clan is my uncle :)

I didn't really enjoy WoW when my best friend let me play on her account. Sure, kinda running around was fun, but the quests (and nearly everything else) was not much fun. I have been told that it's a blast at higher levels...but I have no desire to grit my teeth and force myself to play, even if it IS on someone else's account that I'm not paying for.

One fun thing: running around randomly throwing a blessing on people. :) It was like giving total strangers gifts for Christmas. Surprise gifts. Seriously, I did more of that than actually play.

I really, really hated waiting for more of a particular monster or whatever to spawn, so that I and five other people could kill enough to get however many of whatever item we HAD to have to complete the quest we really needed to do.

But they must be doing something right; it's so popular.

Guess GW spoiled me on how fast-paced everything is. I do like how in LOTRO and WoW how the world is designed. GW is not that fun to just explore in.

Ok I seem to have totally messed up the WoW application it won't let me launch the application or delete it? This happened shortly after I canceled an update that was in progress. I can't find out how to redo the update either.

Ok I seem to have totally messed up the WoW application it won't let me launch the application or delete it? This happened shortly after I canceled an update that was in progress. I can't find out how to redo the update either.

The update should automatically continue next time you launch WoW. If not, this is the beauty of WoW, like GW it does not depend on registry entries to run. That being said, you can simply delete the World of Warcraft folder from your computer and delete your shortcuts. Then go to Add or Remove Programs and try to remove it. It should tell you it appears to be missing and will ask you if it should be removed from the list. It should be gone. If you would prefer to go the safer route, go to worldofwarcraft.com and download the patch manually from one of their web based download servers. Once it downloads, install the patch then try to uninstall.

Lol Raven. Thats my thought exactly.

My friend across the street has WoW. I watched him play and played when he went to the bathroom for like a min. Didnt like watching it, or playing it (even for the 45 seconds). I guess the thing that really pushes me away from WoW is the
A) Monthly Fee
B) Running everyone, not like GW where you can teleport
C) the insane time it take to lvl.

thats about it tho. i do really like the idea of "Raid" even though i dont really know what it is. I am looking forward to GW2 tho. Sounds like the best of GW (which is all of it ;)) and the best of WoW. Plus some.

I've wanted to try that game, but there are also REALLY bad things I have heard about that game.....bad enough to keep me away from it.
Also, why pay money month after month for something you've already bought? You know what that does? It creates urgency, urgency to get as much as you can before that month is over, then it's over. You say "ok, 15 bucks aint that bad" then a whole year goes by, you have just spent $180 bucks on something you didnt REALLY need. *shrugs* I don't know, I just always think of stuff that way. That's why I like GW so much. You dont have to pay ANYMORE after you BUY the game.

I've wanted to try that game, but there are also REALLY bad things I have heard about that game.....bad enough to keep me away from it.

Like what?

You say "ok, 15 bucks aint that bad" then a whole year goes by, you have just spent $180 bucks on something you didnt REALLY need. *shrugs* I don't know, I just always think of stuff that way. That's why I like GW so much. You dont have to pay ANYMORE after you BUY the game.

Well I bought at least 2 50 dollar games last year, a 20 dollar one, a 30 dollar one.. that's just 30 dollars short of WoW's fees... that and I pay 5 dollars a month for RuneScape membership (go ahead and make fun of me, it's not going to be for much longer), which I've done for two years now, so an extra 60 dollars a year... if I stopped buying games and just played WoW, I'd actually be saving 30 dollars, lol. Touche'.

Like what?
My dad's business parter's neice is about 12 and she met a couple guys on that game, she was home alone once and well....the parents came home to two guys sitting around a tv with the their daughter passed out on the couch. He also told me the main way they communicate is through this game.

Well I bought at least 2 50 dollar games last year, a 20 dollar one, a 30 dollar one.. that's just 30 dollars short of WoW's fees... that and I pay 5 dollars a month for RuneScape membership (go ahead and make fun of me, it's not going to be for much longer), which I've done for two years now, so an extra 60 dollars a year... if I stopped buying games and just played WoW, I'd actually be saving 30 dollars, lol. Touche'

Ok, but if you were to do that AND pay for WoW you would be paying almost TWICE as much if you were to not pay for WoW. This is what most gamers do. That's why I just think there are other things you can spend that 160 bucks on. Also, Blizzard could EASILY make WoW free every month, what with all the money they rake in from all of the players playing the game.
Not to mention that you start to get entranced by it. It's like a drug.
You start to not do ANYTHING besides it. My friends brother tsays in his room and plays video games for as long of time there is between his college and job. Other than that my friend says he barely comes out for dinner. So because of that I urge whoever started this topic to NOT buy WoW.
It's just another thing ot spend money on that you dont really need.

My dad's business parter's neice is about 12 and she met a couple guys on that game, she was home alone once and well....the parents came home to two guys sitting around a tv with the their daughter passed out on the couch. He also told me the main way they communicate is through this game.
That was irresponsibility and lack of knowledge of the internet on the daughter's part.

Ok, but if you were to do that AND pay for WoW you would be paying almost TWICE as much if you were to not pay for WoW.
That's the thing. I'm not going to buy very many more games to start with (not because I'd get WoW) so I wouldn't be paying for WoW.

Not to mention that you start to get entranced by it. It's like a drug.
You start to not do ANYTHING besides it. My friends brother tsays in his room and plays video games for as long of time there is between his college and job. Other than that my friend says he barely comes out for dinner. So because of that I urge whoever started this topic to NOT buy WoW.
It's just another thing ot spend money on that you dont really need.
That totally depends on the person. For someone like me, it wouldn't be that much of a threat. That's probably a danger of any game where time is required. I mean, that guy in Korea that died from playing 3-4 days of StarCraft or whatever it was without taking a break. So I wouldn't discourage ANYONE from playing it if you know yourself and set limits--if you need them.

That was irresponsibility and lack of knowledge of the internet on the daughter's part.
Oh no, ths is a common COMMON mistake, there are MANY kids out there who just want to be friends everybody, it's not their fault, the parents are the ones who are at fault here.

That totally depends on the person. For someone like me, it wouldn't be that much of a threat. That's probably a danger of any game where time is required. I mean, that guy in Korea that died from playing 3-4 days of StarCraft or whatever it was without taking a break. So I wouldn't discourage ANYONE from playing it if you know yourself and set limits--if you need them.
Limits only go so far, it's human to keep going back for more....like when you set limits things are going pretty smooth but then the next time your limit (or amount of time) is up you say "Oh, well it's ok if I go a little bit over my time.." Then next time you think "Last time I went over and it didnt do anything to me, it's ok if I go a bit more over." Then, boy howdy, by the next few months your playing, not having ANY limit at all.

Oh no, ths is a common COMMON mistake, there are MANY kids out there who just want to be friends everybody, it's not their fault, the parents are the ones who are at fault here.

Exactly. Don't blame WoW. This could happen in ANY online game, even our very own GW. What it boils down to is irresponsible parenting. If the parent isn't able to monitor their child while they are online, they should block their child from accessing the internet . Simple as that.

If the parents instruct them in web safety... no problem.

Limits only go so far, it's human to keep going back for more....like when you set limits things are going pretty smooth but then the next time your limit (or amount of time) is up you say "Oh, well it's ok if I go a little bit over my time.." Then next time you think "Last time I went over and it didnt do anything to me, it's ok if I go a bit more over." Then, boy howdy, by the next few months your playing, not having ANY limit at all.

That's a hypothetical situation without any real backup. It could be that way for you, but a lot of people don't even have that problem.

I think it depends on the person and how they were raised and what their current lifestyle is like. A person who is active in a church or other community event, like sports or whatnot, then they wont have as much time to play Online. If a person is a person who was raised and taught to always be working then they will be lest apt to sit on their bum for 10 hrs straight. If a person is just naturally a bored person and can sit on their bum for 10 hrs then they will be more likely to not have limits.

But as always people have changed. I myself has been in that same situation "well i can go a little bit over my time" but thanks to my parents they have gotten a little stricter on my time and i have grown more mature.

About the little girl, i think both her and the parents are at fault. I know children have a instinct to make friends with everyone but she is no little girl. It is common sense not to invite two strangers over to her house alone, unless she knew who they were like and what they were going to do. Also the parents should probably not have left her alone and should have told her about online safty. They also should have monitored what people she is talking too.

The way WoW is designed it will always be more addictive than GW. Wow depends on a mountly fee for income. This means that they really need to keep people playing. If people get bored with the game WoW losses money. The more time people spend playing the game the more money WoW makes. GW on the other hand has to be fun so you will buy the next chapter however, it make no difference to the staff at GW if you play once a year or once a day. They aim to make a good game, but it doesn't need to keep you glued to the screen for hours. However, i have never played the game myself so i can't pass too many judgments. I am just saying this based on how they make money.

Well I am the topic starter and find WoW fun in its own right. The one drawback is that it takes forever to get to one place. GW is great in how you don't have to have a ton of time available to play it. You can just click on the map and boom you are at that place. GW is defanetely more noob friendly also. I will say that WoW is superior in terms of the way the places are made. It is much more interesting to see whats around the corner than in GW. Here is hoping to GW2 being more explorer friendly. That said I won't be buying WoW anytime soon because GW keeps me occupied enough at it is. GW has its pros and cons and so does WoW. It just depends on personal preference to which one you like more. The only reason I started the WoW trail is because the free trial cd came with the starcraft battlechest I bought recently upon hearing about starcraft II :cool:

Back