Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I never used ICQ

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Today, I decided to wipe out my contact list and start over. I've accumulated a fair number of contacts in the last eight years and it's nice to have a "fresh" contact list.

Cleaning out my contact list got me thinking about how many people used to use ICQ but how few seem to use it now. So to satiate my curiosity, I decided to create this poll.

EDIT: To clarify: I'm not asking whether or not you're using the ICQ software, but rather the ICQ network. If you're using Trillian, GAIM, or a similar program, but still connect to the ICQ network, please vote "Yes."

I didn't have as many friends on it, and the friends that WERE on it were also on something else. So it kind of got phased out.

I use GAIM but I only connect to the MSN/AIM networks. And that's only because a few of my UT buddies use it instead of Xfire (why, I have no idea). Xfire is far superior.

I only use Windows Messenger (ask me in a PM for address to use). I used to use ICQ "back in the days" but removed it earlier this year to some problems with ICQ having a tendency to alter the text that I entered (Here in Sweden we use the special letters of "å, ä and ö").

Edit: After some consideration (about 10 minutes or so) I've decided to give ICQ another try. You can find my ID in my profile.

Last edited:
gaim is great also, iChat is by far the best IM client included with an operating system (even tho it only supports aim and jabber hmm). I take express delight in slaughtering msn messenger and aim from any computer I build.

Edit: After some consideration (about 10 minutes or so) I've decided to give ICQ another try. You can find my ID in my profile.

"Edit": I installed it, tried to remove all the extras but that did not work, so I uninstalled it. I do not like the fancy features on ICQ, my Windows Messenger does the job without any fuss.

hescominsoon: I am gonna give it a go.

For the Mac users out there: I use Adium. It's the best IM client I've ever used; possibly the best Mac app I've used as well. It's just so customizable, it looks great, it's snappy, lightweight... I could go on and on. =)

If I had a beta version of Adium, I could even connect to Xfire and see what games people are playing.

I use a window manager that is still rated as alpha :p

every time I update it fewer and fewer bugs are there. its been what i would call stable for the last year or so. But new features keep appearing when I update :p

I might give ICQ another try. I've been using Trillian for some time, but I never even bother to connect.

icq doesnt do anything anything else does, unless someone is specifically using icq it makes little sense to use it.

I have it in Trillian, but have been using windows live messenger lately for a few reasons that really are exclusive to my current situation.

I would mention though that ICQ sends the password as plain text over it's connection, which is a security risk I don't really care for. But only because it makes me use a seperate password for that service, and I'm far too lazy to enjoy that.

I'm a trillian guy as well.

Another question, isn't ICQ an international thing? I don't know much about it but I heard my girlfriend talk about it when she was on the foreign exchange student program in Germany.

Back