COPYCATS!

Dark Virtue

How hard is it to come up with a decent game idea?

I swear these companies lie, cheat and steal from each other.

Two recent examples: Vietnam and Psionics

Vietnam is the new WWII. It's the game of choice for FPS's it seems. Within a few weeks we had a slew of Vietnam games out. 'Nam '67, Viet Cong and just recently, Conflict: Vietnam. Sheesh, give us a break already. Now, it would be different if these games were GOOD, but 'Nam '67 and Viet Cong were crap. I can't speak for Conflict Vietnam, but the other Conflict games were barely palatable.

Within a week it seems we had two Psionic games on the shelf. Psi-Ops and Second Sight. We're talking blatant ripoffs here. Both games have virtually identical storylines. Both games have alternating storylines (present and flashback levels). Both games have you regaining your latent psi powers. Both games have similar weapon choices, layouts and gameplay. Both games have a female character that the player relies on for information. I could go on and on.

For the record, Second Sight is a MUCH better game, though it still has its quirks (namely camera angles). It actually has a decent STORYLINE, imagine that, a storyline!

I hope this trend of copycat games ends quickly!

My main problem with these copycats is the trend called pay per month. Ever Quest did it and made so much money off of that one product so now every freaking company is making slews of these pay per month titles! In best buy they have a whole shelf dedicated to pay per month games....
Also Adventure games. There are like 20 new ones, all basically the same thing. Like Myst and Rift I think its called....
If something sells well every company tries to mock that
sad.gif
, Its pretty lame!
Westwood, Jowood and Bethesda isnt doing it like this! They have their own little series so they may never have to stoop down to the latest trend.

Maybe they're running out of ideas. Ever played Gothic 2? I thought it would be a nice change from the run-of-the-mill "Open ended" RPGs. It wasn't. It was, in fact, another run-of-the-mill RPG.

About the closest game to being fully open ended is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicks Obscura. It is quite frankly excellent. Too many games try to copy that formula and fail.

Maybe they're getting tangled up trying to find out which formulas work best and milk them for all they're worth.

I never played Arcanum, but have always heard good things about it.

One of the most underrated games ever haas to be Freedom Force. You can find it for $10 nowadays, but it's fantastic.

My vote for best openended RPG has to go to Morrowind. THAT was openended.

The best adventure game I think would have to be Zelda on the N64.

I'd probably agree with Morrowind, but I've never played it myself lol.  I do hear a lot of good things about it, though.  Another very open ended rpg is KOTOR - that game was deep.

In general, as far as role-playing goes nothing can beat Pac-Man.

Zelda? which one? Wind waker, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of time, etc.

I have Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask. Preferred Ocarina of time in terms of storyline and characters.

Havn't played Knights of The Old Republic myself, but might just give it a whirl since everyone here seems to like it.

Might just try Morrowind too. You guys make a good sales pitch
cool.gif

Ocarina of Time. I don't remember much of the game, but I loved the night and day effects and the different puzzles you had to solve to unlock certain things in the game. I've never been real big on fantasy, and Zelda is probably the only exception.

KOTOR is FANTASTIC, especially if you even remotely like Star Wars.

I don't really think of it as an open ended game though, nowhere near Morrowind.

And yes, they are both MUST BUYS!

Morrowind bored me to tears...I don't know why. I tried as hard as I could to enjoy it...after constantly getting lost and being unable to complete objectives I gave up. Maybe I'll pick up Arcanum.

Morrowind is probobly the best RPG to date and by RPG I mean Role PLaying experience. No game has ever been as immersive and deep as morrowind. Not only that but Morrowind was mode in 2002 and its graphics can contend with many recent titles! Not to mention the two expansions, which are not essentially free add all kinds of new detail.

Id like to see soemoen try to copycat MOrrowind!
tounge.gif

Heh, I had an experience similar the one maxx had. But then, I didn't give the game much of a chance, maybe I should.
EDIT: glad to see you're back Byblos.

NOT back... I am still not posting in the genral or religious discussion forums! But the 'moderators' locked my thread before I got to say that.

Man... more copycats are on the horizon
sad.gif

Back