Contraceptives in a Christian Marriage

Ok Kutluch, I'm gonna be nice. :) Much of the above statement was very oversimplified.

Regarding the world being overpopulated, there are only a few regions of the world that are growing in population (India, China (China looks as though their population is going to start leveling off in the next 50 years) and a few other 3rd world areas in the world). For the most part, established nations have a stable or shrinking population. Many European nations haven't seen population growth in decades. Japan's elderly population (people over 65) is much larger than its child population. The US is beginning to level off as well.

As for your evolutionist lies bit, I am not sure I know of any evolutionists who think abortions are equatable to survival of the fittest. I personally believe in some form of evolution and sure, we do have survival of the fittest, but our brains (whether you want to argue whether they were given to us directly from God or it was God who helped us develop them) have helped us survive all of the epidemics we have faced thus far (we are still here, aren't we?).

As for growing your own food, many people cannot (and I assume you include US citizens in there when you say "everyone") afford the time or the money to grow their own food. Growing your own food requires an absurdly large investment in the beginning and it is something that you cannot be slack with. This investment includes seeds, farming tools and supplies, knowledge and most importantly... LAND! Your little hobby garden in the backyard will not support an entire family. After my Grandfather retired years ago, he started his own garden and was able to feed himself and my Grandmother off of it... but it was nearly 1.5 acres large! Most house plots aren't that large. It requires load of effort to start and massive amounts of time and dedication to keep going. Feeding yourself and the rest of your family from your own garden requires a kind of energy and dedication (there are better words that I can't think of) that the U.S. mentality doesn't support (meaning you cannot grow your own food and operate like a "normal" American family).

Could you elaborate upon that? Saying God is in control is a bit of a cop-out answer.

An abortion is an abortion is an abortion. The only variable that makes one abortion more acceptable than another is circumstance.

I don't think that God wants us to have to spend all of our money on our kids. That's like living paycheck to paycheck, which sucks... trust me. I think God wants us to have as many kids as we can possibly handle and still give them a good quality life and set them up to succeed. If you have 10 children, then you must divide up your time with them 10 different ways, versus if you only had 2 or 3 children. Just think of Jon and Kate + 8 (or whatever it's called now).

As for adoption, it isn't viable for some people. You can't just wake up and decide you want to adopt a child. It costs LOADS of money (which I think people forget sometimes). There is a couple at my mother's church who are raising money so that they can adopt a child of their own (they cannot have babies). They need $30,000 for the adoption fees. It can be more depending on where you live as well. It isn't cheap.

When I said the world wasn't overpopulated, I was refering to the fact that there is more than enough room for there to be more people on this earth. It's not overpopulated.

I'm not saying evolutionists look at abortion as survival of the fittest. I'm saying that they look at it as the world is overpopulated, we need to control the population, and abortion is one easy way of doing it if we are all just evolved animals.

I just went back to silverleaf's post and realized I misread it to say that we don't have enough food. I didn't mean people needed to grow their own food. I meant that if there is a reason for lack of food, it would be not enough farms, as there is plenty of room for more. Not that we can't produce more. Sorry for misreading that.

I don't understand what there is to elaborate on. I never said that a barren woman was disobeying God, and answered a question with a question.

I agree with you on your abortion statement.

I think you read too much into what I wrote. I didn't say you have to spend everything on your children, and yes, you do need to set your children up to succeed. Jon and Kate + 8... I don't know much about them, but the little bit I do know is that it is not, and definately should not, be used as an example for a Christian home. The Dougars (sp?) would be a much better example for a large family.

I didn't say adoption was an option for everyone. However, there are tons of people out there who want to adopt infants, and have the money to do it.

Sorry OP for derailing your thread so badly.

As for adoption, it isn't viable for some people. You can't just wake up and decide you want to adopt a child. It costs LOADS of money (which I think people forget sometimes). There is a couple at my mother's church who are raising money so that they can adopt a child of their own (they cannot have babies). They need $30,000 for the adoption fees. It can be more depending on where you live as well. It isn't cheap.
That is probably international adoption. Local adoption is much cheaper but there is a higher risk of the biological parent returning to claim the child. I don't remember off-hand how long the time-frame is that they have to do it, but it is a period mandated by law.

My mind is still no made up then when I first posted this topic. And while adoption and abortion have their place, it really doesn't pertain to what I'm lookin' for. :p

Do couples use protection, or do they go without after marriage?

what is an 'evolutionist idea'?
I dunno and not really the best person in this as I'm under 18 and intend to die a virgin but hey... bottom line is, is the kid gona suffer? Personally I believe having an abortion is chopping off your own hand, as it is still part of the mother, NOT that that is ok, we should respect its potential for life but really don't see why people go round screaming cold blooded murder. I dont believe it has a soul (yet) till it is born, or at least sentient.
1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions <sentient beings>
But like I said, if you are getting pregnant and you DIDN'T want to... something is wrong here and abortion isn't going to solve anything in the long term.

But yeah these are my views and that I chose to follow, as all controversal topics there are a hell lot of views on this. As for me, I only like 2d anime chicks (spare it) soz this isn't going to be an issue for me...

Luke 1:
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
Just a small sample showing the 'sentince' of an unborn 'child'. And if you've ever personally been through a pregnancy(even as the father), you would know of the life inside the mothers womb, and how it reacts to sound, touch, even the small glow of light that makes it through the womb. Like you said, you may not be in the best position to understand this, but take it from someone who is.

As far as the anime, not sure to what extent you're talking, but lust is still lust, whether it's towards something real, or a cartoon, and that's all it takes to commit adultry, even if it's only in the heart.

Luke 1:
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
Just a small sample showing the 'sentince' of an unborn 'child'. And if you've ever personally been through a pregnancy(even as the father), you would know of the life inside the mothers womb, and how it reacts to sound, touch, even the small glow of light that makes it through the womb. Like you said, you may not be in the best position to understand this, but take it from someone who is.
To supplement your argument:
Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

As far as the anime, not sure to what extent you're talking, but lust is still lust, whether it's towards something real, or a cartoon, and that's all it takes to commit adultery, even if it's only in the heart.
To play devil's advocate, how can he commit adultery if he isn't married?

It's just a matter of semantics. I guess the more correct term to use would be fornication. Even though the verse doesn't say you commit fornication by lusting in your heart, I think it's pretty safe to imply that if a married man would be commiting adultry, and unmarried man would be fornicating.

Thank you Sassamo and Patriot now I don't have to make a ginormous post on abortion as you gave some of the main Biblical and physical reasons against it :) . I will second the way a child reacts to outside stimuli though as a while back I did a lot of searching verifying those facts on multiple web sites ( Just throwing on the de facto pro-life site for you though.) Anyway I don't want to say more because I could go on quite a bit :p.

Luke 1:

As far as the anime, not sure to what extent you're talking, but lust is still lust, whether it's towards something real, or a cartoon, and that's all it takes to commit adultry, even if it's only in the heart.

First I'll touch on the anime issue. Its just like a lust for objects, they don't exist, a figment of my imagination/the cartoonist's imagination, but not here to discuss it as like the other abortion issue theres a huge list of reasons for it (though wrong not AS wrong, victimless, don't like real women heck I think sex is DISGUSTING) and against it, like what you have stated for example.

And about being blessed in the womb, once again, I don't know, but there is a stage where the baby is a baby. I'm no expert on developmental biology, but theres something about the germ layers and developing into organs. Don't want to impose this belief on anyone else but I believe sentience is when a developed brain forms though I'd still call it a fetus.
BUT I believe the mere potential for life should be respected and like I said if you are getting an abortion there are obviously things in your life you need to clear up, and abortion wont solve your problem for long. In fact as God created the animals and every living thing in fact non living things, call me a hippie but I don't think going around wrecking God's work for no good reason is a good thing to do. Unless its to make a super fast computer, I'd kill over 9000 cats for that.

How is sex disgusting? It's the most awesome thing in the world. Besides, we can't refuse to accept gifts from God. Especially one as awesome as this.

Before marriage, abstinence is what God requires for us. In the context of marriage, sex is a God-given gift and the consummation of marriage is beautiful because it is what God designed it to be.

If you are destined for a life in ministry, we are told in the NT that it would be better for us to maintain our celibacy, but that if we cannot control our thoughts and urges, to marry so that we will commit any acts in a Holy manner.

Here is an interesting read about the topic.

In short, make sure that you're understanding each others' perspectives. They are both mature and proper perspectives.

Here is an interesting read about the topic.
I disagree with this article. I find no evidence in the Bible that marriage is a "lower spiritual state" than singleness. And Jesus gives favor to neither side in the quoted verses but instead basically says let those who are called to singleness (they know who they are) to accept it and not to think they need to be married. Paul pretty much declares that you should be content in whichever position you find yourself.

In fact, this article doesn't address the requirements for Bishops (overseers) and deacons in 1 Timothy 3 or Elders in Titus 1. Each of them declare that the person in the position should be the husband of one wife. They each seem to expect marriage and the qualification for deacon seems to expect children.

Open to interpretation. (Just like almost everything else in the Bible.)

XD...funny...

Anyways...my wife and I have used many different forms of birth control, and do not feel bad or wrong in any way for doing it... God is really good a giving my wife bad feelings with something we might plan on doing is not good, and she never got a bad feeling with the pill...however, we do not have insurance, so we now use condoms... We are very careful not to have another kid, because of our living and financial situation having more than 2 would be very problematic for us at the moment...

(to those who might be thinking "everyone is complaining about their financial situation", I will let you know right out I make between $16k-$17k a year and work full time, and we live in a leased duplex that is barely big enough to fit us now...a lot of our stuff is in storage...)

It's just a matter of semantics. I guess the more correct term to use would be fornication. Even though the verse doesn't say you commit fornication by lusting in your heart, I think it's pretty safe to imply that if a married man would be commiting adultry, and unmarried man would be fornicating.

In that case everyone on earth (ok 99.99) would be guilty, according to numerous studies. After all, 99% of men (remainin 1% lie or have some disorder?) and 70ish% of women do it.

//srybacktotopic
If my parents didn't use contraceptives, I'd have at least 10 siblings and I sure as hell don't want that many. 1 may be a bit lonely (not such a big deal when we have MMORPGs but still) and 2 is just nice, 3 there may be a little tension, and I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but I generally observe its the parents who want a big family more often than the kids...

Lastly you know Genesis is a really REALLY old book and theres lots of debate about whether to take it literally (fundamentalist style) or not. Either way, its an argument I can't fight or win lol really I wish a new bible will drop out of the sky today correcting all the stuff our 'scholars' and 'professors' don't get, but we have to make do with what we have.

TL;DR my parents use it, almost everyone does, whats wrong? (unless you're talking abortion which means somethings wrong in your life other than the baby)

Last edited:
Back