Couple quick questions

reets

Some information I haven't been able to find about the game so far.

1. Does each race have a special ability/buff that would make it better to play certain professions on each race?

2. Does the background you set up at the start of character creation have any real affect on your character stats, abilities, etc.

3. The character names you use in betas, will they be reserved for you at launch?

Some information I haven't been able to find about the game so far.

1. Does each race have a special ability/buff that would make it better to play certain professions on each race?

2. Does the background you set up at the start of character creation have any real affect on your character stats, abilities, etc.

3. The character names you use in betas, will they be reserved for you at launch?

1.) Possibly but Anet said no. However we know they got race specific elite skills. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elite_skill

2.) Nope, just personal story and how npcs respond to you.

3.)No, unless they don't wipe the characters. The only confirmed way you can reserve a name is by having it in GW1, connecting your accounts, and naming your GW2 character within the 1st 24 hours the game goes live.

Last edited:
About #1...

yes, there are racial, utility abilities as well as racial elite skills. I know humans are given a 'prayer of Dwayna' (healing utility) and a 'prayer of Kormir' (condition removal utility). Neither are "elite" skills.

As for what will be given to Asura and Sylvari, they haven't shared that information yet. I've been searching. My guess is that either they will announce that soon or at least during the BWE 3.

And before I make my "final" character decisions, I'm waiting to find out what those will be. For me, racial skills (not just elites) will play a major factor in deciding what race/profession combination I'll be putting together.

In regards to racial skills, ANet has said that they specifically don't want people to feel they have to roll a certain race because it has the best skills for a certain class. They've said they are intended to be color for the races, and that they want them to be a little less powerful than other skills so that they don't become "must-haves".

Expect that any racial skill, including an elite, that becomes part of the Meta to get quickly nerfed so that it doesn't influence race selection.

They've also specifically said that beta characters will be wiped, in case there's any confusion there. As Elhanan said, the only way to reserve a name is through GW1. You have four days to make a character with the name if you are part of the head start.

I'd have to agree about the racial skills. Right now, they are present, but not very impressive. And I agree that they seem to be "underpowered" compared to profession skills.

Yea, racial skills are more to get the "feel" of the race rather than enhance the profession. It makes sense to have the humans praying to the six gods whereas Norn are able to use their spirit-animal skills. We will find out more about what kind of skills Asura and Sylvari will have at the next BWE.

Other than that, your other two questions are a firm no. No bio questions will affect your character other than through the personal story and everything will be wiped from Beta to launch.

I hope the ability to ride in a golem is still one of the Asura elites. Underpowerd or no, I will definitely be using it purely for the flair.

Yeah, the Charr seem to get all the good racial skills. But it makes sense because no one in their right mind would be a Charr otherwise. :eek:

Fur and metal armor just don't mix well. :D

Are you kidding me?

1) Fur and metal are awesome.

2) Hounds of Balthazar and Becoming the Snow Leopard are pretty stinkin' awesome!

Yeah, metal and fur is pretty sweet. ;)

Warrior_Charr_Hide_armor_m.jpg

Let me clarify,...

Fur ON metal works fine. After all, it woven into the material intentionally. :)

But imagine yourself having very hairy arms, legs, chest, back, neck, and face with all the parts going into armor - and then trying to walk - pinching you with every step, no to mention trying to perform athletic combat maneuvers while your own armor is ripping chunks of your hair out. That's just painful. :eek:

So when considering the pic, that guy has fur ON his metal armor. When the armor moves, its not his hair getting caught in between the plates and bands. So it works. :cool:

But a Charr.... that's just too painful to contemplate. :rolleyes:

The fur and metal comment immediately had me imagining static electricity buildup.

Who needs to play a Ele. Char full plate warrior can be just as shocking. :D

Last edited:
Let me clarify,...

Fur ON metal works fine. After all, it woven into the material intentionally. :)

But imagine yourself having very hairy arms, legs, chest, back, neck, and face with all the parts going into armor - and then trying to walk - pinching you with every step, no to mention trying to perform athletic combat maneuvers while your own armor is ripping chunks of your hair out. That's just painful. :eek:

So when considering the pic, that guy has fur ON his metal armor. When the armor moves, its not his hair getting caught in between the plates and bands. So it works. :cool:

But a Charr.... that's just too painful to contemplate. :rolleyes:

Charr in pain all the time... sounds good to me. lol

Seriously though, when I read your description my arms started hurting. (shivers in pain) That just sounded horrible.

I really, really, really liked hearing the soft padded footsteps ingame of my charr warrior ^_^ And I made mine all white, and she was pretty and ferocious at the same time. /roar

edit: Oh and I used the rifle alot more than I ever thought I would! Really great stuff!

Last edited:
Back