CPU Issue...

Well, a while back (about a year or more I think), I purchased the game Oblivion. I've played my heart out on Morrowind, but the old game just doesn't have much left in it for me. Unfortunately, when I bought Oblivion, I failed to realize that my CPU clockspeed was .14Ghz too slow...
I needed at least a 2GHz clockspeed to run the game at all, and I currently have 1.86GHz clockspeed. Sadly, I don't have the cash to just go replacing CPUs or anything.
I've gone without Oblivion for a long time, and I think I ought to do something about it sometime, because it's really bothering me not having it.

Any ideas on a way to make my compy faster? :p

Last edited:
Hmmm... Perhaps I'm wrong about the problem...

It could partly be my lame-o graphics card, but more importantly:

I don't have enough RAM. I have 504MB (I don't know how...) and need 512MB (I thought I had 512???)

After all, I was told last time my computer got fixed that the game would probably run even though I didn't have a fast enough CPU... and the internet seems to agree that Pentium M is better than Pentium 4, and that a 1.86GHz M is as fast as or faster than a 2GHz 4...

Perhaps I just need to find a way back to 512MB RAM? lol

RAM upgrade to 1GB would be great... but is that expensive?

EDIT: Apparently, I can upgrade my lame intel graphics card while I'm trying to get the RAM upgraded, and the great radeon graphics card will only cost about $30-$40 :3

So I need 1GB RAM and an ATI Radeon X1550... and I need them installed (I can install the graphics card myself and I know a great place in town to get the RAM bought installed).

I guess I just spent my time typing messages for myself then x_x

Last edited:
You actually do have 512MB of RAM but 8MB is being assigned to your internal video card. It's pretty common.
I've found in general that the processor is usually not the problem. .14MHz difference is probably not as a big a deal as the video card and RAM. You could honestly probably do the whole upgrade (well) for about $150 off ebay and be quite satisfied. If you're concerned about the processor speed you can probably even overclock your proccessor just a touch. It's fiarly easy to do - almost built into BIOS options now.

yes i learned about the 8MB use... but i still need that RAM for the game...

I can't use the BIOS to overclock on my Inspiron 6000; Dell blocks pretty much everything... But I don't need it anyway xD Apparently my CPU is just as good as the Minimum Req. one.

I think I'll head to the local computer shop in town sometime (maybe I can convince my mom to let me do that today?) and have the guy fix it (and while I'm there perhaps talk about getting a sort of "job" there so I can get my IB CAS hours...)

btw, what sort of 1GB RAM stick should I get?

And can I easily install it myself on my Inspiron 6000 notebook?

(I know how to install the video card; that's easy.)

Last edited:
Mine's integrated, so I don't know if that's even possible...but still, I'd like to see that if you can find it again.

Hmm... From a website a guy made with a compatible games list for my exact graphics card chipset:

Oblivion (without Oldblivion)(with Oldblivion it sort of worked but not very well ;_;)
Apparently, it works with my card w/o Oldblivion (which I don't want).

Now how am I to get around this 504RAM thing and the processor that may not be up to speed...?

Oh and mine is also integrated, which I think rules out the switching xD (I </3 Intel :3 )

Last edited:
some dude on Yahoo! Answers said:
1.86Ghz laptop? Well it really depends, it's because certain processors, although have a lot Ghz rating, it's actual performance is a lot higher (Like a Pentium M, although it has a clock rating of 1.86ghz, its as fast as a 2.6Ghz Pentium 4.)

Well now if my graphics card will run it, and my processor is fast enough (the minimum req. for processor speed is a Pentium 4 2GHz or better)... Why does it fail so miserably?!

I have a dell...inspiron 1501, or my version of "the devil box." I'm probably just going to get custom desktop in about another year with a 6-core.

i have all the requirments to run this game and it still wont run on my computer, when i press play a black box named oblivion and it encounters and error and needs to close.
that is what happens to me as well
Perhaps I'm one of these people? That's the exact error I keep getting, and I have reinstalled (twice)...

It costs too much to get a new computer x_x"

More than once my own graphics card has given me the BSOD. Anyone have more professional input on any way to make my laptop run better?

EDIT: just after posting this my mouse vanished for 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Back