Do you think WoW will stand up to Star Wars MMO?

Logos

I am just curious do you think the Star Wars MMO will greatly affect WoW in any way??:confused:

The Star Wars MMO will pull some people away, but many will come right back, just like all the other MMO's that have come out in the last 5 years.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I have been for over a decade. I especially love the Old Republic period. I'll give it a shot. If it's nearly as good as it looks, that'll be it for WoW as far as I'm concerned. I know there are a lot of people who are just bored with WoW at this point. It's 5 years old. That's a long time by game standards, maybe it's not that long by MMO standards. But a lot of people have said that it's getting old and or getting too easy.

I agree with Proud more or less. There have been a lot of games that were going to "spell the end for WoW", but none of them has killed it yet. I might try out the Star Wars MMO, but I can't imagine it being better than WoW. It would take a lot for a game to come out with the same "polish" WoW has developed in it's 5 year run. I tried Aion and it was cool.. but it got stale pretty quickly because it was so new and the developers hadn't learned some of the lessons that Blizzard has learned over a long period of 5 years.

All that to say.. Star Wars will prolly be cool. But I imagine it will be similar to what happened when Warhammer came out.. a bunch of people will leave and then be back in a month or two.

Yeah, I agree with Bill. A lot of new MMO's have been released that are so-called "WoW killers", but all of them came up short in their expectations. For me, the only game other than WoW that has kept my interest longterm was DAoC, but its glory days were before WoW was released, so it really doesn't count.

Warhammer was supposed to be the "WoW killer" but it quickly became Failhammer and everyone came back. Just about everyone I've seen leave for Aion has come back as well...

I have played mmo's since their have been MMO's. Everquest was one I played from beta on. It was the same story when WoW came out... Oh, a few people will switch, then come back. It won't affect us too much in the end. Well, where's Everquest now? There were many games that they said would dethrone EQ. DAoC was one of them, the old Star Wars game, and many others.

The gameplay is far superior in Everquest IMO. It's a superior game. They had the Titanic syndrome and Sony/Verant acted like nothing could dethrone them and it showed in their customer service, customer care, and in game maintenance. Their were things people wanted done and fixed and Sony/Verant just wouldn't mess with it.

A couple months after WoW came out, they started having to consolidate servers they had lost so many that weren't coming back.

Blizz is headed in this direction. Something will come out that listens to the players again, meets the players needs, and even if it's an inferior game, bye bye WoW.

I'm not saying it's the Star Wars game but it's headed that way. Too many people are getting tired of WoW.

Also, one of the best things Blizz did was to hire my Everquest guildleader (Tigole) and put him in a lead position in game development and gameplay design.

There will come a time when WoW will be dethroned and I hate to say it but I think the 5 year mark is getting close to it for a MMO. I've enjoyed the community I found on here but I am SO looking forward to the new Star Wars MMO. I'll be on there checking it out at least on day 1.

Lots of good points have already been made here. I'd add:
1) I dunno if Star Wars will be the dethroner because Sci-Fi MMOs have never seemed to do as well as Swords & Sorcery stuff. On one hand, that creates a favorable hunger for a "different" Sci-Fi world. On the other hand, there's a reason why every other Sci-Fi MMO has failed -- it's hard to get right. On the third hand, KOTOR broke the similar single-person RPG trend by being a hugely successful non-swords and sorcery RPG ... maybe Bioware'll do it agian.
2) I think that WoW has 20x as many subscribers that EQ/EQ2 ever had. Not sure if the numbers are exactly right, but certainly the gap is huge. Which means that Blizz has a lot more money to play around with than Sony's EQ team ever did. So I think that may give WoW legs beyond a 5-year precedent.
3) WoW is my first major MMO experience so maybe this isn't WoW-unique, but Blizz has really evolved the game over time. Yeah, a lot is similar ... but every expansions or thereabouts has introduced a "significant new thing to learn" in the game. Be it Arenas, or how Spellpower works, or how Decurse functionality works. That willingless to "rewrite" fundamental mechanics of the game is risky, but certainly has kept it interesting.
4) Eventually, WoW will be dethroned. But were I to bet on the dethroner, I'd expect it to be Blizzard's secret new-IP MMO. No one else will be able to make the billion-dollar investment necessary to make a game with polish, depth, and scale of WoW needed to draw people away permanently.

you are right, sci fi normally has a smaller fan base than the sword and sorcery mmo's. Just don't could SW out before it is even released.

Blizz has a habit of making things too easy for non casual gamers and I think that's the type of person blizz will lose to the next big thing first. The more hard core gamers. Once they start going somewhere, others will follow.

True, that blizz has a lot more players than sony/verant had with EQ. More people have computers now, and EQ is what I think started bringing mmo's to the mainstream. Their requirements for a system were just outrageous which is what i think a lot of their downfall was. If you didn't have a fully top of the line system, it didn't play well.

It's hard to say but I do think the next big one will be out in the next year or two. Lots of people are itching for a change. I don't necessarily think it will be the SW mmo but it will come in next year or two I think.

I have to agree with Gilga. If another MMO dethrones WoW it will be done by Blizzard themselves. I read a article sometime back the Blizzard pulled their lead guy off of WoW sometime ago and he is in charge of research and developement of the next MMO . WoW II if you will.

Warhammer was supposed to be the "WoW killer" but it quickly became Failhammer and everyone came back. Just about everyone I've seen leave for Aion has come back as well...

Actually the developers said time and time again that they weren't out to kill WoW, and would be fine in second place. Other than a buggy launch, the game has come a long way since I first played it in late 2008.

As for TOR, well, I think that will take a sizeable amount of players away from all MMOs. Blizzard must be running out of ideas if they're going to polish up old content for an expansion pack. :rolleyes:

I just have this to say,, Bioware is the force behind this game,, no pun intended, oh yes it was.. anyway, they dont make a bad game,, and second, they are being smart and waiting till a few months after Cat comes out to make the official release.. if you watch the videos it looks pretty polished, and its in beta .. if there is one game that could keep peeps away from wow this is the only one i believe that has a real shot! 3rd its Star Wars! Need i say more? you might have a few that come back to wow, but i think more so than not, that there will be peeps that stay playing Star Wars and still play wow , for raiding and whatnot. This is where i see it going..

Out of all the "WoW-killers" that have been released, I think TOR has the highest chance of actually stealing and keeping more players. 1) It is Star Wars, which means it has probably the largest fan base out of any video game genre just by being made in the first place. Fantasy may be big, but Star Wars has the advantage of being a combination between fantasy and sci-fi. 2) It's Bioware. I could have seen Star Trek Online being big for the same reason as reason one (big fan base), but STO was not made that well and was not made by a company that gaming fans trust. TOR, on the other hand, is being made by a company that has several game of the year and RPG of the year awards. If anyone other that Blizzard can make an MMO to rival WoW, I would say it is Bioware. 3) As others have mentioned, time is also an issue. As WoW gets older, new games have a greater chance of taking its spot.

Having said all that, I do not think TOR will be a true "WoW-killer" in that I expect WoW to keep going strong for quite some time. However, I would not be surprised to find that TOR becomes more popular than WoW and stays that way for an extended period of time. My guess would be that a lot of people will keep playing WoW, but that TOR will get enough solid players that it at least stays close in size to WoW even if it doesn't pass WoW's numbers.

On a more personal side, WoW is dead for me. I played it for around two years and currently have no real desire to return. It is possible that WoW will be resurrected at some point, but TOR will be the next major MMO for me. If I ever return to WoW for another extended period, it will probably be long after TOR comes out (assuming TOR doesn't epic phail). It is also possible that I will have a brief stint in WoW between now and when TOR comes out, but I doubt that will last long (and it would be partially to recruit for the Sith guild :D). If TOR turns out to be nearly as good as I hope it will be, I doubt I will ever return to WoW. I have always been a huge Star Wars fan and I loved KOTOR so much that I have beaten it more times than I can count.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to TOR and would love for you all to join me when it comes out! We actually have forums for the TOR chapter of TOJ set up already if any of you would like to take a look. http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with Bill. A lot of new MMO's have been released that are so-called "WoW killers", but all of them came up short in their expectations. For me, the only game other than WoW that has kept my interest longterm was DAoC, but its glory days were before WoW was released, so it really doesn't count.
I loved DAoC. Best RVR ever. But, like (and with, haha) Colbi I played before WoW. I tried going back a few times but it was too strange.

I wouldn't say Warhammer failed quickly. I managed to get to level 40 (top level) before I quit... that's saying something there!

It was a great game with loads of potential, but unfortunately Mythic couldn't completely polish it up in time.

Back to TOR, I don't think it will damage WOW. World of Warcraft has been around for 5 years now, and some people who played it back when I started at release are still playing (beats me how they do it...). That's a huge investment in and a huge attachment to a game. I doubt TOR will "Kill WoW" (which is ridiculous, btw, because in 5 years not one company has managed to significantly dent WoW's player base), even with it being a Star Wars game. World of Warcraft is not just the benchmark, it's much more than that... it is the definition of what an MMO should be. No other game has defined a genre like WoW did for MMORPG's.

WoW is 5 years old and that's ancient! BUT as it gets older it gets better at retaining its players. It's like a virus (like Ebola) if you think about it - the more the environment changes, the more it evolves and mutates!

Another reason I don't think it will hurt WoW is that the storyline is much more important in TOR than it is in WoW. Surely, within a few years they will have butchered it.

Last edited:
If I missed it, please forgive me. But isn't the elephant in the room the fact that there was already a Star Wars MMO and it was horrible.

yeah but you have to look at that HUGE fan base and realize what if they mess up the story line or some part of lore or a character they will get HUGE amounts of flak for that.
As for TOR, well, I think that will take a sizeable amount of players away from all MMOs. Blizzard must be running out of ideas if they're going to polish up old content for an expansion pack

they are doing that because people have been asking for it since bc came out! Because those instances were sooo well done. ANd the changes in cat are amazing atleast for hunters i know atleast 3 people who are seriously thinking of returning for cat because of the changes and the amount of content.

i seriously doubt WoW is going anywhere. These same exact things were said (minus the large fan base so much) with sooo many other games. I guess time will be the true test of it. but like gilga and reco said wow has gotten so polished unless the game is spotless on release people will leave.

Back