DFW LAN Party (Interest)

crcook84

Hey guys.

This isn't necessarily an announcement as much as to just gauge interest. I live in the Dallas, TX area. I've been interested in having a get together with fellow Christian gamers. I've wondered how this could best happen. A LAN party seems to be the best way for us to join up as a community.

Now I can supply some of the equipment. I have 5 WideBand 28-port managed gigabit layer 2/3 switches (the company my dad works for was phasing them out and either he took them or they would have been thrown out). Some of the switches can act as routers. That can give us almost 140 wired gamers. If we can get a hold of some spare wireless ethernet switches, that would make the number of players limited only by the number of computers we can have on a single router.

With that in mind, I would appreciate some input on one question in particular. If you have 1,000 computers connected, wired or wireless, to a single network, even thought they can't file share, can they still play games together? I know that there's a configuration to being able to do this. I just don't know what that is. Whether it's just pre-determining the IP ranges (192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, 192.168.3.1, etc.), the subnet masks, or setting up a domain. There was a record held for 12,000 computers at a single LAN event. So, I know it can be done.

If we have consoles, we can get up to 4 players per console. Mind you, unless someone knows how to trick the consoles into believing they're connected to their manufacturer's servers, the building we do this in will require an internet connection.

Back