Cremation vs. Burial

Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. John 11:39 (KJV)

I wish I understood why they felt this way. Many Christians have been martyred by burning at the stake (ie, those in Nero's house that Paul wrote to encourage). Did Jesus Himself not declare that we are blessed for our persecution? How can we be blessed for being a martyr and simultaneously sentenced to eternal separation because of a fiery death?

that makes no sense at all.

Because if people read their bibles, they might start to start asking questions and the global powerhouse of control would weaken?

Man I sound like such a stinkin' conspiracy theorist these days. Curse you, cause and effect analysis!

Edit: I wanted to add something somewhat unrelated, but just some food for thought.

My dad died when I was 19, and he had the "whatever is cheaper" attitude, so he was cremated. I never got a chance to see the urn before ashes were scattered about. Mom used the money saved to blow on a new car, that she quickly sold and blew on another new car.

Yes, it's just a body, and yes, funeral plots are vastly overpriced. I just wanted to share my experience and decision and encourage others - don't decide how YOU want to be buried. What do you care? You'll be dead! Rather...ask your family members how THEY would want you disposed of...after all it'll be their money and they may or may not care to visit.

Last edited:
You don't actually get an urn unless you pay for it. My grandparents were both cremated so they could be scattered... they came back to us in cardboard boxes.

This reminds me I have to call the new Veterans cemetery near here, gotta reserve a plot for the two of us. In our family we have done both, it just depends. Spouse's family is all burial, at one or 2 cemeteries. Of course I live in a very different family oriented area, and some people I know near me have all night vigils with the deceased.

Back