Dead Gaming Genres

Gilga

So Tek's 2D platformer thread made me think of this...

What gaming genres are now dead. As in people used to make these sorts of games, but now don't (in any non-retro, non-freeware, non-CD-ROM-in-the-bargain-bin-at-Office-Depot way).

I think this can safely be said of:
1) Text-based adventures games (e.g. Zork, Planetfall) ... these story-based games are now built into other games with more varied gameplay (and extant graphics)
2) Text/character-based dungeon games (e.g. Rogue) ... these evolved into 2D graphics games and then 3D graphics games
3) 2D Adventures Games (e.g. all of the Sierra "quest" games) ... pure adventure games have morphed into games with some added gameplay element, e.g. RPG, FPS, twitch controls
4) 1st person adventure/click games (e.g. Myst) ... generally evolved into FPS games at least some semblance of gameplay besides clicking on a static scene

Anything else?

1) Text-based adventures games (e.g. Zork, Planetfall) ... these story-based games are now built into other games with more varied gameplay (and extant graphics)
True. I don't think any development studio is going to release a game without any graphics in this day and age, unless it's a freeware promotion for a game with graphics.

2) Text/character-based dungeon games (e.g. Rogue) ... these evolved into 2D graphics games and then 3D graphics games
What about NetHack? I know it's an old game, but it's still in play.

3) 2D Adventures Games (e.g. all of the Sierra "quest" games) ... pure adventure games have morphed into games with some added gameplay element, e.g. RPG, FPS, twitch controls
Adventure games are alive and well. Look no further than Telltale Games' catalog on Steam for proof.

4) 1st person adventure/click games (e.g. Myst) ... generally evolved into FPS games at least some semblance of gameplay besides clicking on a static scene
I think the genre is no called "hidden objects" and is considered a casual genre.

Here are two examples on Steam:
  1. Mystery P.I. - The Lottery Ticket
  2. Nancy Drew Dossier: Resorting to Danger!
I know it's not the same, but hidden objects games are about as close as you'll get to the original Myst (aside from Myst ports) these days.

I think if even roguelikes are still alive (see: Dungeons of Dredmor), then there's no such thing as a dead genre (minus the text-only genres listed above, and there may even be modern examples of those on Flash game sites).

True. I don't think any development studio is going to release a game without any graphics in this day and age, unless it's a freeware promotion for a game with graphics.

Dwarf Fortress is as close as it gets. But that game is in a league all its own.

@Tek
On #2 ... fair enough, but I'd put that as a "retro game" exception ... classics continuing on but the genre not seeing new development in the way that Braid is putting fresh ideas into the 2D platformer genre.
On #3... looking at that steam list, it's mostly bargain-ware (e.g. Nancy Drew) or retro-ware (e.g. Puzzle Agent). But that genre going episodic IS something I'll acknowledge as novel and indicative of a still-beating-heard
On #4 ... hidden object AND room escape subgenres definitely still have some sort of existence, I guess ... but it seems like a free/bargain basement existence.

@Elader ... agree, class of its own. i'd actually put it in category #2 rather than #1 ... it's not text-based in the Zork sense but closer to something using ascii characters to convey/simulate gameplay/graphical information. Of course, nothing quite does that like Dwarf Fortress does.

Telltale Games have basically revived the point & click adventure genre. I've got the Monkey Island games and the Back to the Future series. I'm looking forward to when they release The Walking Dead.

I do miss the Kings Quest games though. Maybe it's time to reinstall.

Telltale Games have basically revived the point & click adventure genre. I've got the Monkey Island games and the Back to the Future series. I'm looking forward to when they release The Walking Dead.

I do miss the Kings Quest games though. Maybe it's time to reinstall.

King's Quest Fan Game (The Silver Lining)

Telltale Available Now​

Telltale Sam and Max

Telltale Monkey Island

Telltale Back to the Future

Telltale Wallace and Gromit

Telltale Strong Bad's Cool Games for Attractive People

Telltale Bone

Telltale Upcoming​

Telltale Jurassic Park

Telltale Walking Dead

Telltale Fables

Sorry, but MUDs are still out there, and quite a number of them exist with both active players and active development: http://www.mudconnect.com/

Now, the only dead genre I can think of of the top of my head, is my personally beloved space-fighter sim. Think Rogue Squadron, Wing Commander (& WC Privateer), Freespace and Tachyon the Fringe.

Back