Connection issues with TF Forums

Xandar

For the past few months, I have been having some significant connection problems with these forums. I access them on three different computers, using a combination of Firefox and Explorer. All systems / software combinations seem to have problems with this, and pretty much only this forum.

Problems = difficulty getting initial connection, logging in, accessing any particular forum or post. Most times it just times out. Normally it takes about 3 reloads to access any particular page.

Before the issue comes up, I am aware of the PM issues which were recently discovered, but the problem still exists after this was reported as corrected.

Am I the only one having these issues?

For the past few months, I have been having some significant connection problems with these forums. I access them on three different computers, using a combination of Firefox and Explorer. All systems / software combinations seem to have problems with this, and pretty much only this forum.

Problems = difficulty getting initial connection, logging in, accessing any particular forum or post. Most times it just times out. Normally it takes about 3 reloads to access any particular page.

Before the issue comes up, I am aware of the PM issues which were recently discovered, but the problem still exists after this was reported as corrected.

Am I the only one having these issues?
I can confidently say it's not the forums, server or our datacenter due to the fact that fi it were those things i would be getting hammered in e-mail, phone clals and text messages.

What errors do you get? Also are you running an internet security suite of any kind? It is usually only during certain times of hte day? Have you tried using another connection or another computer on that connection?

with three different computers, each using a different set-up and different security setting, and with three different networks unconnected to the other, i get the same problems.

Systems = Ancient Laptop (best performance accessing forums actually) running typical business security software; 1 yr old laptop running Dell Standard stuff; and ancient desktop - runs esset anti virus and a free, non microsoft firewall. I don't like any security "suite" as they tend to be full of bloatware as well, so choose individual items which serve a specific purpose. I have tried disabling firewalls with no performance increase.

Networks = 3g phone modem (which I play WoW over much of the time with between 200 and 300 or so latency); hard wired home ATT network, hard wired business network.

Several combination's of the above have been tried, but all have issues. Desktop at home is unusable for viewing the forums as I cannot even log in to the forums. Ancient laptop over phone 3g network is the best, but still times out about 1/2 the time. Other combo's are in between.

Last edited:
There's something endemic to your setups. you say they are old..they could be timing out due to the cga server is throwing things out faster than your machines can process. #rd party firewalls are always problematic...if you are running xp sp2 or higher the ms firewall is fine. it seems like you have a proxy on the machines(have you scanned the machines with malwarebytes?) Something is blocking the machines and i can say with confidence either it's a setup issue or a malware issue.

Interesting. 1 machine is one yr old, uses standard settings, etc. All systems get scanned weekly for malware, using two different scanners to make sure there are no problems.

I have no problems with the assertion that there could be set-up problems, but then I would have to believe that 3 systems, each set up by three different individuals (one by me, one my company IT group, one by Dell), each using a different strategy of system protection all have exactly the same set-up "issue". All three are using the latest version of their particular browser, and the only one with a proxy has the best performance of the bunch, with respect to accessing the web site. I even tried it from a neighbor's computer and had the same issue (so a fourth set-up).

If there are no problems anyone else is having, fine. I was hoping to be able to determine the issue involved, but it seems I will just have to live with it for now. Thanks for trying.

Back