Devo on Luke 22 39-46

rhysj

STRESSED OUT

Luke 22:39-46
When He arrived at the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." And He withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and {began} to pray, saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done." Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him. And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground. When He rose from prayer, He came to the disciples and found them sleeping from sorrow, and said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not enter into temptation."

When we look at this passage we usually think about how the disciples keep falling asleep, and Jesus keep going back to pray, and then the leading of the betrayal by Judas.

However I want to show you a different bit that God has shown me.

In the last 6 months I have been the most stressed I have been in my life time. I have had to trust God for everything that my family needs. However the stress that I have been through in the last 6 months is noting compared to the stress that Christ was going through that night in the garden. You see the disciples were stressed out because they were trying to figure out who was going to betray Jesus. They fell asleep. Christ on the other hand who knew what was about to betrayed was dealing with the stress in a totally different way, HE was praying. Jesus was dealing with the stress sin away that most people don’t think of, He wasn’t going crazy running around like a chicken with his head cut off, He wasn’t running to everyone around Him going take this way Judas is he one stop him before it happens. Instead He was praying for His Father’s will to be He was stressed but He put the will of the Father first.

I believe that Jesus was showing us something else that no-one really catches on, Christ is showing us the way to deal with stress, since we usually get stress when we feel that things aren’t going the way we think they should, we should instead of getting stressed out we should take the issues and the stress to our Father in heaven and let Him deal the stress and allow His Will to b done.

How are you going to deal with the stress in your life? You going to follow the example of the disciples and fall asleep and keep stressing or you going to follow Christ example and take it to the Father in Pray and let Him deal with the it and let His Will be done?

An interesting thought someone passed on to me years ago: when we are stressed, we tend to worry a lot. As we worry, we think over the problem again and again, telling ourselves the problem, asking ourselves what to do, and trying to come up with solutions.

Which sounds a lot like praying, except that we are praying to ourselves instead of God.

Prayer is an excellent way to de-stress because God knows the solutions.

Back