Courageous

CajunGeek

Hey everyone,

Tonight I was blessed with an opportunity to go see the movie "Courageous", from the same people who made "Fireproof". I can stand here right now and say that this movie has convicted me of my walk, and has shown me some of the ways I need to lead should I ever have a family. I highly recommend that everyone to please go see this film and be blessed by its message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9VT_NBIVfs

Last edited:
There are two other movies by the same people who made Fireproof. Flywheel and Facing the Giants. Both are excellent movies. They were made before Fireproof so they have a little less on the production side but I would still highly recommend them. I plan on seeing Courageous as soon as I can.

All the movies so far have given a form of Lordship salvation but other than that seem to be fairly non denominational and uplifting to Christ and our walk with Him.

If [Fireproof, Flywheel, insert "Christian" movie of choice] was a "non-Christian" film it would have been passed off as a b-rated flick with stiff dialog and poor acting.

Why do these movies get a free pass because they present a Christian message?

If I'm looking to get some plumbing done on my house and I know that the non-Christian plumber does a higher quality job for the same price as the Christian plumber, should I go with the Christian plumber just because he is Christian?

If [Fireproof, Flywheel, insert "Christian" movie of choice] was a "non-Christian" film it would have been passed off as a b-rated flick with stiff dialog and poor acting.

Why do these movies get a free pass because they present a Christian message?

If I'm looking to get some plumbing done on my house and I know that the non-Christian plumber does a higher quality job for the same price as the Christian plumber, should I go with the Christian plumber just because he is Christian?

@Patriot: I think we can agree that what makes a "good" (or "b-rated", for that matter) movie is subjective. I know lots of people who ask the same questions about a-rated horror movies. Personally, I really enjoyed Fireproof, as I have enjoyed other secular b-rated movies. On the other hand I could only get through about 15 mins of Facing the Giants. I have not seen "Courageous", but I can appreciate and respect the original poster's feelings towards to the movie.

Yes, the acting was very wooden in Flywheel. It got a little better in Facing the Giants. This is why Kirk Cameron was brought in for Fireproof. I have not seen Courageous but it looks like they went back to the original actors. Considering it's origins, I'd say it's pretty good for what it is.

However, for me, the message is more important than the acting. I can get all kinds of big budget, professionally acted Hollywood garbage anywhere. It's very hard to find Christian friendly movies for my family to watch and while I don't like the lordship salvation message, it's better than having my daughter watch Avatar or something else like that.

The message from Hollywood is very different from the message from Christ. If I'm looking to have the wiring in my house fixed, I'll pay for an inexperienced electrician trying to do a good job over a perfect plumber any day.

I watched Courageous on Friday, and it was actually pretty good. It was still pretty heavy on the Christian message, but I thought that the acting quality has improved a great deal. It has a solid message, a good story, good humor, and good enough acting for it all to work. Like some of you I had a hard time sitting through the previous ones, but I thought this one was WAY better than any of the others had been. I would definitely recommend seeing it.

Not a John MacArthur fan eh? ;)

I've only been saved for a little over a year so when I saw this comment, I had to do some research. To be honest, as i read more in the Word, I see more and more that Jesus should not only be our savior, but also Lord of our life. I'm not saying we then have to live out a "good-works" life, but scripture does call us out to be like Christ, in all manner of our life. Here are a few scriptures that I have saved at my office desk that I read daily:

1Co 11:1-3
1) Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. 2) Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3) But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

Jos 24:15
15) And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Back to the movie though.... I personally applaud Sherwood Films/Baptist Church for making these films in a time when Christianity as a whole is being ridiculed every minute. I'm one that does not care about the acting as long as there is a good story worth watching for.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox now....

I've only been saved for a little over a year so when I saw this comment, I had to do some research. To be honest, as i read more in the Word, I see more and more that Jesus should not only be our savior, but also Lord of our life. I'm not saying we then have to live out a "good-works" life, but scripture does call us out to be like Christ, in all manner of our life. Here are a few scriptures that I have saved at my office desk that I read daily:

There is a big difference between making Christ Lord of your life BECAUSE you are saved and making Him Lord of your life TO be saved.

It's along the same lines as baptism. We should be baptized because we got saved. We don't need to get baptized to get saved.

We are called to have a life of good works after we're saved and to make him Lord of our lives. But none of that is what is needed to be saved.

Fireproof had the most clear Lordship salvation message of all the movies. It was a great teaching moment for my daughter and I. They are all good movies (better than just about anything Hollywood puts out) but we must be careful because a little leaven leaveneth the whole loaf.

There is a big difference between making Christ Lord of your life BECAUSE you are saved and making Him Lord of your life TO be saved.

Sorry, I think you're pretty off on that. Acknowledging Jesus as Lord is absolutely essential to becoming saved.

Romans 10:9-
that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Last edited:
I want to see the movie. One of my favorite authors, Randy Alcorn wrote a book adapted from the screenplay that I want to read as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Courageous-Novel-Randy-Alcorn/dp/1414358466

The Lordship Salvation part is a kind of a thread hijack, although if it is a strong message in the films, then I guess its relevant. It would make a great topic for the "What does God say about" forum, however.

Just to add to the hijack, here is a great link on the topic from grace church. http://www.gracechurch.org/distinctives/lordship_salvation/
To put it simply, the gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority. This, in a nutshell, is what is commonly referred to as lordship salvation.

Last edited:
Back